Author Topic: Concord - PlayStation's biggest flop?  (Read 1567 times)

BinaryMessiah

Re: Concord - PlayStation's biggest flop?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2024, 04:58:22 pm »
I was right! It's being shut down 2 weeks after launch so technically, my prediction for before the end of the year was correct. My thought on this is either:

1. Some group in the team is very untalented and they phoned this in

2. They pitched a better idea and were forced to shape the game the way it is today against their will

3. The entire idea was really bad and someone at Sony approved this not knowing what the hell a good game even is and was just seeing dollar signs

4. A combination of them all

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2024, 05:01:31 pm »
I doubt it's their biggest flop, but I fully expect this to be shut down by the end of the year. These Overwatch clones just can't capture the same lightning in a bottle. I don't know why Sony needs this. They have Helldivers 2 which is doing gangbusters. The game looks totally phoned by a bunch of people who were forced to make this. No love, no personality, just literally made to make money.
Why do you doubt this being their biggest flop?

Sony as a whole also has movie flops that cost way more. Destiny has also been a huge loss for them so buying Bungie was not the long term money making machine they thought they would have. Sony has been around for a long time. They have had bigger losses, this isn't the worst of them. They have had multiple online multiplayer games like MAG that flopped hard. They shuttered Zipper Interactive after poor sales of the last SOCOM game and Unit 13 for Vita. The Vita itself was a huge flop despite it's great reception and sales shortly after launch. Concord is a blip in their history of flops.

telekill

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2024, 08:04:24 am »
Revisiting this as I think Concord will go down as one of Sony's quickest commercial flops, but I'm going to agree with Binary in that the acquisition of Bungie was far more costly.

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2024, 12:59:35 pm »
I was at Walmart this evening and saw a few physical copies still in the case. I thought about buying one as a collector's item, but I couldn't bring myself to do it at $70. Maybe I'll regret it when these physical games are going for $200+ one day, but this game looked so shitty I doubt that will ever happen, even if it's very rare.

The MSRP for Concord was set at $39.99 and was listed accordingly on Walmart's website. But, even at that price, I'd have passed on it too. I don't buy games as a means of investment.

Even at $40 I still don't feel bad about not picking a copy up lol. Someone in a Facebook gaming group I belong to posted a pic of people trying to sell physical copies for ~$200 already. That didn't take long.

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2024, 06:29:02 pm »
Already turning out to be the way I thought it could, but as Concord goes out, Sony is getting what is currently one of the second best reviewed games of the year with Astro Bot, a character I think started out in PSVR, then was a PS5 tech demo, and is now set to hopefully do really great in a genre that is mostly non-existent with Sony nowadays.  This needs to big the biggest slap to the face of Sony as it can be to make them realize what people actually want.  Trend chasing, expending massive amounts of cash, and spending excessive years to make a game is bad business.  They need to have more than just the biggest possible hits, they need those mid-level releases that don't cost all of the money and don't need to make 10+ million in sales with continued years of microtransactions, it's not sustainable.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2024, 10:21:03 pm »
Already turning out to be the way I thought it could, but as Concord goes out, Sony is getting what is currently one of the second best reviewed games of the year with Astro Bot, a character I think started out in PSVR, then was a PS5 tech demo, and is now set to hopefully do really great in a genre that is mostly non-existent with Sony nowadays.  This needs to big the biggest slap to the face of Sony as it can be to make them realize what people actually want.  Trend chasing, expending massive amounts of cash, and spending excessive years to make a game is bad business.  They need to have more than just the biggest possible hits, they need those mid-level releases that don't cost all of the money and don't need to make 10+ million in sales with continued years of microtransactions, it's not sustainable.
I thought he started out in 2013 with the PlayStation Camera and The Playroom? I don't think he was named Astro Bot at that time but Asobi.

Ratchet is apparently getting another game in 2029 or so.

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2024, 10:25:54 pm »
I doubt it's their biggest flop, but I fully expect this to be shut down by the end of the year. These Overwatch clones just can't capture the same lightning in a bottle. I don't know why Sony needs this. They have Helldivers 2 which is doing gangbusters. The game looks totally phoned by a bunch of people who were forced to make this. No love, no personality, just literally made to make money.

Sony as a whole also has movie flops that cost way more. Destiny has also been a huge loss for them so buying Bungie was not the long term money making machine they thought they would have. Sony has been around for a long time. They have had bigger losses, this isn't the worst of them. They have had multiple online multiplayer games like MAG that flopped hard. They shuttered Zipper Interactive after poor sales of the last SOCOM game and Unit 13 for Vita. The Vita itself was a huge flop despite it's great reception and sales shortly after launch. Concord is a blip in their history of flops.
Well, it's about being PlayStation's biggest flop but yes they have many movies that fail. Destiny isn't a flop but it's not covering the costs of their acquisition. MAG and Unit 13 combined didn't cost nearly as much as Concord. Not sure if the Vita turned a profit or not but I feel like they probably still lost more with Concord.

« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2024, 10:36:04 pm »
I thought he started out in 2013 with the PlayStation Camera and The Playroom? I don't think he was named Astro Bot at that time but Asobi.

Technically yes from the looks of it, I didn't even know the character originally started there, but that's pretty neat to see.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2024, 11:15:02 pm »

Well, it's about being PlayStation's biggest flop but yes they have many movies that fail. Destiny isn't a flop but it's not covering the costs of their acquisition. MAG and Unit 13 combined didn't cost nearly as much as Concord. Not sure if the Vita turned a profit or not but I feel like they probably still lost more with Concord.

Don't forget that Sony also acquired Firewalk Studios, the team behind Concord last year. between how bad the game did, it's budget (which I've seen numbers between $100,000,000 and $250,000,000) and the Studio Acquisition (can't fine a number). Considering what the Break-Even point can possibly be I'm thinking it might be one of the biggest AAA flops