Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1598358 times)

rayne315

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #9720 on: February 29, 2016, 03:49:27 pm »
If memory serves, there are a few other folks on here studying Japanese. I'm on lesson 22 in the Genki series and I'm noticing that I have to flip to the back of the book more times than I care to admit in order to look up words I learned but forgot. So, I decided to back to each lesson's vocabulary section and jot down a word if I don't know it. The problem is, I need to figure out how to memorize them permanently.

How do folks memorize things 'round these parts? Flash cards are my go-to, but I use those for memorizing only kanji meanings.

I don't really know. the last language I learned I was always one of the worst students learning it. whats worse is I only know 1 language. all the best luck to you.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9721 on: February 29, 2016, 03:59:43 pm »
So how was everyone's weekend?

Beautiful...until this morning.  Had an argument with the misses that ended with her saying "fuck you mother fucker!" and me leaving for work.  Wow...guess I really struck a nerve.   ???

Shiiiiiiiiit.

That's how me and the gf say good morning  ;)

Lol its like we have the same gf.

Why not?

Friends share, right?   ;D
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9722 on: February 29, 2016, 04:19:48 pm »
So how was everyone's weekend?

Beautiful...until this morning.  Had an argument with the misses that ended with her saying "fuck you mother fucker!" and me leaving for work.  Wow...guess I really struck a nerve.   ???

Shiiiiiiiiit.

That's how me and the gf say good morning  ;)

Lol its like we have the same gf.

Why not?

Friends share, right?   ;D

Well sharing is caring......
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

desocietas

« Reply #9723 on: February 29, 2016, 04:26:02 pm »
If memory serves, there are a few other folks on here studying Japanese. I'm on lesson 22 in the Genki series and I'm noticing that I have to flip to the back of the book more times than I care to admit in order to look up words I learned but forgot. So, I decided to back to each lesson's vocabulary section and jot down a word if I don't know it. The problem is, I need to figure out how to memorize them permanently.

How do folks memorize things 'round these parts? Flash cards are my go-to, but I use those for memorizing only kanji meanings.

I'm using WaniKani (well, despite a slump currently and a year ago) as well as their Textfugu counterpart, and one of the free tools they recommend is Anki.  They're digital flash cards and allow you to mark how confident you felt about giving your correct answer. If you felt really good, you can delay seeing the card again until later. If you made a lucky guess, you can tell it to test you on it with more frequency until you feel confident about it.

WaniKani pretty much runs through the same thing while you're learning it all, but Anki is the free way to go about it (and you can customize your own cards or download ones that other people have made).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #9724 on: February 29, 2016, 04:44:43 pm »

I'm using WaniKani (well, despite a slump currently and a year ago) as well as their Textfugu counterpart, and one of the free tools they recommend is Anki.  They're digital flash cards and allow you to mark how confident you felt about giving your correct answer. If you felt really good, you can delay seeing the card again until later. If you made a lucky guess, you can tell it to test you on it with more frequency until you feel confident about it.

WaniKani pretty much runs through the same thing while you're learning it all, but Anki is the free way to go about it (and you can customize your own cards or download ones that other people have made).

Anki great for memorizing stuff, and useful for more than just learning Japanese. I've used it as a studying tool for a few university courses now and it's pretty great. I'd recommend it.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

desocietas

« Reply #9725 on: February 29, 2016, 04:52:38 pm »
Anki great for memorizing stuff, and useful for more than just learning Japanese. I've used it as a studying tool for a few university courses now and it's pretty great. I'd recommend it.

Yup! I forgot that people have decks for science and other subjects as well. The first time I'd heard of it was from Textfugu - had not heard of it before then... but then again, it's been over 10 years since I've been a full-time student  :-[
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #9727 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:02 am »
I have used Anki before, but I didn't care much for it. I think my problem with it was that it would overheat my phone. That said, I have changed phones since then so maybe I'll try it again. I know that they work with kanji, but I'm wondering if they had a grammar set, too. Japanese (like English) has so many different grammar rules. I'm on the 22nd lesson in Genki and I hate having to flip back to remind myself how to construct a certain sentence.

In other news, this morning at the lovely hour of 5 AM I checked out Orange Theory Fitness. It was insanely fun, but damn would it be expensive to join. Does anyone else have one in their area?

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9728 on: March 01, 2016, 09:23:15 am »

Quite possibly the most boring cartridge label of all-time. But inside of the cart is one of the coolest side-scrolling shoot-em ups on the Genesis.

Very cool level-designs and character-designs that are more fantasy and sci-fi than your normal space-setting for a shoot-em up. And pretty cool music to go along with it.

It also has a unique power-up system that utilizes magical or special attacks; and there are many different ones throughout the game. You can increase your magic shot's power, as well as your normal shot. And you can upgrade your character's speed. Be careful, though, you often end-up overpowering the speed and running into stuff as a result.

I don't know if it's gone up, but when I got this game, I got it for dirt-cheap off of eBay a few years back.

Gynoug ! So glorious :D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 09:25:41 am by turom »
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

gf78

« Reply #9729 on: March 01, 2016, 10:29:32 am »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/htc-vive-preorders-officially-open-update/1100-6435182/

just $800!

Is it me, or do the makers of VR tech seem like they want to kill it before it even gets off the ground?  $600.  $800.  What's PSVR going to cost??
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

abe

« Reply #9730 on: March 01, 2016, 10:30:57 am »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/htc-vive-preorders-officially-open-update/1100-6435182/

just $800!

Is it me, or do the makers of VR tech seem like they want to kill it before it even gets off the ground?  $600.  $800.  What's PSVR going to cost??

The dev edition of the Microsoft Hololens costs $3000. :P

gf78

« Reply #9731 on: March 01, 2016, 10:50:03 am »

just $800!

Yeah...that pretty much lends credence to the rumors last year saying Hololens isn't going to be geared as a retail product for the Xbox One.
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #9732 on: March 01, 2016, 10:58:24 am »

just $800!

Yeah...that pretty much lends credence to the rumors last year saying Hololens isn't going to be geared as a retail product for the Xbox One.
Hololens is stand alone and requires no additional hardware.

abe

« Reply #9733 on: March 01, 2016, 11:00:44 am »

just $800!

It's also probably safe to assume the retail version will be at least a little cheaper than that.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9734 on: March 01, 2016, 11:09:32 am »

just $800!

It's also probably safe to assume the retail version will be at least a little cheaper than that.

Holy shit $3000!?

maybe if i told my truck i could afford it lol

1049-2600-8730