Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1647984 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #3705 on: September 28, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
THE GOOD =

w/ my B-Day coming up on October 25th & knowing my past history + current & continuing track record of 'Impulse' buying & buying whatever I want before and w/o any discussion (read: "permission" :P  ) or advance notice (yep - it's one of my Many (but charming) flaws and one of Carrie's Many (very justfied) pet peeves)...my girl knows me well enough by now to figure out some way to make sure that I don't, unknowingly, (re)-buy something that she wants to/plans on giving me for a gift...

...so, I'm now aware that, as part of my B-Day loot, she's pre-ordered a PSTV for me  ;D ;D ;D

THE NOT AS GOOD =

the PSTV comes out (and, she'll be picking it up at GS) on October 14th -and- she's dead-set (unyielding & relentless) in her resolve + determination to...'enforce' (LOL) not letting me have it, use it, or even "letting" ( :-[  ) me bust open that bad boy to look at it & fondle it...and/or even read whatever papers/manuals may come with it...until the 25th  :-\

1st world problems, to be sure  8)

Anyone else got one pre-ordered or picking one up next month?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

abe

« Reply #3706 on: September 28, 2014, 05:15:08 pm »
THE GOOD =

w/ my B-Day coming up on October 25th & knowing my past history + current & continuing track record of 'Impulse' buying & buying whatever I want before and w/o any discussion (read: "permission" :P  ) or advance notice (yep - it's one of my Many (but charming) flaws and one of Carrie's Many (very justfied) pet peeves)...my girl knows me well enough by now to figure out some way to make sure that I don't, unknowingly, (re)-buy something that she wants to/plans on giving me for a gift...

...so, I'm now aware that, as part of my B-Day loot, she's pre-ordered a PSTV for me  ;D ;D ;D

THE NOT AS GOOD =

the PSTV comes out (and, she'll be picking it up at GS) on October 14th -and- she's dead-set (unyielding & relentless) in her resolve + determination to...'enforce' (LOL) not letting me have it, use it, or even "letting" ( :-[  ) me bust open that bad boy to look at it & fondle it...and/or even read whatever papers/manuals may come with it...until the 25th  :-\

1st world problems, to be sure  8)

Anyone else got one pre-ordered or picking one up next month?

I'm considering pre-ordering one, but I've already got two games preordered coming out on the same day. :( Then again, the only new releases I'm really interested in for October are on the 14th, so it'll probably end up being a cheaper month than November even if I get a PSTV too.
Does anyone happen to know if any PS3 controllers work with the PSTV? I'm thinking it would be nice if I could use a fightstick on the PSTV, that way I can buy the Vita version of multi-platform fighting games and be able to play it on my TV and a handheld without buying the same game twice (Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!!, Blazblue: Chronophantasma, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus, etc.).
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3707 on: September 29, 2014, 06:19:42 am »
All that I know about the PSTV & controllers is that it'll support PS3 controllers at launch (not sure about non-Sony ones) and that support for PS4 controllers is "coming soon"...

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3708 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:05 am »
(2) Questions / Thoughts of the Day  8)

#1  (Probably on my mind since I found out that a PSTV is in my near future)

- With the release of the PSTV, will this make the highest number of *Different* pieces of hardware (not counting Fats, Slims, different colors, and/or limited editions of already existing hardware, etc.) that Sony's ever had going during a single generation?

*Associated questions/points of discussion*  What's the most different pieces of hardware that other companies have maintained during any single generation + what were they?

AND

#2  (Just because things are the way that they are)

- Generational 'Over-lap' = With the PS3 (and the 360, I guess) still going so strong (in terms of the quantity of (for the sake of this question/discussion - let's not include and/or talk about any cross-generational games i.e. games that are releasing on both the PS3 & the PS4/360 & the XBone) games continuing to be released for them); is this shaping up to be (or is it already) the biggest over-lap of games being released after the start of a new generation?

Mainly, is this the largest # of games and/or the longest time period of generational over-lap?

If so, which other generations & systems came closest?

If not, which other generations & systems beat it out?

