Author Topic: Your Top 5 of all time  (Read 6035 times)

blipcs76

Re: Your Top 5 of all time
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 09:29:33 am »
Here's my top 5:

1. Asteroids (arcade)
2. Resident Evil 4 (GC/Wii)
3. Castlevania: SOTN (PS1)
4. Bioshock (360)
5. Street Fighter II (arcade/SNES)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 02:55:53 pm »
I've really been pondering on this one.  It's hard to norrow it down to 5.  Here's a shot at it.

5)Contra
4)Mario Kart 64
3)Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
2)The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
1) Super Mario Bros. 3

I think that's it, but it changes day to day.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 07:16:13 pm by turf »

vancha

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 03:38:16 pm »
No idea what my number one would be, but here are 5 of my most beloved games ever.

1. World of Warcraft
2. Super Mario 64
3. Pokémon Blue
4. TimeSplitters 2
5. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 06:57:47 pm »
the lack of super mario bros 3 love is disturbing

5. wwf no mercy (n64)
4. mega man 2 (nes)
3. the legend of zelda: ocarina of time (n64)
2. super smash bros melee (gcn)
1. super mario bros 3 (nes)

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 03:38:23 pm »
Ive played thousands of games and don't know how any of you guys can pinpoint a top anything list... :/

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 04:07:31 pm »
Ive played thousands of games and don't know how any of you guys can pinpoint a top anything list... :/

Ha, well, mine was just a "off the top of my head" sort of list of games I remember playing and distinctly thinking, "omg this game is the best thing ever"
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »

Agreed. I could maybe make a favorite franchises list. But other than that, each genre holds their own favorites and the list is ever changing.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

soera

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:24 pm »
It was tough for me to do ... but in the end it comes down to my favorite memories of gaming and the ones I listed are games that (in my life) were really special. Final Fantasy VII simply changed my life. Ys Books 1&2 was an awesome part of my childhood. I loved playing the game and then I would take the game out and actually listen to it in a CD player. Super Metroid and Zelda: Link to the Past were the best versions of their namesake. 2 of the lines of games I grew up playing so I simply picked the most amazing ones. Dragon Warrior VII took DQ/DW games to a whole other world (literally).

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2012, 11:51:47 pm »
1. Chrono Cross
2. Final Fantasy 8
3. Ico
4. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando
5. Super Mario Bros. All-stars + World

I've played tons of games so this list always changes

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 11:05:21 pm »
1 chrono trigger
2 final fantasy 9
3 mario rpg
4 final fantasy 6
5 final fantasy tactics

shingouryu

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »
5. Persona 3 FES (PS2)

Incredibly interesting to analyze how it heavily incorporates the theme of Death as well as the fear of Death into it's storylines and characters.  Also helps that it's an incredibly solid RPG with great visuals, music, memorable characters and an awesome pantheon of Personae.  I personally prefer it over 4.

4. The Legend of Zelda:  Link to the Past (SNES)

One of the very first games I got seriously into, and the best Zelda game in my opinion (barely edging out OoT).  Gorgeous SNES goodness in terms of music and visuals, incredible dungeon design, epic bosses, smooth controls and an incredibly satisfying ending combine to make an experience that was often imitated, but never surpassed.

3.  Valkyrie Profile (PSX)

A hidden gem of a game from the PSX era, this game combines elements of platforming, dungeon crawling and turn based battles.  The game is divided into Phases, and actions like dungeon delving or recruiting party members take a certain amount of time, so there's a certain amount of pressure in that regard (though you have way more than enough time to get all the essential stuff done).  Seeing that the main character is a Valkyrie, your party members have to die before they can be recruited, and indeed the "recruitment" scenes tell the story of their (often tragic) deaths.  It also has an incredibly awesome Golden Ending, as well as the events that lead to said ending (about the last fifth of the game or so is different) but the requirements to get it are so obscure that I have no idea how anyone is supposed to figure it out without a guide.  Was recently ported to the PSP, so those who haven't experienced this classic in its original form can easily obtain it.

