Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1602932 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1815 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »
I almost believe everyone about Drakengard, but sure enough! Glad I picked this game up a while ago. Actually didn't find the 2nd one until about 6-months ago, think I paid around $5 for it.

argyle

« Reply #1816 on: March 12, 2014, 11:12:44 pm »
I almost believe everyone about Drakengard, but sure enough! Glad I picked this game up a while ago. Actually didn't find the 2nd one until about 6-months ago, think I paid around $5 for it.

I'm jealous.  :)  Definitely one I'm keeping my eyes open for - not about to pay $60 for it. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1817 on: March 13, 2014, 01:07:08 am »
I liked Drakengard...  To me, the game played similarly to Dynasty Warriors, and I mean that nicely.  I liked Dynasty Warriors up to Dynasty Warriors 4, then stopped paying attention.

Maybe I should check out the Drakengard series again.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

foxhack

« Reply #1818 on: March 13, 2014, 02:01:12 am »
In case you were wondering what I meant by this, there's a bit of a story behind that comment.

I go to a weekly flea market across the border, well, every week. There are several regulars who, like myself, go to buy stuff to resell on the internet. I've... developed a sort of relationship with these people over the years - if I spot something that's in their particular field (artwork, decorations, electronics, vinyl records, etc.), I tell them about it. Likewise if they see something in my field (video games, CDs, music, doohickies), they'll let me know.

There are also many other people who, like myself, collect music and movies. There's two in particular who I'm very fond of: One's a middle aged gentleman from a city up North who introduced me to various new genres. Another is a middle-aged African American woman from the Los Angeles area who shares a passion for Jazz and uh... Black? music from the 50s to the 70s. (Though she bought a vinyl LP with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson last week, which weirded me the hell out. The guy sings? WTF.)

Anyway. Over the past five to six months I've noticed someone new pop up once in a while at the booth where I get most of my music and DVDs: A girl, probably around 16/17 years old, who goes to look for stuff along with who I assume are her parents. She usually starts digging through the same boxes I do and asks me if I'd see music similar to the stuff she picks up, since she realizes I've already dug through most of the boxes when she gets there. All polite, of course.

And she surprised me because of her tastes. They are nothing what you'd expect to see in someone her age. She picks stuff in various genres and eras - who would expect a teenager this day and age to ask if there's albums by Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, and The Who in the same sentence? She also appears to be a big game nerd, and may be a reseller (or a trader) herself.

We were both around the booth when they brought out the box with the games I mentioned in that other post. I grabbed some games, one of them being Baten Kaitos. She said that she was interested in the game, and I said I'd been looking for it too. To be honest I wanted that game to resell it. The game was in decent condition, so I figured I could get some money out of it.

And then I realized... I probably shouldn't.

To put it bluntly, my karma is in the negative thousands, to say the least. I... did... bad things to some people in my past before I got into this hobby full-time. Several years after that I realized that I would never be able to set that stuff right, so I should try to help out others when they need my help. Be kind. Not be a dick. That sort of thing. (This is also why I feel bothered when someone gives me something for free or cheap. I don't feel like I deserve it when people are nice to me.)

So I told her, "Here. Take it. I'll probably not get to it anytime soon." By then she'd already grabbed six or seven titles from the box. I only kept StarFox because I really did want that game for myself. She said thanks. I paid for my game and left.

That's one down. I still have like a million to go.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1819 on: March 13, 2014, 07:06:10 am »
In case you were wondering what I meant by this, there's a bit of a story behind that comment.

I go to a weekly flea market across the border, well, every week. There are several regulars who, like myself, go to buy stuff to resell on the internet. I've... developed a sort of relationship with these people over the years - if I spot something that's in their particular field (artwork, decorations, electronics, vinyl records, etc.), I tell them about it. Likewise if they see something in my field (video games, CDs, music, doohickies), they'll let me know.

There are also many other people who, like myself, collect music and movies. There's two in particular who I'm very fond of: One's a middle aged gentleman from a city up North who introduced me to various new genres. Another is a middle-aged African American woman from the Los Angeles area who shares a passion for Jazz and uh... Black? music from the 50s to the 70s. (Though she bought a vinyl LP with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson last week, which weirded me the hell out. The guy sings? WTF.)

Anyway. Over the past five to six months I've noticed someone new pop up once in a while at the booth where I get most of my music and DVDs: A girl, probably around 16/17 years old, who goes to look for stuff along with who I assume are her parents. She usually starts digging through the same boxes I do and asks me if I'd see music similar to the stuff she picks up, since she realizes I've already dug through most of the boxes when she gets there. All polite, of course.

