Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1542121 times)

azure

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #14370 on: May 31, 2018, 05:54:00 pm »
I bought a PS2 component cable, only to discover that PS1 games just look horrendous with it. And the CD-drive on my PS1 is going out, so I'm not going to be using the component cable. I'll just be sticking with the old composite-to-CRT route on my PS2.
Was it an OEM cable? I've seen a lot of issues with cheap third party cables.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14371 on: May 31, 2018, 06:24:41 pm »
I bought a PS2 component cable, only to discover that PS1 games just look horrendous with it. And the CD-drive on my PS1 is going out, so I'm not going to be using the component cable. I'll just be sticking with the old composite-to-CRT route on my PS2.
Was it an OEM cable? I've seen a lot of issues with cheap third party cables.

No, 3rd party. The PS2 games looked fine, it was just PS1 that looked bad.

« Reply #14372 on: June 01, 2018, 09:19:50 am »
I'm trying to remember... I feel like PS1 games don't play on PS2 through component.

I might entirely be wrong, but I had SOME reason for having 2 PS2 systems hooked up where one was component and one was composite.

Anyway, I just play PS1 games on my PS3.

azure

« Reply #14373 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:09 am »
PS1 games definitely benefit from the component cable through PS2. The PS2 outputs PS1 games in their original resolutions, and the component cables do give a cleaner image.

As for why your PS1 games look bad Burningdoom, it could be a number of things; bad cables, scaling (if you are on a modern tv), or it could even be that you prefer the softer look of other cables etc.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14374 on: June 01, 2018, 01:08:49 pm »
PS1 games definitely benefit from the component cable through PS2. The PS2 outputs PS1 games in their original resolutions, and the component cables do give a cleaner image.

As for why your PS1 games look bad Burningdoom, it could be a number of things; bad cables, scaling (if you are on a modern tv), or it could even be that you prefer the softer look of other cables etc.

None of that makes sense, though, considering the PS2 games looked great, and PS1 games didn't. If the cable was bad, then the PS2 games would look bad, as well. And I know not to stretch out the image, I'm a VHS collector.

It was a pixelated mess on the screen when I popped in the PS1 disc. It was the exact opposite of "cleaner".

I also have a VCR hooked-up via HDMI (which VCRs are about as low-res as you can get), and it looks fine on the TV as long as I have the settings set to 4:3. My original XBox and Wii both look fine via component, too. So it's not the TV either. It's got to be the PS1 games themselves not liking the component output.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 01:10:53 pm by burningdoom »

azure

« Reply #14375 on: June 01, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »

None of that makes sense, though, considering the PS2 games looked great, and PS1 games didn't. If the cable was bad, then the PS2 games would look bad, as well. And I know not to stretch out the image, I'm a VHS collector.

It was a pixelated mess on the screen when I popped in the PS1 disc. It was the exact opposite of "cleaner".

I also have a VCR hooked-up via HDMI (which VCRs are about as low-res as you can get), and it looks fine on the TV as long as I have the settings set to 4:3. My original XBox and Wii both look fine via component, too. So it's not the TV either. It's got to be the PS1 games themselves not liking the component output.

Hmm that's strange. You got me then, I haven't had any issues with PS1 games through component at all. Only other thing I can think of is when my fat PS2 had troubles outputting some PS1 graphics/FMVs when there was some internal issues with it. Then it was kind of a mess of pixels.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14376 on: June 01, 2018, 01:37:57 pm »

Hmm that's strange. You got me then, I haven't had any issues with PS1 games through component at all. Only other thing I can think of is when my fat PS2 had troubles outputting some PS1 graphics/FMVs when there was some internal issues with it. Then it was kind of a mess of pixels.

Yeah, I didn't get as far as the gameplay. It was the opening cinematic that gave my eyes a headache (King's Field II).

« Reply #14377 on: June 04, 2018, 06:43:53 am »
Is there a way to create polls on here? Have they been done before? I want to know if people go here using a pc or a mobile device.  :P

desocietas

« Reply #14378 on: June 04, 2018, 03:24:58 pm »
Is there a way to create polls on here? Have they been done before? I want to know if people go here using a pc or a mobile device.  :P

I don't know if it's just because I'm an admin, but I see an option for "add poll" at the end of the thread, to the right of "reply." If it doesn't show up for you, I can make a poll for you :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #14379 on: June 04, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »
My work blocked VGCollect.
Son. Of. A. Bitch.

Laaaaame!

« Reply #14380 on: June 04, 2018, 05:21:55 pm »

I don't know if it's just because I'm an admin, but I see an option for "add poll" at the end of the thread, to the right of "reply." If it doesn't show up for you, I can make a poll for you :)

Its quite alright, my reason was kind of self answered already. But it would make for a great post of it isn't already one.

desocietas

« Reply #14381 on: June 04, 2018, 05:33:13 pm »

Its quite alright, my reason was kind of self answered already. But it would make for a great post of it isn't already one.

I think it's a good question, and I'm sure it'd be helpful for Jason and other admin to know :) I'll put up a poll for ya, 'cause I'm curious myself!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #14382 on: June 05, 2018, 08:49:40 am »
Polls are a privileged feature of SMF.  General users don't appear to be granted access to that feature... probably with good reason.

desocietas

« Reply #14383 on: June 05, 2018, 12:59:27 pm »
Polls are a privileged feature of SMF.  General users don't appear to be granted access to that feature... probably with good reason.

Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, I had a feeling it was something we haven't turned on for all users. It's something we might consider if people are really interested, perhaps after hitting a threshold of posts.

Have you run into situations where polls were being abused?
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

telly

« Reply #14384 on: June 05, 2018, 01:02:48 pm »
I haven't seen anybody abusing any polls on Bulbagarden
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery