Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1659625 times)

gf78

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9375 on: February 03, 2016, 09:25:13 am »
TL;DR ... The DS was awesome. The 3DS was disappointing.  I still don't play very much on it, and the library is still sorely lacking. A lot of the games that have come out could've easily been on the DS and probably would've been fine.  The article is right - there's just nothing in the library for either system that's inspiring people to buy either the Wii U or the 3DS.

Are you serious?  I'm a huge 3DS fan.  I still play a lot of it.  I thought it was a hit.  I guess I was wrong.

The 3DS was a huge stumble for Nintendo I believe.  In the interim between the release of the DS and 3DS, phone games exploded.  I know people have read that until they are blue in the face, but I have seen it with my own eyes.  My two daughters who combined had over 100 DS and 3DS games just really didn't give a crap about playing them.  Hence how I ended up with all of it.  But they play the crap out of those stupid little free phone games.  Nintendo also way overestimated what people would be willing to pay for the console, which is why they dropped the price like a rock within a few months and they apologized and gave away free games. 

I personally love the 3DS and by extension, the "New" 3DS.  But again, Nintendo has screwed the proverbial pooch by releasing one whopping game that is specific to the "New" 3DS and already talking about replacing it with the NX....whatever that ends up being. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #9376 on: February 03, 2016, 10:00:19 am »
I'm sort of in the same boat with the 3DS. Heck, I'm in the same boat with the DS.

Whenever it was time to travel or time to sit in line or time to wait for a turn, I grabbed my PSP instead of my DS. Similarly, I now prefer to grab the Vita instead of the 3DS.

When the clamshell DS was first released, I thought it was ridiculous. None of the games seemed fun. I think what eventually lead me to getting one was Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and the ability to play GBA games on it. Whereas, I got a PSP around the time it was first released.

I'll admit I picked up a 3DS around launch so I could participate in the Ambassador Program, but I never bought a 3DS title until Tales of the Abyss. I spent more time playing that Baby Mario game instead of an actual 3DS title. But, when I got a Vita, I picked up Shinobido 2 and made a bunch of pre-orders for upcoming Vita titles like Ys.

*shrug* After the GBA, I felt that the portable war was in Sony's favor. Most will disagree with me, but I've gotten much more mileage from my PSP and Vita in comparison to my DS and 3DS.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9377 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:04 am »
I agree with kash.

Although sales may not back up my preferences, I much prefer the Vita and PSP.

No, not the Go, though!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

gf78

« Reply #9378 on: February 03, 2016, 10:42:06 am »
I agree with kash.

No, not the Go, though!

I own a Go because, well...I'm nuts and I wanted one to go with my other PSP systems.   :P

But like you and Kash, I enjoy/enjoyed the PSP and Vita more than the Nintendo handhelds.  The Sony handhelds had better graphics and sound than the DS and I much preferred the form-factor of the PSP and Vita. 

It's a shame that Sony doesn't hold the same faith in Vita as they did the PSP.  While the PSP had these periods of droughts, Sony always came back swinging with some great exclusives.  I thought the PSP was a success, selling in excess of 80 million units over it's lifetime.  The Vita launched and I thought it really had a chance.  But Sony just seemed to abandon it and divert all their attention to the PS4.  Even though it still gets monthly releases through PSN, the lack of physical games and Sony's own abandonment of making software has killed it.  The system has no retail presence.  No retail presence = no awareness. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

« Reply #9379 on: February 03, 2016, 11:00:35 am »
I agree with kash.

No, not the Go, though!

I own a Go because, well...I'm nuts and I wanted one to go with my other PSP systems.   :P

But like you and Kash, I enjoy/enjoyed the PSP and Vita more than the Nintendo handhelds.  The Sony handhelds had better graphics and sound than the DS and I much preferred the form-factor of the PSP and Vita. 

It's a shame that Sony doesn't hold the same faith in Vita as they did the PSP.  While the PSP had these periods of droughts, Sony always came back swinging with some great exclusives.  I thought the PSP was a success, selling in excess of 80 million units over it's lifetime.  The Vita launched and I thought it really had a chance.  But Sony just seemed to abandon it and divert all their attention to the PS4.  Even though it still gets monthly releases through PSN, the lack of physical games and Sony's own abandonment of making software has killed it.  The system has no retail presence.  No retail presence = no awareness.
My wife loves her Go, she hates her regular PSP.  I have no real ill will towards the PSP or Vita, but I don't care for them.  Why?  Proprietary storage media.  Finding Memory Stick Pros are pretty hard nowadays, they might be cheap second hand, but not common.  Vita memory, still ridiculously expensive.  That expensive price point just to USE the system, is ridiculous.  The system has no internal memory, so when I bought my Vita day one with one of the launch games, I couldn't play it because I didn't have vita memory.  If they had not gone proprietary and let me use cheap MicroSD cards, Vita would be my number 1 for sure.  But I haven't used it since release because of the expensive media.  With a 4GB memory stick, I can load 1 game in most situations, some situations it is not large enough for a single game.  With the PSP at least, you can buy adapters that will convert MicroSD to Memory Stick.  Go can't play physical discs, so I'm left out because I'm not rebuying these games.  Luckily, I paid nothing for my PSP, not much for her PSP, $20 for a CIB PSPgo.  I did however pay full price for both of my Vitas, purchases I decidedly regret.