Sure, I *could* look these things up on-line but - I'm guessing that with the combined knowledge here...that I won't have to  ;D

bonus (Just outta curiosity question) -

Anyone know what the current PS4 + XBone sales #'s are?

Just curious about how much ground MS made up (if any) after their $100 price cut...

karyann

« Reply #3709 on: September 29, 2014, 11:05:50 am »

- With the release of the PSTV, will this make the highest number of *Different* pieces of hardware (not counting Fats, Slims, different colors, and/or limited editions of already existing hardware, etc.) that Sony's ever had going during a single generation?

*Associated questions/points of discussion*  What's the most different pieces of hardware that other companies have maintained during any single generation + what were they?

I don't know how it is if you don't include fat/slim, but if you do, PS3 fat/slim/mega slim + PS Vita / Vita slim + PSTV makes 6 different hardware pieces, which is a lot. Then again, if you count them as being different, the 3DS/XL/2DS/New 3DS/New 3DSXL + Wii U is also 6 different hardware.  :o

- Generational 'Over-lap' = With the PS3 (and the 360, I guess) still going so strong (in terms of the quantity of (for the sake of this question/discussion - let's not include and/or talk about any cross-generational games i.e. games that are releasing on both the PS3 & the PS4/360 & the XBone) games continuing to be released for them); is this shaping up to be (or is it already) the biggest over-lap of games being released after the start of a new generation?

Mainly, is this the largest # of games and/or the longest time period of generational over-lap?

Pretty sure that the PS2 currently has the biggest overlap (with the PS3), since they stopped making PS2 games in... 2012 or 2013, can't remember exactly! That's a very big overlap.  8)

bonus (Just outta curiosity question) -

Anyone know what the current PS4 + XBone sales #'s are?

Just curious about how much ground MS made up (if any) after their $100 price cut...

I'm definitely curious about that too!

argyle

« Reply #3710 on: September 29, 2014, 11:34:02 am »

Probably.  They're still manufacturing/actively supporting the PS3, PS4, Vita and now Vita/Playstation TV.  I don't think any game company has had more than that going at once.

If so, which other generations & systems came closest?

If not, which other generations & systems beat it out?

Sheer length, it will be hard to top the PS2.  But if you're talking actual quality exclusives, I'd really have to go back & check dates.  It all blurs together after a while.  :P  It certainly seems like the PS3 is up there, but then we already hearing some of the big 2015 PS3 exclusives aren't anymore, such as Persona 5.  I expect we may get more of that - a combination of the PS4 selling much better than expected and it being (from what I hear/understand) pretty easy to program for. 

Fun fact, the PS4 marks the first Sony home console that will not natively play PS1 disks.  So there has been hardware sold in the US that will play PS1 games from 1995 - present.  Since I doubt they will stop making PS3s next year (or the next...) that will be 20+ years of solid PS1 game support!  :o
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3711 on: September 29, 2014, 12:06:52 pm »
KARYANN -

The reason that I didn't want to include launch PS3's + Slims + Mega Slims = they're still all just PS3's (one distinctive piece of hardware); just like as 3DS & a 3DS-XL are both 3DS' and/or (for a last-gen example), the PSP, PSP2000, and, the PSP3000 are all still PSP's...

...otherwise, you're right - things would get messier, more convoluted, more confusing (w/ more things to cout), and then, of course - all of the "Does this count?", "this one should be an exception because!", and - most loathsome of all...the "No fair!  Why'd you count ___ for ___ and not count ___ for me >:( "'s would start so, my idea + intent was just to try to avoid any potential 'drama'  ;D

*Begin Rant* My vexation for today is because:

After getting behind on 3 issues of GI (cuz I was reading something else for the last 4-6 weeks, or so); I finally got caught up w/ the Aug, Sep, and Oct issues -and- (even though the Oct issue has a bunch of new releases listed for 10/14 AND even though each issue has a "Gear" section for new & upcoming gaming items) -but- *Worst* of all, IMO, is the fact that GI is owned, run, and operated by GS *AND* GS stores are taking $ from customers for pre-orders and listing + planning on carrying the PSTV...there's not a single word, announcement, ad, preview or review, or even the tiniest bit of information about it  >:(

Seriously, GS...you own & publish your own fucking magazine (I know, I know - you don't like to broadcast and/or make that fact common knowledge); the least that you could do is cover the shit that you're endlessly & forever nagging your customers to pre-order and buy...bastards!

