Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1671016 times)

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #12210 on: October 19, 2016, 02:02:05 pm »
anyone get bf1?
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

kashell

« Reply #12211 on: October 20, 2016, 08:25:08 am »
I'm finally nearing the end of Fatal Frame III. It had a strong start, but when you were required to take control of Miku or Kei, things weren't as fun. I'll finish the game with whatever ending I get and just view the rest of the endings elsewhere.

« Reply #12212 on: October 20, 2016, 01:34:50 pm »
Just read an article on a "local" game store.  The company is worth $4 million at this point with 13 locations, mostly in Texas, and they are being touted as one of the fastest growing privately owned businesses.

The owner stated in the article he knows that consumers will come in to his store for a game and pay double what it sells for on some place like Amazon, and that's why his business thrives.

I don't think I would be very proud of that.  Most collector's I've dealt with locally all state how much they hate the company because the employee's are scummy.  Basically take the employees who gave you your worst experience at Gamestop, and lets make them the manager of this retro store.  I've talked to a few of the different managers, they don't collect, they don't even play video games.  Most of them talk about how they don't understand why people even buy this stuff.  They talk about how if it were sports memorabilia they could understand, but they don't get this nerdy stuff.

Of course, the owner is an Ex-Gamestop manager, and as such most of his policies fall in that same line.  Trade low, sell high, lie to customers to get them in the store, etc.

There was a time they advertised a 50% clearanced items, but they rang up a few cents lower than marked because "it's 50% off the non-clearanced price".  And recently they did a 11% off the entire store sale, when they always do a 10% your purchase if you check in on Facebook.  If you are wondering, obviously the discounts don't stack.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:38:57 pm by ignition365 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12213 on: October 20, 2016, 01:37:25 pm »
Just read an article on a "local" game store.  The company is worth $4 million at this point with 13 locations, mostly in Texas, and they are being touted as one of the fastest growing privately owned businesses.

The owner stated in the article he knows that consumers will come in to his store for a game and pay double what it sells for on some place like Amazon, and that's why his business thrives.

I don't think I would be very proud of that.  Most collector's I've dealt with locally all state how much they hate the company because the employee's are scummy.  Basically take the employees who gave you your worst experience at Gamestop, and lets make them the manager of this retro store.  I've talked to a few of the different managers, they don't collect, they don't even play video games.  Most of them talk about how they don't understand why people even buy this stuff.  They talk about how if it were sports memorabilia they could understand, but they don't get this nerdy stuff.

What store is it?

« Reply #12214 on: October 20, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »
Game Over Video Games.

Most of the time when you catch them slipping on prices they call you a liar and threaten to call the cops.  Sometimes they will honor their mistake, but rarely.  And it is for sure their mistake, they have a system where anything over a certain value goes into a glass case, and they never let customers touch stuff in the cases until after purchase, so there is no way to swap prices on anything priced over $10.

I once went in because they advertised 50% off games with no cover art, basically loose disc games.  Which I don't mind for Saturn because I'll do DVD case art.  But they tried to pull BS stating that it's 50% off the retail price, and games without cover art are already discounted to 40% off, so really you only save a few cents or something.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:44:09 pm by ignition365 »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12215 on: October 20, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »
They talk about how if it were sports memorabilia they could understand, but they don't get this nerdy stuff.

I love that mentality. Have a room full of 49ers gear, clothes with their logo all over it, and going to games painted in red & gold bodypaint; and that's perfectly normal. But to collect video games or comics, or go to conventions, or cosplay at conventions; then you're some sort of freak.

It's the same sort of passion for your hobby one way or the other. Sports fanatics are just as geeky, in their own way.

In the last few years that mentality has died down a bit, it's not like it was when I was growing up, but as this post shows, it still exists.

« Reply #12216 on: October 20, 2016, 01:45:25 pm »
They talk about how if it were sports memorabilia they could understand, but they don't get this nerdy stuff.

I love that mentality. Have a room full of 49ers gear, clothes with their logo all over it, and going to games painted in red & gold bodypaint; and that's perfectly normal. But to collect video games or comics, or go to conventions, or cosplay at conventions; then you're some sort of freak.

It's the same sort of passion for your hobby one way or the other. Sports fanatics are just as geeky, in their own way.

In the last few years that mentality has died down a bit, it's not like it was when I was growing up, but as this post shows, it still exists.
The company goes to all the Texas conventions to sell games too, managers have to go if the location is closest to their store.

The company even runs its own retro game expo called Classic Game Fest.

So these same managers have to sit at conventions like PAX South or San Japan and deal with cosplayers all weekend.

kashell

« Reply #12217 on: October 20, 2016, 01:54:15 pm »
I ran into a few of those sorts of vendors at Retropalooza. Obviously, they didn't get my business because their prices were ridiculous.

I'm not sure if Game Over was one of them, though.

« Reply #12218 on: October 20, 2016, 01:59:51 pm »
I ran into a few of those sorts of vendors at Retropalooza. Obviously, they didn't get my business because their prices were ridiculous.

They were at Retropalooza for sure.  I'm 100% certain they were that type of vendor.

They usually keep everything inside of glass cases at conventions and don't let you touch anything unless you have bought it.

The few conventions I've been to with retro games, nobody is as paranoid as Gameover.  Most places will layout cheapos up front and stand up expensive stuff out of reach.  But relatively nothing in glass.

They even change the prices for conventions so they are charging more than what they would in store... which is already overpriced.

This year, they did a sale during a convention, but they took everything out of the stores other than sports games, so the store made no sales.  I talked to one of the employees and they were really upset.  The DM/RM is also the store manager at one store, so he went to their store for stock for the convention, so they had stuff to sell, but the sales don't go towards any store in particular or only his store because he is running the booth.  And his store still gets sales because he didn't dwindle his own stock.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 02:02:50 pm by ignition365 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12219 on: October 20, 2016, 02:57:07 pm »

They were there. They were at the end of our aisle on the left. The one that couldn't change the prices.

kashell

« Reply #12220 on: October 20, 2016, 03:03:06 pm »

They were there. They were at the end of our aisle on the left. The one that couldn't change the prices.

The ones next to the dude selling nothing but import titles?

« Reply #12221 on: October 20, 2016, 03:46:11 pm »

Oh yeah, that shit's the best.  Like I said, Gamestop policies.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12222 on: October 20, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

I think so. It was a chick and a young dude running it. They had a bunch of hats and shit.

kashell

« Reply #12223 on: October 21, 2016, 08:26:00 am »

I think so. It was a chick and a young dude running it. They had a bunch of hats and shit.

I sort of remember them? I bought something from a dude that wouldn't haggle, but his prices were already really low. I didn't see any women in the booth, though.

If they keep up their business practices, then they might be facing a "game over." AWWWW SNAP!

« Reply #12224 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:34 am »
I occassionally do an audit of my various console collections here on VGcollect and when I do I typically end up shaving games off my total amount of games owned. Usually because I forgot to remove them after a minor downsize to trim away some of the bloat in my collection. However, just went through my original XBOX collection and added 4 games! That's always nice lol