Author Topic: Recently Added to Other Collections  (Read 91111 times)

Re: Recently Added to Other Collections
« Reply #615 on: September 04, 2015, 04:56:19 pm »
Forgot today was the release of the new Star Wars toys and the only thing I really wanted was the Captain Phasma figure.  Sadly I don't think there's a chance of getting the black series one, but while most good stuff was gone at Toys R Us and Walmart, Target was doing well with their toys, so I wandered in late in the afternoon and found the regular toy version.  It's not as cool as the proper chrome the character actually has, but I like her.  Hoping she turns out to be a good character in the new movie and isn't just running on "Boba Fett" hype lol

Warmsignal

« Reply #616 on: September 14, 2015, 08:31:25 pm »

The latest album by Mr. Reznor proves to me that he still has it. This is a pretty good album overall. A minimalist and somewhat playful approach to his trademark industrial ballads. My top tracks on this right now are "copy of a" and "i would for you". Still got a lot more listening to do on this one.

I picked up Matriarch by Veil of Maya. These guys never disappoint. This stuff is catchy, unique and really at the top of the genre if you ask me. A lot of the hooks aren't exactly stellar, but I can live with them. Overall though, a great listen.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 09:13:04 pm by Warmsignal »

Warmsignal

« Reply #617 on: October 08, 2015, 02:33:31 am »

I've had Language by The Contortionist for a few weeks now. It's a grower, but I'm ready to admit it's no Exoplanet. These guys did Deathcore so well, and blended it seamlessly with melody. Now they've thrown everything out but melody. Perhaps too much melody. Some of the riffs are kind of aimless and long winded when they shouldn't be. The heavy parts sound half-hearted, and there's a lot of repetition. The phrase "ebb and flow" is used way too many times. The vocals are good, the drums are groovy, the atmosphere is pleasant. It's good, but doesn't quite measure up.

Deliver Us, another exceptional album in the library of Darkest Hour. The Devin Townsend era was really a peak for the band, even if I hate to admit it. These songs kick your ass and stay in your head all day long. The songwriting is brilliant. Every track is gripping, moody, heavy, melodic, everything that they need to be without overstaying their welcome. What else can I say? If you're a fan of melodic metal, you need to own this. One of the band's definitive albums.

Carnavus by Silversun Pickups. Such a refreshing band they were when this album came out. Fuzzy guitar, shoegazing, strange harmonies, and odd lyrics. Love the production on this one. The songs were groovy as hell. A lot of people compare them to Smashing Pumpkins. I like Silversun Pickups better. Future Foe Scenerios, fantastic song. So many other great ones on here too. Impressive as a debut.

Swoon also by Silversun Pickups. Swoon is a lot like Carnavus but even better. Great songwriting, creepy vibes, and oh man, this guy knows how to write some of the catchiest hooks. This album is fantastic. Highly recommended if you like alternative. The definitive album, if you ask me.

Better Nature, the most recent Silversun Pickups release. Er... man, I wanted to like this one. The sad reality is I can't, I just don't like it that much. They're going far too 80s synth pop for my tastes. I can't really get into any of the songs, I was really disappointed with this one. Maybe it'll grown some on me, but right now I'm feeling pretty revolted by it. They have the potential for far better than this kind of stuff.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:15:18 am by Warmsignal »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #618 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:46 pm »
Comic given to me
-Evil Dead 2: Beyond Dead By Dawn

Manga
-Reiko the Zombie Shop Vols. 4&5 (this completes the US set since they discontinued the translation after 6)

« Reply #619 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:02 pm »
Not often I find this kind of stuff in the wild and while it is pretty barebones, missing parts along with the crappy box, I just don't ever find things like this at thrift shops.

*EDIT*
And looking online, I just realized the missiles they tossed into the box with the vehicle, are not the ones that go with this lol I was wondering why they didn't fit anywhere they were supposed to be.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:53:46 pm by kamikazekeeg »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #620 on: January 01, 2016, 03:57:43 pm »
^ U would have loved that as a kid! Action figures were a way of life at one time.

A shot of the some of the recent stuff I've gotten. It was just sitting all together because I hadn't gotten around to putting these particular things away yet.

It looked like a good time!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #621 on: January 05, 2016, 01:02:26 pm »

Oh man, this was soooo good. One of the best comics I've read in a while. Fantastic sci-fi writing, with social themes, and some amazing-looking artwork that was pretty realistic looking. Great Elseworlds tale!

I haven't had a comic keep this glued from beginning to end for a while. If you're a sci-fi fan, and a Superman fan, you CAN'T miss this one!

Long story synopsis:

In the story, Superman is a human, born to Martha and Jonathan Kent. The Earth, however, is in it's last days because of a massive meteorite that is on a collision course with Earth. Jonathan Kent is a top scientist in this world and is the only one that is trying to inform the public about it, while the world's governments are knee-deep in the Cold War of the 1960s. So Jonathan funnels funding money and uses it to build a rocket for Clark to survive in. That rocket finds it's way to Krypton, via a wormhole, and lands near the home of Jor-El.

Now this is where it gets good. Jor-El is a scientist is a scientist with a spark of adventure to him. The rest of Krypton has become islationist, sterile, and overly-cautious of anything outside of their personal little bubble. But Jor-El secretly takes the child, and raises as his own. He builds and a special environment where Kal-El can adjust to Krypton's atmosphere and gravity, and he raises him as his own.

