Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1654493 times)

Bwigdahl

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5160 on: December 16, 2014, 07:15:59 pm »
Hey now. Don't forget about Spongebob and Game of Thrones (over on the right, shrouded in darkness)!

That entire shelf is a pretty eclectic mix lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5161 on: December 16, 2014, 08:45:10 pm »
I need to reach out to all our JRPGers here. I'm sure Kenny, Greg, Abe, and Kashell will all have something to say  ;D.

I'm looking for a couple Xmas gifts for a buddy of mine and I'm ignorant about the Tales games in most ways (I did play a fan translation of Tales of Phantasia on SNES in high school). I know he's played Tales of Symphonia on GameCube and apparently likes the game. Anyways, recently he mentioned that he was at Gamestop and was surprised to see "All these 3DS Tales remakes." If I'm correct, only one came out for 3DS (Abyss) while a bunch came out recently on Vita correct?

He doesn't have a Vita, so do you guys think someone who played Symponia would like Abyss? Also, He never played the Wii sequel. Any good? I know it's included with Chronicles so I may just get him that (and convince him to maybe give me his Gamecube version  ;D). The presents are from my girlfriend and I so he may end up with a ton of Tales games. I'm also considering Bravely Default for him as well since I raved about how great it was to him.

The sequel to Tales of Symphonia on the Wii isn't nearly as good the first Tales of Symphonia, but I wouldn't call it a bad game. The Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on the PS3 would still be worth getting even if he has the GameCube original since it's got some added features from the PS2 version that was never released outside of Japan. I would recommend the Tales of Symphonia Chronicles on the PS3. I haven't played the 3DS version of Abyss, but I've heard good things about it. Maybe you could convince your friend to buy a PlayStation TV so you can buy him Tales of Hearts R. ;) (A cheaper alternative to getting a Vita to play it on)
Psh I don't even have a PSTV yet so he can't have one yet  :P. It's been very tempting with them being $70 this past week.

We're all Playstation fans here so it'd be the PS3 version I'd be getting him.

Tales of the abyss on the 3DS is  exactly the same as the PS2 version, it's just portable. There are no new additions aside from 3D effects which are hit or miss on the 3DS so if he's never played the game before then yes it's a definite pickup,  either version.

kashell

« Reply #5162 on: December 17, 2014, 08:44:52 am »
I picked up my copy of Guilty Gear Xrd, but I haven't tried it yet. I was on firerune playing Suikoden II last night. I finally got to kill that pompous psychopath of a prince. To avoid spoilers, I'll avoid saying his name but those who played it know who I'm talking about.

Before I went to bed, I read through the instruction manual for GG. I'm really excited to dive in. I'm not sure I'll go for all of the trophies since fighting games are usually pretty tricky when it comes to doing it all. Anyway, for those who also end up getting it, I would love to play at some point.

abe

« Reply #5163 on: December 17, 2014, 08:59:27 am »
Before I went to bed, I read through the instruction manual for GG. I'm really excited to dive in. I'm not sure I'll go for all of the trophies since fighting games are usually pretty tricky when it comes to doing it all. Anyway, for those who also end up getting it, I would love to play at some point.

I've got some good (but old) news regarding that, maybe you already know this... PS3 and PS4 players can play each other online! I was hoping for this. :)
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #5164 on: December 17, 2014, 09:17:01 am »

I've got some good (but old) news regarding that, maybe you already know this... PS3 and PS4 players can play each other online! I was hoping for this. :)

Yes, this is old news but I never grow tired of hearing it. ^^ I'm glad that we'll be able to play across platforms. Are we friends on the PSN?

abe

« Reply #5165 on: December 17, 2014, 09:27:55 am »

Yes, this is old news but I never grow tired of hearing it. ^^ I'm glad that we'll be able to play across platforms. Are we friends on the PSN?

We are. :) I'll be getting my copy of GG Xrd Sign some time after Christmas after I get my PS4. I'd love to get a chance to play you then. I'll warn you now though, I'm pretty bad. I haven't played any Guilty Gear for a couple months now. :-[
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

kashell

« Reply #5166 on: December 17, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

We are. :) I'll be getting my copy of GG Xrd Sign some time after Christmas after I get my PS4. I'd love to get a chance to play you then. I'll warn you now though, I'm pretty bad. I haven't played any Guilty Gear for a couple months now. :-[

I'm not that great, either. This will be a great way for us to get good, though. Practice makes perfect. Who's your main, by the way? I've been a Venom user for years.

When it comes to fighting games, I learned that saying "I'm really good" is usually a way to set yourself up for failure. Now, with Smash Bros. I will say I'm somewhat good because I played it so often with my brothers growing up and we just...massacred anyone who tried to face off against us in competitions, at parties, etc. Fighting games are great for brining people together, but I know they're also notorious for attracting some of the scummiest lunatics from all across Trollsville.

karyann

« Reply #5167 on: December 17, 2014, 10:18:37 am »
The girl from Nerdy Nummies was given a signed 3DS from Miyamoto himself, and proceeded to play Mario Kart 8 with him. Now I'm thinking of getting a cooking show too and invite Miyamoto over. Best plan ever, I tell you.  8)

argyle

« Reply #5168 on: December 17, 2014, 10:20:44 am »
First, let me start off by saying I'm not dead. I'm sure some of you may have been concerned. :P

A combination of being sick last week & getting slammed by work this week has left me little time to post, and honestly the time I *have* had has been spent doing a little gaming. So...yeah. :)

Lots I missed I see - I think Tales was sufficiently covered. I'm a recent convert to the series, with Vesperia being the first one I played all the way through & the one that got me hooked. I've since played Graces & Xillia, which were both great - if I had to, I'd give a slight edge to Graces tho, so that's a good choice for part of the gift. I really want to play through a JRPG during my Christmas break, so I'm thinking of making Xillia 2 the one. We'll see.

