Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1597163 times)

karyann

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5430 on: January 04, 2015, 10:45:28 am »
The last few months of 2014 have been completely insane. The company I worked for would do a large, week-long outdoor on-location broadcast of a talk show. I basically live at the studio during this time getting things ready to go. At the end of September, on the last day of our biggest remote TV shoot of the year, half of the company gets laid off. A week later we're told that the company is being sold and the new company is not retaining any of the employees from our company. Last day of operation is near the end of November - on my birthday, specifically. Happy birthday, right? I interview at a few places and am told I don't have enough experience (even though I've been doing their job for the past three years in addition to plumbing, landscaping, set construction, camera operation, audio mixing and just about anything else that the boss could think of). So, I figure, why not start my own production company? I already have quite the audio stash (supported the week-long talk show and game show on location for the TV station, including house sound, separate broadcast mix, 15 wireless mic channels, etc), had a decent start on lighting and was well on my way to having a decent video kit. I've been doing a few little commercials here and there and have a background in live production prior to getting in to TV so it seems like a halfway decent idea to take a stab at while I keep poking around at other openings. I pull the trigger and start building an HD live multicamera system with three cameras, graphics, multiple recording decks, the works. Basically a TV studio in a box. Not two days after I get started I get a call from the new company - they want me to contract with them for a week to help move equipment to their studio. Things go really well; they offer me a job starting just before Christmas. So now I'm back doing what I do for a TV station AND putting the finishing touches on gear for my production company. Landed contract to provide equipment for a weekly talk show going into production in a few months so the gear can start trying to pay for itself. I just realized I haven't touched any of my game consoles since the end of August. I should probably fire up the PS3 and 360 and let them update. Will probably take them a few days. Hopefully things will calm down a bit once I get settled in at the new job so I can take a breather and relax a little.

Seems like it's been rough but things are finally getting the other way around! Congrats!  :D Good idea to keep your systems up to date; you never know when you'll have some time to play them, and you don't want to sit through 2 hours of updates when that happens  ::)

Start paying more attention to the 1/2 of your glass w/ something in it ^_*

I like this!  :)

kashell

« Reply #5431 on: January 04, 2015, 11:51:03 am »
I only skip the gym on days that end in a "y" :P

KASH -

Feb = Valentines Day?

March = 1st day of spring?

Where's the love?!

Strart paying more attention to the 1/2 of your glass w/ something in it ^_*

I need better reasons than Single's Awareness Day Valentine's Day and the first day of spring. I want days where there is no working and time for me to veg like a plant in front of a lovely console and playing a lovely game all day. XD

Actually, V-Day is one of my least favorite days of the year. Personally, I think it's important to show you care for your significant other on more than just one day that involves hearts, heart-shaped candy with sayings on them and hear-shaped boxes that are filled with heart-shaped candy with sayings on them.

Is there a fantastic new game on the horizon in the coming months? The only ones I can think of are Atelier Shallie and HD Noire.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5432 on: January 04, 2015, 12:26:09 pm »
For you sports fans, Stuart Scott died today, he was one of my favs from ESPN.... He was only 49 years old to.....

RIP Stuart Scott

"When you die, it does not mean that you lose to cancer," Scott told the audience. "You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live."
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5433 on: January 04, 2015, 12:27:31 pm »
wow, that was a mouth full.

Sorry for your initial loss but congratz on the gain, so are doing both the weekly contract and working on your production company?

After I hit "Post" my first thought was, jeez, way to write a book.  ;D
Wound up getting a full time job with the new company. It's been quite the blessing; they don't have a problem with me doing side jobs as long as it doesn't interfere with my regular work or present a conflict of interest.

Seems like it's been rough but things are finally getting the other way around! Congrats!  :D Good idea to keep your systems up to date; you never know when you'll have some time to play them, and you don't want to sit through 2 hours of updates when that happens  ::)

It's been a roller coaster of emotions, for sure. Probably the hardest part was seeing half of the employees terminated. In that kind of environment, especially at a small company like that, you become family. Didn't even get to have an official going away party for them or anything (that was remedied through a number of parties later). I suppose that's the one good thing about Facebook; makes it easy to stay in touch with everyone. I'm glad to say everybody has landed back on their feet.

