Author Topic: How Many Of You Forum Attenders and Viewers Still Play Retro Video Games  (Read 1728 times)

And when I mean retro I mean PC retro, or 7th console generation and before generally games released between 1976-2015 or perhaps newer mods for older games or newer released 8-bit or 16-bit games for older consoles or PC's

in fact that is all I play when it comes to video games, all I ever hear when it comes to modern video games is RPG or open world exploring games, or even RPG strategy games or mobile games.

Do you think all the games pre generation will be lost in time?, I hope not,

For you born after 2010 in my own opinion you really should look into these old games your parents and possibly even your grandparents or great grandparents played in their lifetime

people who grew up in the 1970's and 1980's when the video game industry began pretty much are now growing into their 50's and late 40's others in their mid to late 30's (date of post) now, and people like that grew up in the 1990's and 2000's are really the ones who seen the video game industry make the most improvements.  (edit) (Graphic wise)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 12:00:10 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

Re: How Many Of You Forum Attenders and Viewers Still Play Retro Video Games
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 07:29:04 am »
There are at least three of us where several of the most recent games we have played have been Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games from 30 years ago.

telekill

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 08:18:00 am »
Boom. What he said ^^.

Ninja Turtles forever.  8) -- Even beat the original again.

Warmsignal

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 09:52:29 am »
Lately, I've been mostly interested in 5th gen stuff, a very interesting time to have been a gamer. Although, back then without Internet and without magazines, my knowledge of what was available then was very limited. In 1995, the only video game consoles which I knew existed was NES, SNES, Genesis, and "Atari" (meaning 2600). Even when I went to video rental stores at the time, I don't recall seeing any other types of games. All of my friends had SNES, or Genesis.

For my brother and I, our first next-gen (fifth gen) game experience was getting the N64, which became my favorite console of all time over the following years. It wouldn't be until the later 90s and 2000s that I'd learn about the many game systems that existed both before and during that point, and it kinda blew my mind.

Today, I'm more of a retro player. I prefer the simplicity of an era when games were straightforward, and the wow factor was just more in the fact that the games simulated their target concept what-so-ever. Today, it's like modern game devs bend over backwards trying to come up with a bunch of obtuse concepts to throw into their new games in order to keep the gameplay fresh and unique, and it just needlessly over-complicates the games. A typical side-scroller today needs to have a skill tree, crafting, it must be rouge-like, random generation of levels, random re-spawing of characters, etc, etc. It's like, why does there need to be so many layers to a damn side-scroller these days?

Guess I'm a boomer. I prefer old-school, straight forward, difficult gameplay that requires you GIT GUD, or else. No bells of whistles necessary.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:54:11 am by Warmsignal »

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:36 am »
I play a lot of retro games mostly nes,snes,genesis,ps1. currently Im playing lunar but I don’t play on original platforms I have a Xbox S that has thousands of games downloaded to it. It’s so much easier than   dealing with hooking up a reto console every time I want to play something different.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 11:11:02 am »
Yes, Gamecube and PS2 for life  8)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 11:50:34 am »
Right here. Still have all my consoles hooked up and currently in the middle of the original Resident Evil. Trying to do a Chris playthrough and getting wrecked by utter lack of ammo, thinking of starting over the easy route with Jill.

telly

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 02:29:41 pm »
I'm probably going to play some old Castlevania games in honor of Halloween month!  8)
Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy VI (SNESc), The Last Guardian (PS4)

My music collection | My Backloggery

empovyle

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 03:13:09 pm »
Still play retro games all the time especially for achievements lately. RetroAchievements is actually getting PS2 support tomorrow (Oct. 1st) so I'm very excited for that, even though I can hardly fathom considering PS2 "retro." Aw man I'm getting old.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 04:55:34 pm »
I play PS2 very often. Never really got into NES stuff tho
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

kypherion

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 08:18:47 pm »
Personally, it feels odd calling anything before 7th gen retro. However, I have been playing some stuff that can be considered retro. Just beat FF3 and 4 along with extra grinding including the superbosses (yeah it's the psp port of 3 and 4 but it's basically the same game). Given that I'm awake and September has ended, I think it's time to get in the October mood with some Castlevania! Maybe I'll finally get around to beating III and Dissonance...

So, yeah. It's not that hard now with the various collections and mid online packages offered by the main companies. Not to mention the forbidden E word...
"Well, As The Philosopher Jagger Once Said, 'You Can't Always Get What You Want.'"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 09:13:59 pm »
Personally, it feels odd calling anything before 7th gen retro. However, I have been playing some stuff that can be considered retro. Just beat FF3 and 4 along with extra grinding including the superbosses (yeah it's the psp port of 3 and 4 but it's basically the same game). Given that I'm awake and September has ended, I think it's time to get in the October mood with some Castlevania! Maybe I'll finally get around to beating III and Dissonance...

So, yeah. It's not that hard now with the various collections and mid online packages offered by the main companies. Not to mention the forbidden E word...

Excrement?

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 11:12:23 pm »

Excrement?

Evanescence?

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2022, 03:24:51 am »

Excrement?

Evanescence?

lol I think he or she means EA, or Electronic Arts

why Evanescence? were you referring to the band? hey I like that rock band, or at least the stuff that they produced during the PS2 era even though that is all they play on other rock radio stations day after day
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:26:46 am by oldgamerz »
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)

(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)

NO APPS NEEDED

google "THE ANGEL CLASSIC ROCK MIX" StreamFinder is best.

64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage

over 21,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

stealthrush

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 09:32:47 pm »
Me  :D

I primarily play 1979-2005 and occasional new homebrew games released on old systems in the 8-bit, 16-bit. Arcade (emulation), Sega Saturn, Neo•Geo, PC Engine / TurboGrafx-16 + CD, Sega Genesis / Mega Drive + CD, Super Nintendo / Super Famicom, PlayStation, Dreamcast, Nintendo DS, PlayStation 2. I've been getting into Nintendo Wii, Wii U, and Panasonic 3DO Interactive Multiplayer these days.

I would say I play retro games 90% of the time, the remaining 10% for the very few Steam games I buy (exclusive Fighting game genre) Street Fighter V, The King of Fighters XIV.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 09:35:23 pm by stealthrush »