Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1597796 times)

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #1905 on: March 20, 2014, 05:56:01 pm »
In a decade or so it won't matter anyways. Best Buy is based off an outdated business model, and many other stores like them have or are in the process of going under.

90snostalga

« Reply #1906 on: March 20, 2014, 06:00:30 pm »
In a decade or so it won't matter anyways. Best Buy is based off an outdated business model, and many other stores like them have or are in the process of going under.

Maybe Best Buy is different where I am.  The prices are very competitive and they have a lot of store sales, and when they do, its usually cheaper than any where else.  We mainly get cds, movies and a few games there during sales because they are very cheap.  I love Best Buy  8)

90snostalga

« Reply #1907 on: March 20, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »

So am I correct to assume that a multi platform game would be best on the pc compared to ps3 and 360?
Noooooooooooooooo. Sometimes we get the worst versions, or just half-baked console ports.

Ah okay.  I was going through the "browse" for pc games and was adding multi games to wish list like Boarderlands, Mass Effect, etc. but maybe I'll have to be weary of that.

Would you say its at least true for older pc games like in the 90s?  I know Doom is better on pc and wolfenstein for the DOS

foxhack

« Reply #1908 on: March 20, 2014, 08:39:12 pm »

So am I correct to assume that a multi platform game would be best on the pc compared to ps3 and 360?
Noooooooooooooooo. Sometimes we get the worst versions, or just half-baked console ports.

Ah okay.  I was going through the "browse" for pc games and was adding multi games to wish list like Boarderlands, Mass Effect, etc. but maybe I'll have to be weary of that.

Would you say its at least true for older pc games like in the 90s?  I know Doom is better on pc and wolfenstein for the DOS
Well, usually, yes. Consoles of the time really weren't designed with those kind of PC games in mind. But it depends on the game.

*goes back to sorting through his PC collection to delete / remove stuff he'll be trading off

90snostalga

« Reply #1909 on: March 20, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »
Boots and Pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants...  8)

foxhack

« Reply #1910 on: March 20, 2014, 09:15:59 pm »
On the plus side, I just found my SNES copier. ;D

anruiukimi

« Reply #1911 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:14 pm »

SNES copier? O-o

foxhack

« Reply #1912 on: March 20, 2014, 10:40:13 pm »

SNES copier? O-o
You see, back in the day there were these devices that plugged into consoles and let you copy your carts to floppy disc. You could also load games from floppies and play them on your SNES.

I bought this thing -years- ago, planning on using it to copy preserve some pirate original SNES games that a local rental shop had available. One was a Tekken game, the other was a Dragon Ball Z fighting game. But it took me many years to find a cheap SNES to test it with. :P

Not to mention the shop closed up. :(

I think I can use this to copy my really old Final Fantasy III end-game save, too. :D

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1913 on: March 20, 2014, 11:31:55 pm »
I'm amazed, astounded, and stupefied.

I shared the same thing about my Best Buy experience at the comic boards I frequent, and there are some people on the store clerk's side. :o

http://www.comiccollectorlive.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=42039

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1914 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:05 am »
So now Walmart is buying & selling used games , too?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1915 on: March 21, 2014, 08:04:49 am »
So now Walmart is buying & selling used games , too?

Yep. GameStop better be very damn careful. Walmart will squash them. The biggest thing Walmart has going for them is you can go there for anything. "I need to go grab some bread and lightbulbs. I might as well cruise the game section." 

argyle

« Reply #1916 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:18 am »
I've never understood how Wal-Mart sells so many games, as hard of a time as I have finding an employee to even open the stupid case.  I cannot imagine wanting to deal with a Wal-Mart employee trying to trade something in.  That sounds...nightmarish.   :o
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

anruiukimi

« Reply #1917 on: March 21, 2014, 09:13:50 am »

SNES copier? O-o
You see, back in the day there were these devices that plugged into consoles and let you copy your carts to floppy disc. You could also load games from floppies and play them on your SNES.

I bought this thing -years- ago, planning on using it to copy preserve some pirate original SNES games that a local rental shop had available. One was a Tekken game, the other was a Dragon Ball Z fighting game. But it took me many years to find a cheap SNES to test it with. :P

Not to mention the shop closed up. :(

I think I can use this to copy my really old Final Fantasy III end-game save, too. :D

I think I have vague memories of that, now that I think about it.