Last time I fired up the newer consoles (back in August) I only had about a two hour window to play. Wound up letting them chug through an update while I played a few rounds on the Dreamcast and N64.  ;D

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5434 on: January 04, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

KASH -

Feb = Valentines Day?

Where's the love?!

Is there a fantastic new game on the horizon in the coming months? The only ones I can think of are Atelier Shallie and HD Noire.

I've got a bunch of games pre-ordered that I'm looking forward to in the 1st 1/4 of 2015; off of the top of my head:

Atelier Shallie,

HDN: Noire,

Tokyo Twilight Ghosthunter,

FF: Type O

(can't think of the name of it, but) the follow up to Guided Fate Paradox,

new SMT Devil Survivor game,

Etrian Odyssey: Mystery Dungeon Game, and...

...I'm probably forgetting some ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5435 on: January 04, 2015, 06:41:53 pm »
This Cowboys game will be the death of me

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5436 on: January 04, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »
This Cowboys game will be the death of me

See you next week buddy.  8)

1049-2600-8730

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5437 on: January 04, 2015, 09:38:57 pm »
word of warning, we're a better team on the road  ;)

Looking forward to it though!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5438 on: January 05, 2015, 04:33:42 am »

Would you like to make a gentlemen bet? Packers win, you rock a packer avatar of my choice for a week. and if cowboys win, ill rock a cowboys avatar of your choice for a week.

Let me know :D

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #5439 on: January 05, 2015, 08:20:10 am »
@dark: In Escha, there are two (I think) optional bosses that like to revive themselves after they get killed. Both of them are in this area that reduces your HP due to the "harsh environment." Do they drop anything as a reward for killing them? We always end up in a stalemate because they revive with full HP and, just when I think I'm able to do another Double Draw, I need to use my SP Gauge to guard. It's really irritating.

I could always wait to fight them during my Logy run, but still...they're being kind of jerks and I want to put them in their place now.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5440 on: January 05, 2015, 09:34:21 am »
sorry, kash - I'd have to refer you to Crystal or Chloe (Drache's) guides for that.

i *vaguely* remember those fights/mobs but, nothing that specific.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5441 on: January 05, 2015, 09:41:29 am »

Would you like to make a gentlemen bet? Packers win, you rock a packer avatar of my choice for a week. and if cowboys win, ill rock a cowboys avatar of your choice for a week.

Let me know :D

ah, it's been a while since I've had an avatar bet. I'm down. *shakes hand*

kashell

« Reply #5442 on: January 05, 2015, 10:24:50 am »
sorry, kash - I'd have to refer you to Crystal or Chloe (Drache's) guides for that.

i *vaguely* remember those fights/mobs but, nothing that specific.

No worries. I don't think they're required for anything, anyway. I only tried the Child of Light but I haven't bothered with the Dreadnought yet. I have over 200 days to farm proper materials so, hopefully, I can get some better stuff to prepare for them if I do decide to fight them again.

argyle

« Reply #5443 on: January 05, 2015, 11:08:16 am »

KASH -

Feb = Valentines Day?

Where's the love?!

I need better reasons than Single's Awareness Day Valentine's Day and the first day of spring. I want days where there is no working and time for me to veg like a plant in front of a lovely console and playing a lovely game all day. XD

Actually, V-Day is one of my least favorite days of the year. Personally, I think it's important to show you care for your significant other on more than just one day that involves hearts, heart-shaped candy with sayings on them and hear-shaped boxes that are filled with heart-shaped candy with sayings on them.

FF Type 0 and Bloodborne are the 2 big JRPGs on my radar right now. Until then I have a LOT of catching up to do. After I wrap up Far Cry 4 (2/3rds of the way through now) and then finish off Lords of Shadow 2 I plan on firing up Lightning Returns. I want to have finished it before Type 0 comes out.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

kashell

« Reply #5444 on: January 05, 2015, 02:55:33 pm »
I forgot about Lightning Returns being in my backlog until you just mentioned it. Maybe I'll dive into that after Escha. Or, maybe I'll take an RPG break.

dark: In case you want to pass some time, reviews are up for Guilty Gear Xrd and Hatsune Miku 2. There are a few others for some older SNES games, but they were just put there because I was bored.