Author Topic: Treasure-Hunters Treasure Maps!  (Read 2852 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Treasure-Hunters Treasure Maps!
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:33 am »
Okay.

Just by reading all of the enthusiastic posts most all of us make in the "recently added to collection" topic...it's obvious that many of us enjoy/spend time going to garage-sales, pawn shops, flea-markets, and the like  :D

I know that I'm always thrilled when I find the odd old, rare, and valuable gem w/ a $1 or $2 price-tag on it  ;D

However, I also know how much I *really* *DISLIKE* the feeling that I get when I see a bunch of games (for a system that I'm unfamiliar with)...and, for all I know, I could be walking away from a box full of valuable treasures -and- just not know it  :'(

So, the creation of this topic!

I'd like to have people list, say, the top games to be on the look-out for for all of the different platforms out there...

I'd know a great PS1 or PS2 deal anyday...but...when it comes to many other platforms...I'm just clueless.

So, I'll start it off w/ listing a few for the PS1 & 2:

PS(1):

Suikoden 2, Valkyrie Profile, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, Tactics: Ogre, Tomba

PS(2):

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 (*not* the 1st one, though), Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

Re: Treasure-Hunters Treasure Maps!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 10:18:11 am »
PS(1):
Tomba

I thought Tomba 2 was even more sought after.

I normally pull out my phone when I know nothing about the game or if it's cheap enough I'll just take the chance.

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:15 am »
Turbografx-16 - Soldier Blade, Magical Chase, Somer Assault, Darkwing Duck, Bonk 3, Neutopia II, Shockman, Air Zonk, Samurai Ghost, New Adventure Island, Legend of Hero Tonma, Bomberman 93

Turbografx-CD - Godzilla, Bonk 3, , Exile II, Shadowgate, Dynastic Hero, Super Air Zonk, Might and Magic III, Dungeon Explorer II, Syd Mead’s Terraforming

Sega Master System - ALF, Power Strike, Sonic the Hedgehog, Buster Douglas KO Boxing, Michael Jackson's MoonWalker, Strider, Spiderman, Alex Kid in Shinobi World, Golden Axe Warrior.

NES - Dragon Warrior III, Dragon Warrior IV, Bonk's Adventure, Little Samson, Rescue Rangers 2, Duck Tales 2, Stadium Events, Flinstones suprise at Dinosaur Peak, Bubble Bobble 2, Snow Brothers, Contra Force.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 11:39:47 am »
PS(1):
Tomba

I thought Tomba 2 was even more sought after.

Both of the Tomba games are relatively rare & valuable.
If I remember correctly, they were pretty close (C.I.B.) while the 1st one was considerably higher-priced (in *sealed* conditions).

I normally pull out my phone when I know nothing about the game or if it's cheap enough I'll just take the chance.

Yeah...I would also do that if I had a cell-phone w/ that capability (mine's an old one; pretty much only good for making/receiving calls (which I happen to *LIKE*, btw)...and, YES, I also enjoyed my video game consoles *MUCH*, *MUCH* more when they were just that = just for playing games on  :o

Anyhow, since I can't do that...I thought that I always *could*, at least, print-out a copy of this to take w/ me when I go out looking for some games to buy.

Huh.
Thinking about it now...I think that I would *personally* find that more enjoyable than just looking shit up on a phone  8)

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 11:45:57 am »
A few that come to mind:

(NES) Fire & Ice, Bomberman, Bomberman 2

(SNES) Earthbound
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 12:38:57 pm »
PS2 (CIB) - Odin Sphere, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Radiata Stories, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII & IX, Romancing Saga, Unlimited Saga, Mobile Light Force 2, Document of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Getting a bit off-topic:

I didn't think Odin Sphere was that difficult to find (I got it new maybe a year or two after it was out - cheap), but still haven't gotten around to playing it.  Radiata Stories is quite good, and I'm sad I never picked it up before it went up in price a bit more.

Unlimited Saga, however, is a dreadful game.  I love RPGs, especially on the PS2, but for some reason, that game was completely unplayable for me.  I had absolutely no idea what was going on and had to return it to the rental shop.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:50:37 pm »
PS2 (CIB) - Odin Sphere, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Radiata Stories, Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII & IX, Romancing Saga, Unlimited Saga, Mobile Light Force 2, Document of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Getting a bit off-topic:

I didn't think Odin Sphere was that difficult to find (I got it new maybe a year or two after it was out - cheap), but still haven't gotten around to playing it.  Radiata Stories is quite good, and I'm sad I never picked it up before it went up in price a bit more.

Unlimited Saga, however, is a dreadful game.  I love RPGs, especially on the PS2, but for some reason, that game was completely unplayable for me.  I had absolutely no idea what was going on and had to return it to the rental shop.