DS/3DS?  Just pop in that bad boy and play.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:02:55 am by ctracy87 »

gf78

« Reply #9380 on: February 03, 2016, 11:55:23 am »
My wife loves her Go, she hates her regular PSP.  I have no real ill will towards the PSP or Vita, but I don't care for them.  Why?  Proprietary storage media.  Finding Memory Stick Pros are pretty hard nowadays, they might be cheap second hand, but not common.  Vita memory, still ridiculously expensive.  That expensive price point just to USE the system, is ridiculous.  The system has no internal memory, so when I bought my Vita day one with one of the launch games, I couldn't play it because I didn't have vita memory.  If they had not gone proprietary and let me use cheap MicroSD cards, Vita would be my number 1 for sure.  But I haven't used it since release because of the expensive media.  With a 4GB memory stick, I can load 1 game in most situations, some situations it is not large enough for a single game.  With the PSP at least, you can buy adapters that will convert MicroSD to Memory Stick.  Go can't play physical discs, so I'm left out because I'm not rebuying these games.  Luckily, I paid nothing for my PSP, not much for her PSP, $20 for a CIB PSPgo.  I did however pay full price for both of my Vitas, purchases I decidedly regret.

I agree that proprietary media for the PSP and Vita sucks, especially when it is so overpriced.  It was a major misstep.  A lot of the problem with the Vita storage situation was mitigated with bundles that include the memory, as well as the 2000 Vita revision that added 1GB of internal storage.  This was usually sufficient for game saves.  My Borderlands 2 bundle included an 8GB memory card which by itself is good...unless you want to actually install and play Borderlands 2 and it's updates because it takes up damn near all 8 gigs!   >:(

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9381 on: February 03, 2016, 12:08:01 pm »
I had a dream last night, I was at my old middle school and by the track their was a huge stack of atari 2600 games, and filled like 3 huge plastic bags(like those big bags gamestop had for systems) full of games and I took them home.... Talk about waking up disappointed that I really didnt have them .
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #9382 on: February 03, 2016, 12:16:45 pm »

I agree that proprietary media for the PSP and Vita sucks, especially when it is so overpriced.  It was a major misstep.  A lot of the problem with the Vita storage situation was mitigated with bundles that include the memory, as well as the 2000 Vita revision that added 1GB of internal storage.  This was usually sufficient for game saves.  My Borderlands 2 bundle included an 8GB memory card which by itself is good...unless you want to actually install and play Borderlands 2 and it's updates because it takes up damn near all 8 gigs!   >:(
Stories like this are why I don't like my Vita.  I have actually purchased probably close to 100GB worth of PSVita sticks over the years on clearance, but I probably paid about or over $100 for all of that, even on clearance.  But I'm talking several 4 and 8 GB sticks.  So you have to somehow remember what is on each memory card.  And from my experience, and maybe sony has fixed that, when you delete a game, you automatically delete the associated save file.  That was early on, again, maybe they fixed it, I certainly have not played a Vita game since then... but for some reason I keep buying vita games and never playing them.  I will say, the ability to transfer your games to your computer does help, but it still makes the whole experience annoying.  I should be able to have no issue whatsoever storing my entire library of digital titles on the system.  Even the massive 64Gb (Not sold in the US) can only hold maybe 8-20 games. 

I'm going to try to start a new habit of not starting a new game until I beat a game or declare that I am never playing it ever again.  So with that, I can probably deal with only having 2 games on my Vita at a time (1 to play, 1 to move onto after the 1st)

kashell

« Reply #9383 on: February 03, 2016, 03:06:36 pm »
"Her name was Lola...she was a showgirl..."

I'm super excited that I'll be seeing Barry Manilow when he comes to Nashville!

abe

« Reply #9384 on: February 03, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »
I agree with kash.

No, not the Go, though!

Seconded!
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

karyann

« Reply #9385 on: February 04, 2016, 08:33:55 am »
Whenever it was time to travel or time to sit in line or time to wait for a turn, I grabbed my PSP instead of my DS. Similarly, I now prefer to grab the Vita instead of the 3DS.

Ah, I'm on the other side here. I like my PSP, but to this day I'm still unsure I played it enough to justify the $200 I paid for it back in the day. The DS on the other hand, I wouldn't leave home without it. There are so many games that I love on this system, and as Deso mentioned, some pretty cool ways to use it :) What doesn't help the PSP is that it gives me a terrible thumb sore whenever I have to use that thing they call a joystick.  :-\ Other than that though, I still like the PSP; it has some pretty good games and they're mostly cheap too!

As far as 3DS/Vita goes though, I think I love them both equally. I'm having a very hard time choosing a favorite, and I often alternate some binge-playing between them.

All in all, portable gaming is still my favorite thing ever and I love pretty much all of them <3

kashell

« Reply #9386 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:43 am »
I will agree with you on that: the thumb stick on the PSP is annoying. The control pad is even worse. I recall attempting to play Guilty Gear Judgment on that thing and it was a nightmare. The thumb stick was too sensitive and control pad was too stiff.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9387 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:22 am »
"Her name was Lola...she was a showgirl..."

I'm super excited that I'll be seeing Barry Manilow when he comes to Nashville!

Nice, Barry Manilow is awesome, have fun and be sure to post pics on fb!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #9388 on: February 04, 2016, 11:01:47 am »
I so will! ^.^ Thanks!

kashell

« Reply #9389 on: February 04, 2016, 12:45:47 pm »
Double posting because I'm worth it.

The interview went well and I accepted their offer today. My two weeks notice has been placed.