Author Topic: home-ridden!  (Read 3661 times)

desocietas

home-ridden!
« on: August 13, 2012, 11:03:36 pm »
Heya folks... I just wanted to post because I haven't been able to check on the forums too much since I had double-jaw surgery on Friday.

I was pretty optimistic about it (have been planning on the surgery for at least a year) and was expecting to do all sorts of gaming while stuck at home (I'm taking at least 4 weeks off work).

Unfortunately, my head swelled up *way* more than I thought it would, and it's surprising how much a drastic change like that to your body would exhaust a person.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!  Still checking on the forums when I can, but might not always be able to throw in a lil' jab here and there like I normally would.

Living vicariously through you gaming guys currently,
Nancy
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

atariboy

Re: home-ridden!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 11:46:20 pm »
Here's hoping you get better soon.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

soera

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:50:24 pm »
Get better soon! :)

jobocan

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:51:37 pm »
Just looked up double-jaw surgery... Sounds painful.

Hopefully the procedure went well and all the swelling will start dying down soon. I know that surgery is insanely exhausting so the best thing is to sleep it off. Though hopefully you'll be able to sneak in some gaming time in there :P

Keep us updated on how things are going!

Oh, and get well soon :P

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 12:11:22 am »
Thanks for the nice thoughts!

The pain isn't so bad so far - it's the swelling that's got me down the most.  I was home alone for a bit today, and of course that's when the UPS guy decides to show up.

He saw me last Thursday (right before the surgery) - if he recognized me at all, he probably had a heart attack  :-[
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

htimreimer

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:47:22 am »
Heya folks... I just wanted to post because I haven't been able to check on the forums too much since I had double-jaw surgery on Friday.

I was pretty optimistic about it (have been planning on the surgery for at least a year) and was expecting to do all sorts of gaming while stuck at home (I'm taking at least 4 weeks off work).

Unfortunately, my head swelled up *way* more than I thought it would, and it's surprising how much a drastic change like that to your body would exhaust a person.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!  Still checking on the forums when I can, but might not always be able to throw in a lil' jab here and there like I normally would.

Living vicariously through you gaming guys currently,
Nancy
get better soon and why did you need the surgery???

madmax

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 06:43:44 am »
Alex, my girlfriend, needed to get that as well. She was bed ridden for 3 weeks. She could barely speak.
I hope you're dong ok.

psydswipe

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:05:41 am »
Sounds awful  :(  Hope you feel better soon  :D

scott

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 08:44:20 am »
Get well soon!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:05 am »
Kick back, take it easy, and do what it takes to get well.  Maybe this time next week you'll have the energy to get to all that gaming you had planned.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:00 am »
Hang in there & hope you feel better soon!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

jcalder8

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 10:58:38 am »
That sucks, get better soon.

Between you and htimreimer the users on here are recovering from head to toe!

scott

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »

I see what you did there. :P
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »

lol thanks for that one
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

desocietas

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 01:46:20 pm »
get better soon and why did you need the surgery???

thanks!  i've had an overbite at least since my pre-teens and no dental insurance.  once i hit my twenties and got a full-time job with health benefits, I decided to take the long, arduous task to get my teeth to where they should be.  a few oral surgeries, removal of teeth, and a year of braces so far, and this surgery was pretty much the last big hurdle.  prior to getting braces, all the orthos i consulted with said the surgery would give me the best results as my bottom jaw was too short for just braces to correct the overbite.  I thought it'd be just a single jaw surgery up until two weeks ago - the surgeon said she was planning on doing both jaws to really get the results I wanted (would suck to get the surgery and still not be fully happy with the results).

It was scary, but a coworker had the same surgery (just to her lower jaw, though - she was luckier than me) and knowing that my insurance would cover the whole thing made it a much easier choice.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas