Author Topic: Game of the year contenders  (Read 1657 times)

Game of the year contenders
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:23:27 pm »
I know the year isn't over yet but within 1-2 months we'll start to hear from The Game Awards and various gaming websites/journalists what games they consider worthy of the title game of the year. Based on what's released so far this year what games do you think will wind up in the GOTY conversation/ what is your game/games of the year. My bet's are Monster Hunter Rise, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, and maaaybe Halo Infinite?.

Also what's getting snubbed this year. My bet is Pokemon Snap.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:25:32 pm by martymcfly »

Re: Game of the year contenders
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 06:54:36 pm »
For my personal GOTY, I'm not 100% sure yet, there isn't a ton else coming out that'll likely overtake what I've already played, as my hype for Halo Infinite is kinda low, though I am interested and want to be surprised, Battlefield 2042 could be good if it runs well, and I'm hoping to really like FF14: Endwalker, but really, that's just more FF14.  Oh and Dying Light 2 is another I'm really excited for, so we'll see how that goes.

As it is, it's maybe Monster Hunter Rise or Resident Evil Village.  Rise is great, though it didn't engage me as much as World, and RE8 is great, but I had some performance issues on PC that kept me from doing my usual multiple playthroughs, but it'll likely be one of them.  Nothing else really hit as hard as I liked Returnal, except I hated its story, and I probably won't play Ratchet & Clank any time soon.

As for what will be the more industry expected GOTY...Hard to say.  Halo Infinite won't count as a lot of places have their cutoff usually around or before December, so I'm not expecting it a lot of places and what is releasing is not the complete game either.  I could see it being Monster Hunter Rise, Returnal, or maybe Resident Evil Village.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 06:58:18 pm »
It Takes Two might get a few. I'd like to see Ratchet win overall but doesn't seem likely.

gameawards.net is a pretty good site for GOTY games.

None of these really seem like clear winners based off past winners. Deathloop did get a 10 from both IGN and GameSpot though and they are both probably part of The Game Awards selection process.

Next year will be wild though with Horizon, God of War, Zelda, Elden Ring..

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 06:59:49 pm »
For my personal GOTY, I'm not 100% sure yet, there isn't a ton else coming out that'll likely overtake what I've already played, as my hype for Halo Infinite is kinda low, though I am interested and want to be surprised, Battlefield 2042 could be good if it runs well, and I'm hoping to really like FF14: Endwalker, but really, that's just more FF14.  Oh and Dying Light 2 is another I'm really excited for, so we'll see how that goes.

As it is, it's maybe Monster Hunter Rise or Resident Evil Village.  Rise is great, though it didn't engage me as much as World, and RE8 is great, but I had some performance issues on PC that kept me from doing my usual multiple playthroughs, but it'll likely be one of them.  Nothing else really hit as hard as I liked Returnal, except I hated its story, and I probably won't play Ratchet & Clank any time soon.

As for what will be the more industry expected GOTY...Hard to say.  Halo Infinite won't count as a lot of places have their cutoff usually around or before December, so I'm not expecting it a lot of places and what is releasing is not the complete game either.  I could see it being Monster Hunter Rise, Returnal, or maybe Resident Evil Village.
Dying Light 2 was recently delayed to February.

alligo

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 06:49:49 am »
Psychonauts 2 even if I don't believe it
https://vgcollect.com/alligo

I don't need a guitar, I'm a Rockstar

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 07:22:25 am »
Based on all the reviews I've read and conversations I've had, right now I'd say the only real contender is DeathloopReturnal has a good show of sneaking in, and depending on the strength of the rest of the year I think Resident Evil Village has a shot as well, as a crowd pleaser nominee.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 07:52:13 am »
Dying Light 2 was recently delayed to February.

Aww butts, I must've missed the news.  Welp, 2022 is sounding like it's gonna be a pretty stacked year lol

And yeah I can see Deathloop having a chance from how people are liking it, I kinda forgot about it as that game has such anti-hype for me for no real reason other than I felt they were constantly showing it off at events for real long lengths of time, so it just really turned me off the game.

telekill

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 08:59:45 am »
Everything that would have been my GoTY contender was delayed so now remasters are my contenders.

- Mass Effect Legendary Edition
 - Judgment

Then there's potential for these that are either not out or I have yet to play...

- Crusin Blast
 - Hot Wheels
 - Lost Judgment
 - JW Evolution 2

It's been a pathetic year for me gaming-wise.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 11:00:42 am by telekill »

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 09:15:26 am »
I don't think anything mindblowing has come out or will come out this year.

dhaabi

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 12:50:32 pm »
From everything I've seen, Returnal, Deathloop, and maybe Psychonauts 2 are definite contenders. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Resident Evil Village? Sure, they're fine games, but I don't think they meet the expectations to be GOTY candidates.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 04:35:18 pm »
Sure, Resident Evil Village was good, I liked it...but game of the year material? Nah, its not like its Resident Evil 2 or anything.

But at the same time, I can't think if anything better I played, either. Damn Coronavirus pushing everything back.

Metroid: Dread comes out in a couple weeks. Here's to hoping it's a contender. I eagerly look forward to it

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 06:18:09 pm »
What constitutes a Game of the Year? Is it sales? Is it popularity? Is it critical acclaim? Is it something that transcends and elevates the genre or generation it's in?

Tough questions to answer, but for me the Game of the Year would be "It Takes Two". It incorporates just about every genre of video game and I've never seen anything done with that kind of ambition and done so well too.

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 09:26:22 am »
This year was definitely anemic in terms of great games. I don't have a PS5, but from what I've seen of Returnal and Ratchet & Clank those are contenders. Deathloop for sure, and Psychonauts 2 only because there's not much else. I highly doubt Halo Infinite will make the cut as most games in December don't tend to make it for that year, and I have low expectations for that game. I have a friend who is a game tester for 343, and I've seen the first level of the campaign (he wasn't "supposed to show me" but work from home during lockdowns at the beginning of this year made it possible) There were lighting and graphical issues that needed fixing, but it seemed like standard Halo affair.

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 03:25:43 pm »
Chivalry 2   ;)

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 02:12:09 pm »
This year was a pretty weak year tbh.

Right now, my GOTY is Yakuza 7 (Because the PS5 port was this year).  I expect Metroid Dread and/or Lost Judgment to top that for me though.