Ha ya I misread (skimmed) the topic and then made my list. Thinking it was a list of games we are looking for, for others to keep an eye out for. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »

Getting a bit off-topic:

Ha ya I misread (skimmed) the topic and then made my list. Thinking it was a list of games we are looking for, for others to keep an eye out for. ha

I think that's a good thread topic, too, actually.  Sometimes I see stuff in the store that I think someone might want (and I already own) but am not sure.  I guess that's what the wishlists are for...  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

soera

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »
I can list a few of the ones I know.

NES : Flintstones Surprise at Dino Park, Jetsons, Snow Bros, Bonks, Little Samson, Panic Restuarant
PS1 : Valkyrie Profile, Misadventures of Tron Bonne, Suikoden II, Tales of Destiny 1&2
PS2 : Baldur's gate 2
SNES : Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 1&2, Final Fantasy 2&3, Earthbound
N64 : Clayfighter's Scultors cut, Conker's Bad fur day
SMS : Ultima IV, Golden Axe Warrior, James Buster boxing
Saturn : Magic Knight Rayearth, Albert Odyssey
CD : Vay, Lunar 1&2, Popful Mail

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »

Yeah, I really liked Radiata Stories a lot...enough to play through both sides, and get 100% recruitment of both humans and non-humans  ;)
I also wasn't aware that Odin Sphere and/or Radiata were considered hard to find at all - I guess it all depends on where you live & what's available in your local stores...but...I often see both of those games used (but C.I.B.) at most of my local Gamestop stores.

Unlimited Saga, however, is a dreadful game.  I love RPGs, especially on the PS2, but for some reason, that game was completely unplayable for me.

I've heard that about Unlimited SaGa...
However, from being friends w/ many people on many varied "RPG" boards & sites - I've actually found the game to be very much one of those *Extremely* divisive (read: "Love/Hate") games...
To be fair & honest, though...I must point-out that it seems to be about a 70% to a 30% split (w/ the 30% being on the "Love It" side  ::)
Those that I know who love it...well...they're *completely* in love with it/enamored by the game; while, on the flip-side...those who hate it...well...they do so...*vehemently*.
As a closing thought/line on this game - I've seen it said (*Often*) that, something as simple as, for example,  *opening up a treasure chest*...has taken many people *HOURS* (AND A GUIDE/FAQ) to learn how to do these kinds of things in this game  :'(

No problem...see below   8)

I think that's a good thread topic, too, actually.  Sometimes I see stuff in the store that I think someone might want (and I already own) but am not sure.  I guess that's what the wishlists are for...  ::)

I'm *totally*/100% in agreement with this.
I know that we have designated "wishlists" here, but, I'd have absolutely no problem at all if you all want to *"Merge"* this topic to include both sorts of lists...

By this, I simply mean:

A). Writing/"Designating" *one* of your lists as "the most valuable/rare games for each system"; in general, and

B). Writing/"Designating" your 2nd/other list as games that you'd like to pick-up...and if any of our fellow VGCollect community members 'happens' to come across it in our travels...we could then, pick it up - and let whoever it was that was interested in it know that we obtained a copy for them & arrange shipping for it -
...in fact, it could kinda' even work as an "extension" of the "Pay it Forward" thread  ;D

jcalder8

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 04:31:14 pm »
Xbox: Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Star Wars Knights of the old Republic 1 and 2

Xbox 360: Asterix  at the Olympic games, Bioshock LE, Any Assassin's Creed LE, Tales of Vesperia SE - bonus if it has the extra sound tracks, Mass Effect 1, 2 and 3 LE

scott

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 05:14:00 pm »
B). Writing/"Designating" your 2nd/other list as games that you'd like to pick-up...and if any of our fellow VGCollect community members 'happens' to come across it in our travels...we could then, pick it up - and let whoever it was that was interested in it know that we obtained a copy for them & arrange shipping for it -
...in fact, it could kinda' even work as an "extension" of the "Pay it Forward" thread  ;D

I like that idea, in fact, I'll start it as a new thread using my post.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »
Atari 2600: Not all of them, but what I usually look for. (Atariage.com has a great complete rarity guide):
Air Raid, Quadrun, Pepsi Invaders, Magicard, and Atlantis II (Looks like a normal Atlantis cart with the night scene, but has an Atlantis II sticker on it.)
Definitely not a complete list so make sure to check Atariage if your interested.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

amauriel

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:21 pm »
I'm going to put more as I think of them, but off the top of my head:

SNES: E.V.O.: Search for Eden, Harvest Moon

N64:  Harvest Moon 64

GBA: Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (the regular one, not MORE, is worth very little. It needs to have the title in pink and have a girl on the front to be the good one.)

GBC: Shantae

Virtual Boy: Jack Bros.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 03:33:58 am »
Gamecube-CIB- Fire Emblem, Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes, Cubivore, Zelda Collector's Edition and Ocarina of time master quest package, Phantasy Star Online episode I & II Plus, and the PSO original release too