Soon Kal-El gets his own sense of adventure and goes out to find out what happened to the ancient Krypton civilization, since no one else on the planet seems to care. In the meantime, a "green death" is creeping across the planet, killing Kryptonian with radiation poisoning, in a time when death is a rarity in Kryptonian society. In his explorations of the planet, Kal-El come across the corpse of a long-dead Green Lantern, and is chosen as the next Green Lantern of Krypton's space-sector. The energies of the Power Battery awaken long dormant and forgotten memories of his time as an infant on Earth. This leads Kal-El to go to his father and question his origins. Jor-El reveals the truth to him and tells him the only reason he never told him, is because he loved him as his own son and wanted to raise him on Krypton without the xenophobic attitudes of their society. Jor-El then tells him of the problems of the "green death", which Kal-El didn't realize because he was exploring. He then uses his newfound GL powers to make control rods (like in a nuclear plant) and launches them into the core of the planet, saving Krypton.

After that act, he uses his ring to travel to Earth. He finds that there is a pocket of humanity surviving in harsh conditions. And it is led by none other than Lex Luthor, who rules as a tyrant. There is a small pocket of rebels refusing to join him. Luthor soon starts to launch an attack against him. At this point, Kal-El as seen enough and puts a stop to it. Lex soon gets a hold of Kal-El's Power Battery and Ring. This leads Kal to discover that he has the powers of a "Super-Man" on Earth, due to be adjusted to Krypton's environment. He uses them to take out Luthor and his army, and re-acquire his ring and battery. He vows to stay and help the suviving humanity. This leads the Guardians to strip him of his Ring and Battery, though, as it makes him derelict to his duties in space. Which all sets-up for a new Superman to lead humanity to future on this harsh Earth.

So, anyone have any other Steve Gerber recommendations for me? Because I REALLY liked this.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #622 on: January 05, 2016, 02:44:02 pm »
Especially for all the Americans, a old sugar sachet from th US.

gf78

« Reply #623 on: February 09, 2016, 02:29:43 pm »
Been amassing an enormous Star Wars collection.  Particularly cool to me are the comics.  I haven't read Star Wars comics in years, since the end of the first Marvel era.  Now that the franchise is back in Marvel's hands, the first thing I did was pick up the three Omnibus volumes that cover all of the original 107 issue Marvel run as well as annuals, specials and other stuff.  They are absolutely HUGE.  Each book is well over 1000 pages.  I next picked up the three hardcover books that reprint the Return of the Jedi Mini-series as well as the the particular issues of the main series that covered A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back.  Then, picked up all the trade paperbacks for the current Marvel books.

And I have to say, the art and writing in these new books is superb.  While I loved the original Marvel series, the art was pretty rough and today, it's hard to look at.  I think that with Disney owning both Star Wars and Marvel now, they insisted on top writers and artists working on the new books.  I don't really have an interest in trying to buy individual issues these days as I sold my comic collection off years ago and the only comic shop within 60 miles is ran by a creep who ogles young girls, but I will continue to order the trade paperbacks as they come along.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #624 on: March 19, 2016, 12:32:17 pm »
Been focusing on my horror movie collection lately. This is stuff I've picked up in the last month or so:

Flashback2012

« Reply #625 on: March 20, 2016, 04:35:44 am »
Found this at a Half Price Books across town last week...

Shazam!: The Golden Age of the World's Mightiest Mortal (Image is far too big to link)
http://www.amazon.com/Shazam-Golden-Worlds-Mightiest-Mortal/dp/0810995964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458462488&sr=8-1&keywords=9780810995963

Also, I happened upon this gem today...

Tex Avery: The Mgm Years, 1942-1955
http://www.amazon.com/Tex-Avery-Mgm-Years-1942-1955/dp/1570362912/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458461581&sr=8-1&keywords=9781570362910

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #626 on: April 08, 2016, 01:50:54 pm »
I recently got "His Name Was Jason", and apparently I should have ordered this one instead. I just learned of it, and immediately ordered it, waiting on it to arrive, now.

Apparently it's made by the same people that made "Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy", which was a freaking excellent documentary on the Elm Street series. This is supposed to give the same treatment to the Friday the 13th Series. 7 hours long! I'm looking forward to it!

Should be better than the "His Name Was Jason" one. That one was all over the place, and couldn't stay on track. And it was more like a bunch of quick comments on stuff from people, like VH1's pop-up video. Wasn't impressed with it.

« Reply #627 on: April 09, 2016, 05:18:30 pm »
I just come back from the Japan Touch & Geek Touch, a french expo based on manga, games and anime (and everything that come from japan, clothes and food too), a small but great expo, there is no chance that i won't go back to it next year.

At first i thought i was not going to buy much, sure i found two new anime series (well... new for me at least since i never seen them before, it's Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water & Gankutsuou) and a awesome poster on Okami (great colors and the quality of the paper is great too) but i couldn't find much more (i don't really loose my time on the overpriced consoles and games, i've seen the price for the Neo Geo it was enough for me) but that was until i've found a small stand with hundreds of game & anime OST (and the prices was good too, each cd was at 5€ and they're still new & sealed), it was the paradise for me, i got 4 new .Hack// (Extra Soundtrack, Character Song & Story, Game Music Perfect Collection and Liminality Original Sountrack, i now own 11 OST from that series), 2 on Star Ocean Till the End of Time (one on the first version and one on the Director's Cut version), a Valkyrie Profile 2, Eternal Arcadia, The Legend of Dragoon, Radiata Stories, a arrangement album on Star Ocean & Valkyrie Profile and probably the best one for me the 4 CD Original Soundtrack from Suikoden V  8)

davifus

« Reply #628 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:16 pm »
My Last of Us Vinyl finally came in! Long wait with factory misprint messes and etc.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #629 on: April 20, 2016, 02:00:45 am »
Metshael, nice .hack// OST pick up.

Badges