Author Topic: Where do you buy your games?  (Read 9121 times)

anton

Re: Where do you buy your games?
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 07:03:29 am »
Yeah i would do it, but i need a good camera for the covers, not crappy phone camera.
Plus need to get the covers/info etc.
And the sumbit/edit i did are not approved yet. It's been 2 weeks or something, but i heard the admin is the only one who can approve or something.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 10:08:54 am »
Yeah i would do it, but i need a good camera for the covers, not crappy phone camera.
Plus need to get the covers/info etc.
And the sumbit/edit i did are not approved yet. It's been 2 weeks or something, but i heard the admin is the only one who can approve or something.

Are you sure that they weren't already approved...and maybe you just missed the notification message (at the top of your screen) when logging-in?

I know that I've done that before -but- you can always double-check your # of Edits/Submissions in your user-profile, too :)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

blipcs76

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 10:12:46 am »
I get most of my games from garage sales, thrift stores and pawn shops.  If there's something I'm really looking for, I'll hit a local game store (there are several in the area that carry retro stuff) or as a last resort, eBay.  I don't think I've bought from eBay in about two years; at one time I was buying off eBay almost every week there for a while, but this was back when I was single and CIB NES games rarely cost over $10.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 10:16:21 am »
I get most of my games from garage sales, thrift stores and pawn shops.  If there's something I'm really looking for, I'll hit a local game store (there are several in the area that carry retro stuff) or as a last resort, eBay.  I don't think I've bought from eBay in about two years; at one time I was buying off eBay almost every week there for a while, but this was back when I was single and CIB NES games rarely cost over $10.

I went through a phase where I went kinda' crazy ordering games from Amazon & Amazon sellers for a few months a few years ago; but, I've yet to *ever* buy *anything* on E-Bay yet.

I think I've also bought a few games through Craig's List 2 or 3 times...

anton

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:17 am »
Are you sure that they weren't already approved...and maybe you just missed the notification message (at the top of your screen) when logging-in?

I know that I've done that before -but- you can always double-check your # of Edits/Submissions in your user-profile, too :)
Well i checked, there's no # of edit sub in my profile.
But i was able to add these items to my collection so.... I dont know really.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 11:37:43 am »

Well i checked, there's no # of edit sub in my profile.
But i was able to add these items to my collection so.... I dont know really.

Yeah - I should have been more specific...it's not shown in your "regular" user profile, per se.

What you would do - to see your edit/submission stats is:

1).  Click-on your name Anton in one of your posts,

2).  On the top of the screen, click-on profile,

3).  Click-on View Collection, and

4).  (After clicking-on "View Collection"), in the top-left part of your screen -IN BIG LETTERS-; you'll see:

"Anton's Collection",

Click-on "Anton's" here...and it will bring you to a 'more detailed' "Stat" page :)

*E.D.I.T.*

- I just took a quick look at your page, and it's presently showing:

"0 Edits" & "5 Submissions" :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 11:40:40 am by disgaeniac »

scott

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 07:42:37 pm »
Anton,

When you submit new games to the database they are automatically added to the database, no need for admin approvals. Edits on the other hand need admin approval and I don't really remember if I saw edits w/ your name on it or not, but I do know that I the last few times I've approved edits I only denied a couple that had watermarked images. So, I'm not sure what happened to any edits you may have submitted.

Maybe one of the other admin knows?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

anton

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 07:36:28 am »
Oh alright, i think i only submitted new games not edit. I thought new game counts as an "edit". My bad.

scott

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:40 am »
It's cool.  :)
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

artikskarab

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2012, 02:08:06 am »
I think the discussion went somewhere else...

For my part, it's not complicated.
Step 1: My workplace... I work at a canadian video game retail store called Microplay. We're kind of like canadian Gamestops (even though we have those also...), except we're not jerks to our customers, we have old and new games... and we give life-time warranties on used games for free!
Step 2: Pawnshops
Step 3: Best Buy and Gamestop
Step 4: Amazon and Ebay
Crying does not show your weakness... Crying means you have the strength to accept all of your emotions!
Now playing: Ratchet & Clank Collection - PS3

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2013, 03:59:59 pm »
Does anyone know if lukie games only a online retailer or is it also a walk in store?

jobocan

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 04:40:37 pm »
Does anyone know if lukie games only a online retailer or is it also a walk in store?