And she surprised me because of her tastes. They are nothing what you'd expect to see in someone her age. She picks stuff in various genres and eras - who would expect a teenager this day and age to ask if there's albums by Elvis, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, and The Who in the same sentence? She also appears to be a big game nerd, and may be a reseller (or a trader) herself.

We were both around the booth when they brought out the box with the games I mentioned in that other post. I grabbed some games, one of them being Baten Kaitos. She said that she was interested in the game, and I said I'd been looking for it too. To be honest I wanted that game to resell it. The game was in decent condition, so I figured I could get some money out of it.

And then I realized... I probably shouldn't.

To put it bluntly, my karma is in the negative thousands, to say the least. I... did... bad things to some people in my past before I got into this hobby full-time. Several years after that I realized that I would never be able to set that stuff right, so I should try to help out others when they need my help. Be kind. Not be a dick. That sort of thing. (This is also why I feel bothered when someone gives me something for free or cheap. I don't feel like I deserve it when people are nice to me.)

So I told her, "Here. Take it. I'll probably not get to it anytime soon." By then she'd already grabbed six or seven titles from the box. I only kept StarFox because I really did want that game for myself. She said thanks. I paid for my game and left.

tl;dr =

*Foxhack has a Crush on someone*   :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

soera

« Reply #1821 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:59 am »
Aww hell, that game sounds awesome. Apparently the first game doesnt have a physical copy and thats probably why I havent heard of it. Wonder if this one will? If it does, Ill be first in line to pick up a copy.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1822 on: March 13, 2014, 11:22:57 am »
Aww hell, that game sounds awesome. Apparently the first game doesnt have a physical copy and thats probably why I havent heard of it. Wonder if this one will? If it does, Ill be first in line to pick up a copy.

Yeah; no physical copy on the 1st one -and- I'm not sure about the new one getting a physical release either   >:(

*BUT*, Soera (and I know that we both think & feel the same way about 'non-physical' game releases)...Costume Quest is one of few that I've made an exception for -and- never regretted it.

I think you'd love it!

It's a cute, turn-based RPG with a combat system that's pretty similar to the "DressSpheres" in FFX-2...*STRONGLY* recommend that you give it a shot   ;)

foxhack

« Reply #1823 on: March 13, 2014, 11:44:15 am »
tl;dr =

*Foxhack has a Crush on someone*   :o

Not at all.

I'm just happy to see a teenager in my hometown that isn't completely braindead and still appreciates the "old things".

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1824 on: March 13, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »
Not at all.

Me thinks that the FoxyHacker dost protest too much  :P

foxhack

« Reply #1825 on: March 13, 2014, 04:54:14 pm »
Back on my earlier topic, the seller I mentioned gave me a $11 shipping quote.

He's probably making like $8 off the postage. Stupid powersellers. Why do they do this. ;_;

scott

« Reply #1826 on: March 13, 2014, 04:56:40 pm »
I hate that. I hate worse, is when you're buying multiple things from the same seller on Amazon. And the way Amazon works, each item is it's own shipping so you end up gouged for multiple items which are more than likely all going to be in the same box.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

argyle

« Reply #1827 on: March 13, 2014, 05:17:04 pm »
And Amazon is even worse about people using over-inflated shipping fees because when you search for an item and it tells you something like "also available new/used starting at $x.xx", that price does not include shipping.  There was one reseller I started noticing that always did it, they would undercut the next cheapest seller by $10-$20 or more but have shipping that actually made them even more expensive. 

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #1828 on: March 13, 2014, 05:42:38 pm »
I hate that. I hate worse, is when you're buying multiple things from the same seller on Amazon. And the way Amazon works, each item is it's own shipping so you end up gouged for multiple items which are more than likely all going to be in the same box.
It can end up being worse for me.

My local postmaster hates media mail. If my package ends up being flagged and inspected, I'd end up having to pay the extra shipping cost before even getting my package. It's happened to me once. Who's gonna cover that?

If he was using a Priority Flat Rate box, I wouldn't mind. But he's not...

karyann

« Reply #1829 on: March 13, 2014, 06:16:37 pm »

That's actually pretty sweet. And I don't say that in a Disgaeniac-y (:P) , "lovey" kind of way, but more in a "nice gesture" one :) I bet she was really happy. I'd tend to encourage these kind of people too, I guess. "Youngsters" with such interests are usually great by my experience :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:18:12 pm by karyann »