Bwigdahl, extremely cute dog. :) Not as cute as MY dog, of course, but since that isn't physically possible it's nothing you should be insulted by. ;)

Kash, I don't think you understand the degree to which I suck at fighting games, but you will. ;) 

Last night a good friend came over & brought a couple of his friends with him. We decided to play some Smash. Hint: I say I suck at typical fighting games, which is true, but I have always been abysmal at Smash. I just can't get used to the controls - feels very "loose" to me and difficult to do anything accurate. I enjoy them tho, but I am an extremely casual player. Anyway, one of the guys my friend brought over was pretty good at it, and I think he thought he was showing off by beating up on us? Not really an accomplishment, esp. since I haven't even played enough of the new one to have played all the starter characters once. :P He got pretty obnoxious tho, so a good time wasn't really had. I told my buddy as he was leaving (the other guys were outside) that he'd have to come over w/ his wife sometime & we could play again, I think we'd have more fun with it just being us who A) don't know all the moves, etc and B) don't care. ;) He agreed.

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #5169 on: December 17, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Kash, I don't think you understand the degree to which I suck at fighting games, but you will. ;) 

Last night a good friend came over & brought a couple of his friends with him. We decided to play some Smash. Hint: I say I suck at typical fighting games, which is true, but I have always been abysmal at Smash. I just can't get used to the controls - feels very "loose" to me and difficult to do anything accurate. I enjoy them tho, but I am an extremely casual player. Anyway, one of the guys my friend brought over was pretty good at it, and I think he thought he was showing off by beating up on us? Not really an accomplishment, esp. since I haven't even played enough of the new one to have played all the starter characters once. :P He got pretty obnoxious tho, so a good time wasn't really had. I told my buddy as he was leaving (the other guys were outside) that he'd have to come over w/ his wife sometime & we could play again, I think we'd have more fun with it just being us who A) don't know all the moves, etc and B) don't care. ;) He agreed.

The important thing is that we have fun. That's what games are all about. No matter the skill levels, gaming together is (usually) more fun than gaming by yourself. ^^ I look forward to playing it with you. Who is your favorite character?

Regarding your experience with that person playing Smash, all I can say is...LET ME AT 'EM! Those are the types of people that I thoroughly enjoy smashing (see what I did there) in a fighting game. There's nothing better than seeing someone with an arrogant attitude get curb-stomped unexpectedly. Man, some of the stories I can tell...

Another time, maybe. ^^

argyle

« Reply #5170 on: December 17, 2014, 10:51:27 am »

The important thing is that we have fun. That's what games are all about. No matter the skill levels, gaming together is (usually) more fun than gaming by yourself. ^^ I look forward to playing it with you. Who is your favorite character?

Regarding your experience with that person playing Smash, all I can say is...LET ME AT 'EM! Those are the types of people that I thoroughly enjoy smashing (see what I did there) in a fighting game. There's nothing better than seeing someone with an arrogant attitude get curb-stomped unexpectedly. Man, some of the stories I can tell...

Another time, maybe. ^^

Man, it's been so long since I've played a GG, back in the PS2 days. Umm...I wanna say the girl w/ the anchor? :P
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

kashell

« Reply #5171 on: December 17, 2014, 11:04:49 am »
May? She's adorable. And she's in Xrd Sign.

Fun fact, her theme is my favorite in all of GG. I can listen to that song on repeat all day.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5172 on: December 17, 2014, 11:25:18 am »

I've got (maybe my favorite) one of *those* stories!

1st time sky-diving,

me and a group of about 10 friends (boys & gals) - all of us (except one girl) jumped, had a blast, and were hooked ;D

1 guy (not of our group) on the plane with us (arrogant, scum-bag, prick & asshole) >:(

while boarding the plane - he repeatedly *shouted* these directions to his poor, nice, quiet, and shy - deer-in-the-headlights girlfriend:

"Bitch!  Make damned sure you be getting my entire descent filmed right!  Don't fuck it up...so I don't have to fuck you up!" (WHY do they stay with them) :-\

The Entire 2,000 feet up..."bitch better this, and bitch better not that, etc, etc, etc"

My whole group, of course, looking at him w/ contempt & disgust.

Whelp...in addition to the one girl in my group who (somewhat bravely) didn't jump - there was ONE other person who, not only didn't jump but, (unlike our girl):

- started crying,

- legs shook & knees knocked...audibly

- *PEED*, indeed, himself, and

the entire 2,000 feet back down...was set straight by 'our girl' on who, exactly, the "bitch" in his relationship was ;D

Even his scared girlfriend partook in mockingly holoding the recorder aimed skyward...waiting to record him in all of his glory 8)

...just hope she didn't regret doing so later
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #5173 on: December 17, 2014, 11:37:04 am »
Lol, all talk.

And yeah, I hate anyone who talks to someone else like that, especially a woman. Just disgusting.  >:(

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5174 on: December 17, 2014, 11:38:26 am »

Another time, maybe. ^^

I don't even know where I truly fall with fighting games myself. anyone I do usually play is pretty much at my same level as me, which I've always felt is somewhere in the, honestly, probably lower middle range. I'm good enough to hold my own in most situations, but I know there are people out there who would absolutely destroy me in embarrassing fashion. I used to not like fighting games because I always felt I suck, but they've been growing on me more recently, and I feel I'm getting *slightly* better at most of them.