Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1656417 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8505 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:28 am »
ALL MY XBOX ONE EVER DOES IS UPDATE AND INSTALL!!!  >:(

The initial system update took a while. Batman: Akham Knight took a while. And now Elder Scrolls Online is just PUNISHING! Been updating since early last evening. It auto-shut down sometime in the night, and I started it up again in the morning and it's STILL going! 95%, but that last bit seems to be taking longer than the rest.

In the meantime, I can't even play the fully installed Batman: Akkham Knight because you have to have the disc in for anti-game piracy, but Elder Scrolls disc is inside installing.

So frustrating to have this big expensive next-gen console that I seem to just be constantly waiting on!

The loooooonnnnnngggggg download times have been pretty well documented on the net.  I don't personally own an Xbox One and don't really have any plans to get one.  Does the system have the ability to do updates while the system is in standby mode?  Again, I don't own a One, but the PS4 downloads all my updates late at night.  So when I get online during the day, It pops up with a notification that "insert name" update was installed. The PS4 has a separate, low power consumption processor that allows it do complete maintenance functions and updates while in standby mode.

If the game I want to play as soon as I pop it in isn't online-based, even if it says "Uncharted Collection" (or whatever game) update has been added to the download list, I can go ahead and play within a minute of that first time inserting the disc.  The PS4 will continue to download the update in the background while I play and PS4 games install in a way that even before the installation is done, you can still play the game, typically in under a minute.  If the update finishes while I am still playing, a notification will pop up saying the download is complete.  Then, I simply save and exit the game and when I restart it, the update is applied.  It's a pretty streamlined system.

With Batman, yes, I could play as the install happened, but not until it was like at 60%. With Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter, no because they are MMOs. They'll load the main menu and server-selection, but not actual gameplay.

gf78

« Reply #8506 on: October 26, 2015, 12:29:30 pm »
With Batman, yes, I could play as the install happened, but not until it was like at 60%. With Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter, no because they are MMOs. They'll load the main menu and server-selection, but not actual gameplay.

Gotcha.  MMO's are a pain in the rear because they frequently update.  Since you were just jumping in, you had every previous update to download as well which made everything take that much longer.  Destiny is about as close as I come to always-online gaming.  When there is a server error, you cannot do anything but look at the menu. 

Part of the wonderful new world of connected gaming. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #8507 on: October 26, 2015, 07:17:42 pm »
Have you thought about getting Ori and the Blind Forest, burningdoom? I've heard it's a pretty good Metroidvania on the Xbox One/PC, soon to be 360
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8508 on: October 26, 2015, 07:28:45 pm »
I'm hoping to get an Xbox one during Black Friday. Unless I see a great deal on 3ds XL. We will see ha
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8509 on: October 26, 2015, 07:59:58 pm »
Have you thought about getting Ori and the Blind Forest, burningdoom? I've heard it's a pretty good Metroidvania on the Xbox One/PC, soon to be 360

Never heard of it. But "Metroidvania" definitely has my interest piqued.

Warmsignal

« Reply #8510 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:55 pm »
Video games.... video games... when you say it enough times it starts to loose it's meaning. That's so funny. What the heck is a video game?

kashell

« Reply #8511 on: October 27, 2015, 08:29:01 am »
That guitar infused opening in Tales of Zestiria is such fun. It reminds me of the big hair bands from the 80s and 90s.

gf78

« Reply #8512 on: October 27, 2015, 09:59:28 am »
I am beyond disappointed with what I have been reading about Halo 5's story.  No spoilers here, but it was my hope that 343 would move the series along in a significant and important manner.  What we have is a game that has a throwaway campaign and focuses on the multiplayer.

Having followed the Halo series since the beginning and having read every novel and watched every video, it seems like a real disservice to the fans.  Not even mentioning that what made Halo's multiplayer great has slowly been being eroded in favor of a decidedly Call of Duty-esque direction. 

My fears that 343i couldn't do justice to the foundation Bungie laid began with Halo 4, continued with the disasterous launch of the Master Chief Collection and has pretty much culminated in Halo 5. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

telly

« Reply #8513 on: October 27, 2015, 01:01:22 pm »
I've been reading the Earthbound strategy guide that's on Nintendo's WiiU site after I beat the game. It's a really interesting read - it doesn't even read like a strategy guide, more like a tour guide with real life images and sculptures of the monsters in it. They put a lot of time into it it seems.

Apparently you can read it on your WiiU gamepad while you play the game which is pretty sweet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:06:19 pm by telly »
Currently Playing:
Persona 4 Golden (Switch), The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #8514 on: October 28, 2015, 08:12:12 am »
It's always neat when strategy guides are created with a twist. The guide for Secret of Mana reads like a story, but it still guides you through the game.

The game doesn't need much guidance, but it's still a fun read.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8515 on: October 29, 2015, 12:10:59 pm »
So without going back into the reasons why, since that doesn't seem to pan out well around here:

Some of you that use ROMS and emulators were saying that you only believe in using them only for specific cases such as if you already own the game, or for homebrews and hacks.

I can agree with that. I have ROMs on my original Xbox that are old NES, SNES, and Genesis games I actually own. And I do have a copy of Zelda: Parallel Worlds, Super Mario World hacks, and the Super Metroid hack on my PC.

Those of you that do this: Do you consider games that you own on collections (such as Capcom Classics or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection), as "owning" the game; and passing your standards for having ROMs of them?

rayne315

« Reply #8516 on: October 29, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »
So without going back into the reasons why, since that doesn't seem to pan out well around here:

Some of you that use ROMS and emulators were saying that you only believe in using them only for specific cases such as if you already own the game, or for homebrews and hacks.

I can agree with that. I have ROMs on my original Xbox that are old NES, SNES, and Genesis games I actually own. And I do have a copy of Zelda: Parallel Worlds, Super Mario World hacks, and the Super Metroid hack on my PC.

Those of you that do this: Do you consider games that you own on collections (such as Capcom Classics or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection), as "owning" the game; and passing your standards for having ROMs of them?

Although I do not emulate, yes I would consider that to be owning the game as it is a version of the game released by either the originator of it of from someone who has rights to it (just graphical upgrades  and possible bug fixes). Like I do not own an nes version of bubble bobble but I have it in a game collection I own on ps2.

EDIT:

I thought of an exception to the rule. I wouldn't If it was a drastically different game just as an example Aladdin on snes is a completely different game than Aladdin on genesis.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 01:25:42 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

karyann

« Reply #8517 on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:46 pm »
I'm currently unable to stop reading Attack on Titan and go to sleep so if someone can fill in for me at work tomorrow so I can spend the whole night reading, that'd be great. Thanks in advance guys, you're so sweet!

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8518 on: October 29, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
I'm currently unable to stop reading Attack on Titan and go to sleep so if someone can fill in for me at work tomorrow so I can spend the whole night reading, that'd be great. Thanks in advance guys, you're so sweet!

Ill do it, i need some money  ;D
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #8519 on: October 30, 2015, 08:07:42 am »

I was thinking about getting the omnibus for that. Typically, the manga is better than the anime. Is this the case for AoT? The anime was slower than molasses.