From what I read on their facebook, they're not allowed to have a retail space at their current location.

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 11:47:33 pm »
depends on what I'm looking for or for what system. Player 1 Video Game Store a place that sells retro as well as swag and even the new stuff. I mainly only go there because I like his store and enjoy the friendly environment but also because The owner actually knows his stuff about games. I also learned alot about those ripoff carts for example "NES version of Earthbound" because I brought him one thinking I had something awesome. Any other time I search everyonce in awile at Pawnshops, Garage Sales, Flea markets, Thrift Stores, and Craigslist..

I would advise if going to Flea Markets always make sure that you know the going price of the game. Also be careful of the people selling nothing but games because alot of times 10 dollars more than what you could pay somewhere else will make a difference.. A couple of times, if I didn't have my phone with me I almost would have gotten games 10-20 dollars more than there going price.. Or maybe that is some swindling cowboy trick that happens only in Texas...
Currently Playing - Plants Vs. Zombies: Warfare (PC) / Looking for Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II Manual

nanner666

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
I usually hit up our local flea market when the weather is nice. Local resale shops, and then local retro game shops if i'm looking for something specific.
plus craigs list.
With EVERYONE having smart phones and Ebays inflated prices on retro games now a days its hard to get REALLY good deals even at a flea market.
Not saying its impossible but it makes it a lot harder.

I haven't hit up any garage sales since i started this hobby, so when the weather gets nice that will probably be a weekly thing for me.

And the best place i have found to get good deals on sega games (since that's all i collect) is FACEBOOK. yes FACEBOOK.
If you look there are people creating re sale groups you can join and scroll through everyone's post's of used stuff they are trying to sell.

Just Monday i spotted a posting by a girl who was at her moms resale shop and had a sega with about 10 or 12 games for sale.
She posted a list and saw she had 2 games that i wanted and only cost 6 dollars a piece. Both were complete and in box. Both worth well over the 6 dollar price tag. drove to the town next to me and grabbed them up. From when she posted to when i bought the games it probably only took an hour at most.  I currently am a member of 6 resale groups with a combined total of 16,667 members. That is ALOT of people selling stuff. plus these groups are searchable for specific things.
Cant tell you how many game lots i have bought for cheap this way.

« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2013, 10:11:59 am »
I usually hit up our local flea market when the weather is nice. Local resale shops, and then local retro game shops if i'm looking for something specific.
plus craigs list.
With EVERYONE having smart phones and Ebays inflated prices on retro games now a days its hard to get REALLY good deals even at a flea market.
Not saying its impossible but it makes it a lot harder.

I haven't hit up any garage sales since i started this hobby, so when the weather gets nice that will probably be a weekly thing for me.

And the best place i have found to get good deals on sega games (since that's all i collect) is FACEBOOK. yes FACEBOOK.
If you look there are people creating re sale groups you can join and scroll through everyone's post's of used stuff they are trying to sell.

Just Monday i spotted a posting by a girl who was at her moms resale shop and had a sega with about 10 or 12 games for sale.
She posted a list and saw she had 2 games that i wanted and only cost 6 dollars a piece. Both were complete and in box. Both worth well over the 6 dollar price tag. drove to the town next to me and grabbed them up. From when she posted to when i bought the games it probably only took an hour at most.  I currently am a member of 6 resale groups with a combined total of 16,667 members. That is ALOT of people selling stuff. plus these groups are searchable for specific things.
Cant tell you how many game lots i have bought for cheap this way.

could not agree more with the face book comment.
im part of 2 of them and so far i have got my NES SNES Dreamcast N64 (spare which i gave to a friend) and Genisis (x2 mk1 and mk2) 2 gameboy colors dsi and 3DS and a load of games.
only issues i have had so far is my NES needed a new 72pin but thats easy to change
the 3ds was the most expensive at $60