...someday, I will load my FF III cartridge, and all the saves will be gone. And I will be sad. But as of yet, still there! Just started another game on it a few weeks back.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #1918 on: March 21, 2014, 09:36:36 am »
I've never understood how Wal-Mart sells so many games, as hard of a time as I have finding an employee to even open the stupid case.  I cannot imagine wanting to deal with a Wal-Mart employee trying to trade something in.  That sounds...nightmarish.   :o

I'm thinking pretty much the same...

...of course, however, what should (and will) determine Walmart's success or failure will be the "Big 3" things:

1). Pricing,

2). Selection, and

3). Convenience - like Argyle said, if you've got to hunt someone down to open display cases, have a minimum wage-making , clerk who's completely clueless about gaming - and needs to call a manager (likely just as clueless about gaming) for constant price checks / approvals...resulting in wasting hours of your time to sell, trade-in, and/or buy some games...IMO , they'll be finished before even getting off of the ground.

Then again - there's a bunch of specifics that I don't know about & would want answers to like -

- do you get your choice of cash, store credit (towards games), and/or store credit (towards anything in the store)?,

- will they be buying/selling used games (like GS); meaning accepting & then re-selling loose games -OR- will they require (at the least) the proper original case & sleeve (and preferably) the game's manuals - for those that originally had them?

- will they know how to & bother to confirm how many discs a game should have Before they buy and/or attempt to re-sell them,

- what generations of merchandise will they be accepting?, and

- when is this supposed to start?

Anyone know any of these answers?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #1919 on: March 21, 2014, 10:02:41 am »

I'm thinking pretty much the same...

...of course, however, what should (and will) determine Walmart's success or failure will be the "Big 3" things:

1). Pricing,

2). Selection, and

3). Convenience - like Argyle said, if you've got to hunt someone down to open display cases, have a minimum wage-making , clerk who's completely clueless about gaming - and needs to call a manager (likely just as clueless about gaming) for constant price checks / approvals...resulting in wasting hours of your time to sell, trade-in, and/or buy some games...IMO , they'll be finished before even getting off of the ground.

Then again - there's a bunch of specifics that I don't know about & would want answers to like -

- do you get your choice of cash, store credit (towards games), and/or store credit (towards anything in the store)?,

- will they be buying/selling used games (like GS); meaning accepting & then re-selling loose games -OR- will they require (at the least) the proper original case & sleeve (and preferably) the game's manuals - for those that originally had them?

- will they know how to & bother to confirm how many discs a game should have Before they buy and/or attempt to re-sell them,

- what generations of merchandise will they be accepting?, and

- when is this supposed to start?

Anyone know any of these answers?

Going from memory, I believe it starts Sunday.  It was either the 23 or 26, and 26 would be the middle of the week which would make no sense. 

There is an online section where you can look up trade values now - sorry, don't have the link handy.  I can say that I looked up a couple of recent/popular games (Titanfall and Dark Souls II) and they were giving $24/each for them.   :-X  One could argue that GS is only giving $25 for DS2 right now, but that's base - they have their PUR which adds 10% as well as another promo which adds 30% on top of that if you trade towards certain games.  AFAIK, there are no such promos at WM, not right now at least.  I also looked up a really old 360 game I have that the other guys give jack for - Condemned 2.  They offered about $1.50, which is more than the .25 I think BB offers (and I imagine GS is about the same) but still not enough to matter IMO. 

From what I understand, trade-ins are for store credit only, tho that's a WM gift card that can be used on anything in the store (or at Sam's Club).  To a lot of people, if you can use the credit on food it's as good as cash.  Then again, from the stories GS people that I know tell me it seems most people who want cash for their games want it for more...nefarious reasons. 

It also appears that they do require the case at least.  So the only remaining possibility of this being somewhat beneficial to me will be what kind of used selection will they stock at the stores (and like you said, what game generations will they accept - if they take in PS2/GC era stuff and that lulls people who don't know any better to unload their old games, that could be really good for us collectors) and what prices will they charge for them.  I'm not really expecting good news on either - I'd be surprised if they take anything older than 360, and I don't expect great prices because Wal-Mart's NEW game prices suck.  They keep games for years & never drop the price - if I find anything remotely old in one of my local stores, it's usually still going for original retail or very close to it.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis