Author Topic: Concord - PlayStation's biggest flop?  (Read 1574 times)

Re: Concord - PlayStation's biggest flop?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2024, 01:56:32 am »
I doubt it's their biggest flop, but I fully expect this to be shut down by the end of the year. These Overwatch clones just can't capture the same lightning in a bottle. I don't know why Sony needs this. They have Helldivers 2 which is doing gangbusters. The game looks totally phoned by a bunch of people who were forced to make this. No love, no personality, just literally made to make money.
Why do you doubt this being their biggest flop?

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2024, 01:12:25 pm »
THAT IS INSANE HOLY CRAP

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2024, 01:57:04 pm »
Now if you will, A moment of silence for Concords tens of players... Okay anyways

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2024, 03:28:30 pm »
My guess is they could try and retool it and put it back out F2P, they need to try and recoup something, but at this point, even that might be unlikely with how little interest there is in the game.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2024, 03:43:07 pm »
Not quite as quick as the demise of "The Culling 2" but it didn't last much longer.

These online only games...yuck.

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2024, 04:03:55 pm »
The one thing I hope that comes out of this, not to put a positive spin on this shitty thing to happen to the devs, but to have a more hopeful look in the future, is that I'm hoping studios are less willing to invest in these live service games and realize that people want proper games. Solid singleplayer experiences or interesting multiplayer games that aren't loaded with Battle Passes, micro transactions, and other nonsense.  Even Concord wasn't that bad in that regard, but the market is over-saturated with live service games and most of these live service games don't stand out because most people are just gonna keep playing the ones that have been going for awhile like Overwatch, Fortnite, CoD, etc...

It's also a thing of studios needing to reorient how they make games, because a lot of games are getting pretty crazy budgets, so they have to do such high numbers, that if they can't come out the gate in a massive way, they'll never succeed.  It's a big factor into all these massive layoffs that have been going on.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2024, 06:10:21 pm »
Just a reminder this had a physical release in stores. Seems unprecedented for a physically released game. Lawbreakers did have an LRG release though.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2024, 06:27:46 pm »
One thing I hope is that Astro Bot does really great, so that Sony sees a very clear thing of what does and what doesn't work since Astro Bot is release the same day Concord is going offline.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2024, 06:31:22 pm »
Okay so according to information I read on Forbes...
- around 25,000 units sold
- estimated $1 million earned from those sales
- budget for the game was around $100 Million

Ignoring that they just put into a calculator 25,000x 40 into a calculator to get the 1 million number... If these numbers are correct (which this also forgets the % steam, Epic and physical stores take so they can profit off the game) that means in less than 2 weeks they only made less than 1% of their budget back. The first week is when most games tend to make the most Money in their lifetime.

Now take this with a grain of salt as I don't know all the variables so it could be more or most likely less. If you Factor in the other variables your looking at <1% of the budget made back. Using just what Steam's share is said to be (which quick search says is 30%) for simplicity of the 10k in PC sales, also saying PS5 sales 100% is counted. you're looking at around $880,000 or 0.88% of the budget made back... Yikes
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 06:33:43 pm by redblaze57 »

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2024, 06:42:59 pm »
Not quite as quick as the demise of "The Culling 2" but it didn't last much longer.

That was the first game I thought of when I read this. That and that one Love Live game that announced both it's release and sunsetting in the same news blurb. Thought Culling lasted a little longer, but I checked and nope, it only lasted 8 days itself.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2024, 10:40:52 pm »
Okay so according to information I read on Forbes...
- around 25,000 units sold
- estimated $1 million earned from those sales
- budget for the game was around $100 Million

Ignoring that they just put into a calculator 25,000x 40 into a calculator to get the 1 million number... If these numbers are correct (which this also forgets the % steam, Epic and physical stores take so they can profit off the game) that means in less than 2 weeks they only made less than 1% of their budget back. The first week is when most games tend to make the most Money in their lifetime.

Now take this with a grain of salt as I don't know all the variables so it could be more or most likely less. If you Factor in the other variables your looking at <1% of the budget made back. Using just what Steam's share is said to be (which quick search says is 30%) for simplicity of the 10k in PC sales, also saying PS5 sales 100% is counted. you're looking at around $880,000 or 0.88% of the budget made back... Yikes
I feel like $100 million is on the low end and the cost of acquiring the developer should be factored into the budget. I don't see how they survive unless they become a Bungie support studio or something.

People are paying $100+ for copies of the game on eBay and well over $100 for the controller that SONY IS STILL SELLING YOU IDIOTS. Literally in stock on the PlayStaion Direct store right now.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 10:52:30 pm by weirdfeline »

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2024, 11:36:26 pm »
I was at Walmart this evening and saw a few physical copies still in the case. I thought about buying one as a collector's item, but I couldn't bring myself to do it at $70. Maybe I'll regret it when these physical games are going for $200+ one day, but this game looked so shitty I doubt that will ever happen, even if it's very rare.

dhaabi

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2024, 09:28:01 am »
I was at Walmart this evening and saw a few physical copies still in the case. I thought about buying one as a collector's item, but I couldn't bring myself to do it at $70. Maybe I'll regret it when these physical games are going for $200+ one day, but this game looked so shitty I doubt that will ever happen, even if it's very rare.

The MSRP for Concord was set at $39.99 and was listed accordingly on Walmart's website. But, even at that price, I'd have passed on it too. I don't buy games as a means of investment.