/Rant

sent them an e-mail but, I'll be shocked if they actually publish it in their "Feedback" section  :-\

karyann

« Reply #3712 on: September 29, 2014, 06:42:15 pm »
OMYGOSH. I actually won a Super Smash Bros. official towel! I participated in the Super Smash Club rules contest recently and just got an e-mail saying I won. I'm excited as hell right now!  ;D

...never thought I'd get all worked up over a towel in my whole life.

foxhack

« Reply #3713 on: September 29, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »
OMYGOSH. I actually won a Super Smash Bros. official towel! I participated in the Super Smash Club rules contest recently and just got an e-mail saying I won. I'm excited as hell right now!  ;D

Well, a towel is the most important item a hitchhiker can carry, after all.

davifus

« Reply #3714 on: September 29, 2014, 07:12:28 pm »

I died.

You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3715 on: September 30, 2014, 06:53:19 am »

I died.

You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you — daft as a brush, but very very ravenous); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course you can dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

I *really* hope that you didn't do that by memory, and that you had to look it up and/or check the book  :P

Random question: do you all know your driver's license #'s?

My girl told me that I'd be in the minority for knowing it w/o needing to look at it...is she right?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3716 on: September 30, 2014, 08:38:12 am »
Karyann -

Since I asked the question and, you said that you were interested in the answer as well...I've got 1/2 of (a pretty recent) answer regarding the PS4 and XBone sales #'s:

(this info is taken directly from GI's coverage of Gamescom in the Oct. issue) / Ps4 sales -

"The company announced it has sold more than 10 million PS4 consoles in just 9 months.  That's about 2/3 of the time it took to sell the same # of PS3's"

While MS didn't give any #'s, the same article states that:

"This generation has been a slow start for last generation's champion,"...here, I have to pause to question the validity of the use of the word "champion" because, to the best of my knowledge & memory - in the end, Sony had (at the least) caught up w/ MS' sales #'s; but, of course, I could be wrong);

- the article continues "but, head of Xbox - Phil Spencer acknowledges that "We shipped at the same time and we're in direct competition with the PS4", and, Spencer also admits that "at this point we are behind & that the Xbox team is the underdog"

Lastly, (from the same article) concerning the last of the Big 3 (Nintendo) -and- also, easily in my categories of both "Funny Shit!" & "I couldn't make this shit up" is the section of the article titled "What About Nintendo"? which states:

"Much like its approach to the 3DS, Nintendo region locks its press access.  United States outlets can't get in to see the Big N at Gamescom, but the house of Mario didn't bring anything that we didn't see at E3 anyway".

Seriously, wtf's up w/ your obsession w/ region locking, Nintendo?   :-\

argyle

« Reply #3717 on: September 30, 2014, 08:40:08 am »

My girl told me that I'd be in the minority for knowing it w/o needing to look at it...is she right?

Nope, I know my ss# but I have to check my dl# every time I'm asked for it.  Probably because it isn't that often. 

But I don't know if I'm a good example, thanks to these wonderful things we call "cell phones" I don't even know my wife's phone # off the top of my head!  :o
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3718 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:22 am »

Nope, I know my ss# but I have to check my dl# every time I'm asked for it.  Probably because it isn't that often. 

But I don't know if I'm a good example, thanks to these wonderful things we call "cell phones" I don't even know my wife's phone # off the top of my head!  :o

Ha!

I know *WHY* I know it (as well as my SS#); when I was in my late teens & early 20's...I filled out so many job applications that- after the pain in the ass of having to keep reaching in my back pocket for my wallet and then, having to find, dig out, copy the #'s and put everything away again = after the 20th to 30th time doing this...the #'s just stuck + my memory's pretty good!  ;D

soera

« Reply #3719 on: September 30, 2014, 08:56:21 am »
I know mine .. but thats cause Im weird with numbers. I dont write down people's phone numbers, I just learn them. I dont even have a cell phone. :)