Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1597325 times)

anruiukimi

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #2235 on: May 08, 2014, 10:02:33 pm »
Bawww CCS blurays....I already have the whole set on DVD, I must resist. ;_;

Anyway, hard subs on the Japanese audio track is not cool, not too thrilled by that.

Siigh. (I collect certain CCS stuff, so I always hoped the BR set would come out here, but I'm not too keen on the look so far. :/ )

foxhack

« Reply #2236 on: May 09, 2014, 01:31:20 am »
Why the hell do they have hard subs on a Japanese language track? :o

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2237 on: May 09, 2014, 01:33:38 am »
Card Captor Sakura?  Used to watch that a long time ago...  I also remember the Sakura-Li pairing AMVs that I saw on YouTube while I was looking for some music.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

argyle

« Reply #2238 on: May 09, 2014, 02:54:53 am »
What am I missing - why are the hard subs bad?  (unless you speak Japanese I suppose?  ???)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2239 on: May 09, 2014, 09:08:23 am »
What am I missing - why are the hard subs bad?  (unless you speak Japanese I suppose?  ???)

*Has no idea/doesn't care wtf a "hard sub" is.*

As a non-Japanese speaking fan & collector of certain things 'Japanese' - as long as it's presented well enough in a language that I *can* understand...I really don't much care about anything else.

Sometimes (well, pretty much almost ALL of the time), I think that my ignorance of the Japanese is a good thing...IMO & in my case, I think that if I did know Japanese that it would make me too picky = harder for me to just enjoy the game/story on their own strengths & merits...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

argyle

« Reply #2240 on: May 09, 2014, 09:31:20 am »

AFAIK, a "hard sub" is just a subtitle that you can't turn off.  And since I couldn't understand the Japanese audio I'd never WANT to turn English subs off when the Japanese audio is on.  Which is where my confusion comes in.  :P

But honestly, I turn subtitles on on *everything* - games, movies, TV, the works.  A good friend got me in the habit years ago, he has a really bad hearing problem out of one ear and needs them to follow what's going on.  And once I got used to them, it bugs me when they're not on.  I've gotten my wife used to them too, so she's the same way.  You really get into the habit of glancing down at them when something is said that you can't quite make out, so it becomes annoying when they're not there. 

Game audio balance is almost always out of whack anyway.  Sometimes they let you adjust, which is the first thing I do - music down to about 50%, sound effects to around 80% & voices at 100% - otherwise the voices get drowned out. 
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

anruiukimi

« Reply #2241 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:58 am »

AFAIK, a "hard sub" is just a subtitle that you can't turn off.  And since I couldn't understand the Japanese audio I'd never WANT to turn English subs off when the Japanese audio is on.  Which is where my confusion comes in.  :P

Eh, my dislike of hard subs is largely out of habit (I used to make AMVs for fun) and for the fact that there isn't any real reason for it, the technology to turn them off and on has been there for decades. Also, I do occasionally like to watch anime with the subs off, to see how much of my Japanese I can remember.

But either way, it is very cool that the blu-ray set is getting a release, and for far cheaper than if I had bought the Japanese sets. :)

...the hard subs are possibly being required by the JP side of the mix to discourage reverse importation, now that I think about it. I've heard of that happening before.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 09:58:45 am by anruiukimi »

Bwigdahl

« Reply #2242 on: May 09, 2014, 10:00:14 pm »
I'm putting a freeze on my collecting for the time being... For a few reasons. Just dropped $700+ into my car (tires and random other shit) and considering how huge my back log is right now, I'm gonna spend my time focusing on beating some of these damn games. Gonna try to go at least the rest of this month without purchasing anything new (unless something once in a lifetime falls in my lap).