2.  Final Fantasy 6/3 (SNES)

The BEST Final Fantasy (again in my opinion) and the game that got me seriously into RPG's.  Awesome characters, great balance (glitches aside), incredible storytelling, Nobuo Uematsu's best musical score, and filled to the brim with unforgettable moments.  Of course, this is all headed by one of the best villains in RPG history - Kefka.  I think Gametrailers put it best in their retrospective of FF6 - "Kefka was not a supernatural being, or the collected sum of all evil, or a mind warping God from another planet, he was a man, albeit a twisted soul, who sought supreme power above all else.  He wasn't a puppet to a higher power, or a victim seeking revenge, he was just an awful human being, and a wonderful bad guy."

1. Suikoden II (PSX)

My all time favorite RPG, and game in general.  To me everything in this game is just about perfect - the battle mechanics, the characters, the music, the visuals...  The only thing that isn't consistently excellent is the translation, which is easily forgiven.  An incredible tale about war and how it divides people, benefits the opportunistic at the cost of their morality, and how so many are massacred simply for the sake of bloodlust and how the "lucky" survivors have to live with their trauma. The story includes themes of political intrigue, blind nationalism, duality between life and death, holding grudges, and the gray morality that comes with war.  However, when it all comes down to it, the story is about three children and the war that tore them apart.  I love this game and I cannot recommend it enough.

thecollector0o7

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2012, 12:06:13 am »
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.
Legend of Zelda Link to the Past.
Super Mario World.
Yoshi Island. (Super Mario World 2)
Star Fox 64

its to hard I have so many favs >>

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2012, 11:12:37 am »
5. Persona 3 FES (PS2)

Incredibly interesting to analyze how it heavily incorporates the theme of Death as well as the fear of Death into it's storylines and characters.  Also helps that it's an incredibly solid RPG with great visuals, music, memorable characters and an awesome pantheon of Personae.  I personally prefer it over 4.

A hidden gem of a game from the PSX era, this game combines elements of platforming, dungeon crawling and turn based battles.  The game is divided into Phases, and actions like dungeon delving or recruiting party members take a certain amount of time, so there's a certain amount of pressure in that regard (though you have way more than enough time to get all the essential stuff done).  Seeing that the main character is a Valkyrie, your party members have to die before they can be recruited, and indeed the "recruitment" scenes tell the story of their (often tragic) deaths.  It also has an incredibly awesome Golden Ending, as well as the events that lead to said ending (about the last fifth of the game or so is different) but the requirements to get it are so obscure that I have no idea how anyone is supposed to figure it out without a guide.  Was recently ported to the PSP, so those who haven't experienced this classic in its original form can easily obtain it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers P3 over P4!  Though I hear P4: Golden is going to be really good, so whenever I scrounge up a Vita, I'll give it another go.  I guess I just prefer the characters and music from the first one more, but I also came to P3Fes not knowing *anything* about the series while P4 had a lot to live up to.

Also, Valkyrie Profile holds a special place in my heart.  It was such an intriguing plotline, and the puzzle-platforming exploration was done pretty well.

Also, I picked up Etrian Odyssey 1 again recently (jonesing for the series after the news about #4 coming out), so nice avatar!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

htimreimer

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
5. Persona 3 FES (PS2)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who prefers P3 over P4!  Though I hear P4: Golden is going to be really good, so whenever I scrounge up a Vita, I'll give it another go.  I guess I just prefer the characters and music from the first one more, but I also came to P3Fes not knowing *anything* about the series while P4 had a lot to live up to.

Also, Valkyrie Profile holds a special place in my heart.  It was such an intriguing plotline, and the puzzle-platforming exploration was done pretty well.

Also, I picked up Etrian Odyssey 1 again recently (jonesing for the series after the news about #4 coming out), so nice avatar!
small question how many must have games dose the vita have all i here of are the games that ranges from ok to vare bad

desocietas

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:29 pm »
small question how many must have games dose the vita have all i here of are the games that ranges from ok to vare bad

I don't have a Vita, so I don't know... but already I have P4 and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward on their way... :\

For the most part, all the Vita owners I've heard from say they regret the purchase.  Puracz's post mentions that similar feeling: http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1907.0.html
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas