Author Topic: Is the the kind of Swag we want listed?  (Read 3589 times)

jcalder8

Is the the kind of Swag we want listed?
« on: September 24, 2012, 02:27:09 am »
I know this has been brought up before but there has never been a real conclusion, I think as the Site continues to grow we will need to have firmer guidelines. So with that in mind, should this be listed:

http://vgcollect.com/item/31052

To me this is not a video game item so it should not be listed. If we don't cone up with a rule soon the Site could get overrun with this type of merchandise.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:17:14 am by jcalder8 »

soera

Re: Is the the kind of Swag we want listed?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:10 am »
Link is not working.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 08:49:45 am »

jcalder8

matt

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:22 pm »
I think we are going to come up with an official ruling soon. I'll make a post when we do.

The basic and original idea for Swag was a way to track pre-order or pack in bonuses.

soera

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »
I think Swag is all a matter of personal preference. Here is my list of swag : http://vgcollect.com/soera/swag

Most of it is pre-order stuff but I did add my Slime drinks as they are part of my collection. They dont have anything with the games per se but I do considering them my DQ swag.

jcalder8

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
I think we are going to come up with an official ruling soon. I'll make a post when we do.
Thanks for the update matt

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
I think Swag is all a matter of personal preference. Here is my list of swag : http://vgcollect.com/soera/swag

Most of it is pre-order stuff but I did add my Slime drinks as they are part of my collection. They dont have anything with the games per se but I do considering them my DQ swag.

Seconded.

*Exactly*
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 03:50:55 pm »
I still say we should allow other game-related items, like music, books, comics, and movies.

Not sure about edible items... *shrugs*

lordmeatpie

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 11:52:35 pm »
I still say we should allow other game-related items, like music, books, comics, and movies.

I always thought swag was just anything collectible really. Maybe there could be another listing for things people dont consider swag?
The link quoted above was something I added, along with a bunch of other boxed Nintendo candies in collectible boxes (all mine are still sealed of course, I bought extras to eat because theyre f'n delicious hahaha), a bunch of video game related books, dvds, action figures and t-shirts.
I collect anything with Nintendo characters on it. Buying a Mario Pez Dispenser to me is the same as buying a Mario Belt Buckle, a Super Mario Galaxy 200 Piece Puzzle or a Resident Evil t-shirt. its all part of my collection.

EDIT:: Maybe it could just be a category titled "Collectibles & Video Game Junk" lol
Now Playing: Borderlands 2 (PS3) / Crystalis (NES)

https://www.facebook.com/lordmeatpiegrind
The Obnoxious Canadian Acoustic Grinder

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:18 am »
So long as it's official merchandise then (unless the rulings change) I think it's all fair game as relevant "swag". That sort of thing isn't something I'm personally interested in collecting or looking at but then again I'm sure most people aren't interested in my Monster Hunter light novel or Eiyuu Densetsu sheet music so it all balances out :)

scott

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 09:16:57 am »

Ya I've been wrestling with the question "what is swag" for awhile.  I do think that gaming related swag would include officially licensed merch of all kinds, such as my Super Mario Yahtzee, or Hallmark Arcade Ornaments. Like Matt said, originally the basic idea was for it to be a catch all for pre-order items. But, I could see allowing books, music, comics and movies. Especially since a lot of those are already being released as pre-order bonuses anyway.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 09:23:01 am »
Thinking about it, it could go either way. "Swag" is a really broad word that could reasonably be taken to mean anything videogame related, so I think if the intention is/was "Preorder bonus items" then the category should be renamed. At the moment I don't see a problem with the "Swag" category containing any and all official merchandise... but if that's not what it was meant for then it needs clarifying and cleaning up (IMO).

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 11:18:56 am »
Thinking about it, it could go either way. "Swag" is a really broad word that could reasonably be taken to mean anything videogame related, so I think if the intention is/was "Preorder bonus items" then the category should be renamed. At the moment I don't see a problem with the "Swag" category containing any and all official merchandise... but if that's not what it was meant for then it needs clarifying and cleaning up (IMO).
Seconded.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 11:36:12 am »
Seconded.

Third-ed.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"