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2243 on: May 10, 2014, 01:20:09 am »
Tried to lessen my backlog, but that won't happen anytime soon since I tend to cycle around my collection at times.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

argyle

« Reply #2244 on: May 10, 2014, 07:16:52 am »
So this is rich.  A new thrift store opened in my neighborhood a couple weeks ago, so I stopped in.  The store overall was pretty pathetic, not just their games selection.  They had some faded Genesis sports games and I think some sports games from 1 or 2 other systems - pretty much it.  Only thing even kinda remotely interesting was a Yu-Gi-Oh game for the PS1 for $5.  I took it up front and asked them if I could check out the disk (they had the case taped shut, didn't want them to think I was stealing) and when I did I saw some nasty circular scratches near the edge of the disk.  Circular scratches are the worst, they'll kill a game faster than anything else.  So that combined with the fact that I wasn't THAT interested in the game anyway made me pass.

Fast-forward, this morning I'm checking out craigslist and I find this listing from someone that lives right down the road from me:

PlayStation 1 yugioh forbidden memories - $60

There is sight cracking on the original case. Has booklet. Disk is in almost perfect condition. I have seen this game go for as much as 90 bucks. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Otherwise I am keeping it and playing it.

ROFL.  HAS to be the same game, too weird of a coincidence otherwise.  I checked ebay to see where he got the ridiculous-sounding $90 from btw - there's ONE copy that sold for about $93, and it was factory sealed.  All the rest are going for between $5 - $15.  :P

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2245 on: May 10, 2014, 08:25:25 am »
I'm putting a freeze on my collecting for the time being... For a few reasons. Just dropped $700+ into my car (tires and random other shit) and considering how huge my back log is right now, I'm gonna spend my time focusing on beating some of these damn games. Gonna try to go at least the rest of this month without purchasing anything new (unless something once in a lifetime falls in my lap).

Most frequently seen (and eaten:) words on this site :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #2246 on: May 10, 2014, 10:54:40 am »
So this is rich.  A new thrift store opened in my neighborhood a couple weeks ago, so I stopped in.  The store overall was pretty pathetic, not just their games selection.  They had some faded Genesis sports games and I think some sports games from 1 or 2 other systems - pretty much it.  Only thing even kinda remotely interesting was a Yu-Gi-Oh game for the PS1 for $5.  I took it up front and asked them if I could check out the disk (they had the case taped shut, didn't want them to think I was stealing) and when I did I saw some nasty circular scratches near the edge of the disk.  Circular scratches are the worst, they'll kill a game faster than anything else.  So that combined with the fact that I wasn't THAT interested in the game anyway made me pass.

Fast-forward, this morning I'm checking out craigslist and I find this listing from someone that lives right down the road from me:

PlayStation 1 yugioh forbidden memories - $60

There is sight cracking on the original case. Has booklet. Disk is in almost perfect condition. I have seen this game go for as much as 90 bucks. Make me an offer I can't refuse. Otherwise I am keeping it and playing it.

ROFL.  HAS to be the same game, too weird of a coincidence otherwise.  I checked ebay to see where he got the ridiculous-sounding $90 from btw - there's ONE copy that sold for about $93, and it was factory sealed.  All the rest are going for between $5 - $15.  :P

No doubt it is some idiot reseller who has not played a video game in their life and has no idea how Ebay works. I hope they enjoy yugioh because they are going to have that game for a long, long time.

foxhack

« Reply #2247 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:38 pm »
Big Cheese update if anyone still cares:

I've just closed up the computer and it is very close to being finalized. I just ordered a new video card to replace my aging, but still worthwhile, XFX Radeon HD 6850. Once I get that I'll give the system a second cabling do-over (something is vibrating inside and I gotta figure out what it is), and then I'll declare the system completed.

I will celebrate by playing Pac-Man in MAME. :p

pacpix

« Reply #2248 on: May 11, 2014, 11:08:09 pm »
I will celebrate by playing Pac-Man in MAME. :p
Can't celebrate much better than that!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

foxhack

« Reply #2249 on: May 12, 2014, 12:20:51 am »
At full speed. 1100%. :p

Really though I ordered the card but I checked my order status and they told me I have to call to clear up the purchase. Guess my location tripped up their security thing.

That and this being the first order I'd made at that store in like ten years. Oops?