Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1568678 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5685 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:03 am »
I'm torn between starting Lightning Returns or Tales of Xillia 2. Can't decide - slightly leaning towards Tales, but it could almost be a coin toss for me at this point.  :-\

I'm biased because it's my favorite series, so I will suggest Tales of Xillia 2. That said, it's a great game in its own way. It has a great story, more development with the previous cast, the new characters are great (Ludger is an Express model not to be messed with) and, of course, great combat. I'm not sure if trophies are your thing, but you're looking at a very lengthy campaign if you wish to get the platinum.

Also, I haven't played Lightning Returns yet. It'd be cool to do a dual play through if we were to start around the same time. ^^

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5686 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:34 pm »
I'm torn between starting Lightning Returns or Tales of Xillia 2. Can't decide - slightly leaning towards Tales, but it could almost be a coin toss for me at this point.

wut happened w/ Tonelico(s)? :o
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5687 on: January 23, 2015, 03:54:49 pm »
So this creepy baby image is an ad right here at VGCollect.

What in the hell is going on here?!

desocietas

« Reply #5688 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »
So this creepy baby image is an ad right here at VGCollect.

What in the hell is going on here?!

Yeah, some of the adverst are a little creepy :/
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

argyle

« Reply #5689 on: January 23, 2015, 11:47:15 pm »
I'm torn between starting Lightning Returns or Tales of Xillia 2. Can't decide - slightly leaning towards Tales, but it could almost be a coin toss for me at this point.

wut happened w/ Tonelico(s)? :o

I have way too much I want to play!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5690 on: January 24, 2015, 12:39:43 am »

Please check out the games I have for sale.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5691 on: January 24, 2015, 11:34:11 am »
*2* questions

about

*2* games!

Okay.

So.

I happily admit that I've been playing games so much - that, I've been keeping up with & staying current and updated about what's been coming out + what's coming up, well...not at all  :o

So.

As a huge fan of the BOOKS (the HBO series; not so much) Game of Thrones / ASoIaF...anyone played, read, and/or heard anything about Telltale's 1st (of an episodic series) PS4 game?

Next up is...

wtf's the deal with the Vita game

Freedom Wars?

Slept through its release and just noticed that it snagged the *readers* vote for the "Best Vita Exclusive of the Year" in Game Informer, (the "editor's" votes are to be taken w/ a grain/pound of salt...as the magazine is *OWNED* by GS -and- I doubt I even need to read their personal choices to find out that they've all picked 7-8 of the same "Big" games + a 'floater' or 2; seriously...taking a magazine that's owned by a game store/chain seriously (like they'd ever slam a game that they have a big contract/sales expectations, or exclusivity deals with (read: it's never happened & never will)) :P) is, IMO, nothing but folly!

Anywho, so what did/didn't I miss w/ this game?

abe

« Reply #5692 on: January 24, 2015, 02:03:51 pm »

Freedom Wars?

Slept through its release and just noticed that it snagged the *readers* vote for the "Best Vita Exclusive of the Year" in Game Informer, (the "editor's" votes are to be taken w/ a grain/pound of salt...as the magazine is *OWNED* by GS -and- I doubt I even need to read their personal choices to find out that they've all picked 7-8 of the same "Big" games + a 'floater' or 2; seriously...taking a magazine that's owned by a game store/chain seriously (like they'd ever slam a game that they have a big contract/sales expectations, or exclusivity deals with (read: it's never happened & never will)) :P) is, IMO, nothing but folly!

Freedom Wars is sorta like Monster Hunter, but more like God Eater because it's much faster paced, focuses on a balance of ranged and melee combat, and shares a dystopian setting for the story. Imagine something like Monster Hunter, but where players can fight against each other in teams, not just against big monsters (or in the case of Freedom Wars, big robot thingies). I've probably only put around 5 hours in so far, but I've enjoyed what I've played. From what I hear, the story is fairly short and most of the value is in the multiplayer. That being said, it was definitely worth the $30 it cost when it first released.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #5693 on: January 24, 2015, 02:39:13 pm »

Freedom Wars?

Freedom Wars is sorta like Monster Hunter, but more like God Eater because it's much faster paced, focuses on a balance of ranged and melee combat, and shares a dystopian setting for the story. Imagine something like Monster Hunter, but where players can fight against each other in teams, not just against big monsters (or in the case of Freedom Wars, big robot thingies). I've probably only put around 5 hours in so far, but I've enjoyed what I've played. From what I hear, the story is fairly short and most of the value is in the multiplayer. That being said, it was definitely worth the $30 it cost when it first released.

Definitely worth the $15 I paid during Xmas weekend. I'm enjoying it on my PS TV but have only reached level 3 with my character. Story can drag a bit but game looks beautiful for a handheld title. But yeah, fast paced is correct.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5694 on: January 25, 2015, 11:29:50 am »
Thanks for the Freedom Wars replies, guys!

So.

I just noticed something that (very well *might*) be a 1st...

We were re-arranging my closet shelf;

*ahem*

That is, my PS4 + Vita Collections - both system's games are stacked there, (horizontally) & butted right up against each other and - as I was re-stacking my (14) PS4 games, I (surprisingly:) noticed that each & every one of them was...

...an M-rated game :o

I don't remember every game (and in what order they were bought) for every console I've owned throughout the years --but--  I'd be surprised if my 1st 14 games for any one other system...have ever - coincidentally - all been M's.

Anyone else having or seeing any similarites w/ their 8th gen systems & their game collections?

Speaking of game ratings, 2 questions have come to mind:

1st Why don't PC games have ratings; have to be rated?

and

2nd Why/how did the AO rating come about?

If PC games, which (afaik), are where just about all of these (H) games are found -and- they don't have/need ratings AND if Sony, Ninty, and "#dealwithit" :P all have blanket policies refusing & prohibiting the release of any AO games on any of their systems...why, when, and how did the need/existence of an AO rating even come to be, and - why is (something that's never & can't be used)...still around today?

foxhack

« Reply #5695 on: January 25, 2015, 12:08:36 pm »

and

If PC games, which (afaik), are where just about all of these (H) games are found -and- they don't have/need ratings AND if Sony, Ninty, and "#dealwithit" :P all have blanket policies refusing & prohibiting the release of any AO games on any of their systems...why, when, and how did the need/existence of an AO rating even come to be, and - why is (something that's never & can't be used)...still around today?

PC games don't have to be rated because they can be sold anywhere, but most big stores don't stock PC games anymore and if they do it's stuff that doesn't go past M. No stores stock anything that's AO even if their content is more or less the same as an an R rated film.

And trust me - the rating IS used, especially by a few companies that sell Japanese adult games.

But basically: If you want to sell your game in a retail store, you'll need an ESRB rating most of the time, with some exceptions. Digital releases and self-released stuff don't need an ESRB rating, but most publishers make sure to mention if the game has stuff that could offend or bother people.

Not a lot of companies get their games rated by the ESRB because it costs up to $2500 to get one.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 12:10:28 pm by foxhack »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5696 on: January 25, 2015, 12:20:28 pm »

and

PC games don't have to be rated because they can be sold anywhere, but most big stores don't stock PC games anymore and if they do it's stuff that doesn't go past M. No stores stock anything that's AO even if their content is more or less the same as an an R rated film.

And trust me - the rating IS used, especially by a few companies that sell Japanese adult games.

But basically: If you want to sell your game in a retail store, you'll need an ESRB rating most of the time, with some exceptions. Digital releases and self-released stuff don't need an ESRB rating, but most publishers make sure to mention if the game has stuff that could offend or bother people.

Not a lot of companies get their games rated by the ESRB because it costs up to $2500 to get one.

Wouldn't that come under the JP (Cero + a letter) rating, then?

And yeah - that Walmart & Kmart shit of only selling the "clean" versions of music CD's always killed me...as they were for sale in the same aisle as R rated movies...with all of the same words being used; that they went through pains not to allow on the cd's, since it was a 'family' store :P

foxhack

« Reply #5697 on: January 25, 2015, 12:32:19 pm »
Wouldn't that come under the JP (Cero + a letter) rating, then?

And yeah - that Walmart & Kmart shit of only selling the "clean" versions of music CD's always killed me...as they were for sale in the same aisle as R rated movies...with all of the same words being used; that they went through pains not to allow on the cd's, since it was a 'family' store :P

Remember, Japan and the US of A have very different standards for rating content.

The violent, gory stuff that gets rated M here is rated with their version of an AO there. The racy sexy stuff that gets an M over there... gets rated AO here mostly because of boobs and butts.

Gringos are weird.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5698 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:44 pm »
Am I the only one who wants to see the movie kingsman the secret service?
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

foxhack

« Reply #5699 on: January 25, 2015, 01:49:45 pm »
Am I the only one who wants to see the movie kingsman the secret service?

Wait, what?

They adapted the comic into a movie?!

... will it have a Mark Hamill cameo at least?

Wait what aww no, they gave Hamill a real role in the film! Part of the fun was the damn intro! Booooooo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!