Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1582026 times)

karyann

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #4410 on: November 09, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
I didn't leave the house all day. I gave 25 NES games a fair shot. Let me say I found a couple that deserve more time.
This evening I watched a little football and now I'm topping it off with some solid UFC.

I've got a bunch of friends putting pictures of them and Royce Gracie on faceworld. A guy I know won a local title tonight. I guess I should have loaded up and gone to the amateur fights in Memphis.

Oh well, it was still a good day.

I love days like these :)

I went to the Super Smash Club event in Montreal yesterday. Got some cool loot, but the organization left to be desired. We weren't that far in line, but we had to wait until 6:15 before entering (the event started at 5:00), and most of the waiting was outside in the cold (no, Canadians are not immune to cold :( especially not on every beginning of a new winter, before getting used to it again).  And once inside, there were so many people playing Smash on their 3DS that it made it absolutely impossible to play with others if you weren't face to face in a tight circle, because the quantity of wi-fi data in the air was incredible and the games were so laggy they kept dropping if you weren't close enough to the others.

Still, I got some cool stuff, especially the drawstring bag! The picture on the right is the other side of the bag.

I had to win to get the bag, but luckily the team I was assigned to was 2 kids and my boyfriend and I, so we basically were sure to get a bag  :P (Don't worry, the guy watching our station was cool, he gave a bag to each of the kids, and one to the winner between us two. I did not beat a kid and steal his cool bag).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:50:09 am by karyann »

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4411 on: November 09, 2014, 10:29:29 am »
@ Karyann:

Sounds like you were in Streetpass Heaven there, huh?

Hellfire anb bloody damnation!   >:(

We had some early AM driving/running around to do this morning and, while flipping through different radio stations, Carrie landed on one playing some top-40 stuff from the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

I was stoked & "car-dancing/bopping"; seriously grooving right along to "Moving in Stereo", "My Best Friend's Girl", "Careless Whisper", "Don't Take the Girl", "Runaround Sue", "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "Enjoy the Silence", and some Midnight Oil (I *think*) song "How Can We Sleep While the Beds Are Burning?", or something and - it was all good  ;D

Anyone ever see the Sponge Bob episode where he can't get this song (aka a worm w/ a record player) out of his head?

Well then, this song (which, I'm sure that at least some of you here will remember), called the "Safety Dance" came on and now - almost an hour later...I can't get its blasted chipper & upbeat electronica refrain/hook outta' my mind; thus, I sit here feeling naught but sympathy for the square-pants-ed one  ???

What songs have afflicted you all, in this manner?
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #4412 on: November 09, 2014, 11:39:55 am »
What songs have afflicted you all, in this manner?

Lollipop by the Chordettes. The bad thing is that you can use any word/name with three syllables and substitute it in for the world "lollipop."

Bwigdahl

« Reply #4413 on: November 09, 2014, 12:39:23 pm »
Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri... They play that song at my job all the time, but there was like a week where I just kept singing the chorus in my head almost non-stop. It's not a typical catchy song, it's kinda slow and melancholy... I must've been depressed that week, lol

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4414 on: November 09, 2014, 01:43:02 pm »
Kash -

Little Tears to Tiara 2 update!

Chapter 3

Just after completing stage #8

I just got access to a monster-charming mechanic; when you attempt it though, a SH-type of judgement ring-y thing pops up to determine success (stronger & higher-leveled mobs have smaller "Hit" areas).

Also, a stage or 2 ago, Crafting also opened up...I've been liking the game more & more  ;D

My (unexpectedly) favorite part...

...the *humor*; man, the dialogue (especially Dion's) made me LOL a few times already  8)

kashell

« Reply #4415 on: November 09, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »
How is the crafting system? Are raw materials easy to find? I hear equipment can be transferred to new game plus, so that might help persuade me to grind for extra materials.

So, this might be me being kind of a brat, which I admit, I can be. However, I was shooting the breeze and looking for video game footage for Dreamcast games on youtube. I found this video by someone named Metal Jesus and, I guess, he does a variety of gaming related videos. That's neat and all, but he has this guest on here who apparently wants you to buy his gaming guides. I always thought that people who sell guides or instructional videos knew their stuff. However, this guy does two things wrong.

1. He calls Skies of Arcadia an RPG game. That just annoys the hell out of me. "Ah, so SoA is a role-playing game game."

2. When he discussed Sword of the Berserk, he mentioned how this game was inspired by Cloud from FF7. The Berserk series had been around at least 7 years before the PlayStation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4avp-8l_JU

My question to everyone is, has there ever been a video or an article by a "reputable" source that just said something to make you raise an eyebrow and question their authority?

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4416 on: November 09, 2014, 03:03:33 pm »
Was on a 3 day 2 night camping trip with another forum... Nearly 400 people showed up... it was crazy! But good to be back.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

foxhack

« Reply #4417 on: November 09, 2014, 03:39:17 pm »
My question to everyone is, has there ever been a video or an article by a "reputable" source that just said something to make you raise an eyebrow and question their authority?

Ahahahahaha. Lots of times. I'm far from the most knowledgeable person (and I have some controversial opinions of my own) but sometimes I just want to grab people and ask them wtf were they thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pJ6Lfkxtjg

That review. Is awful. No mention of the censorship, loading issues, speed issues, timing issues, or modifications done to the games. Shock Troopers is a disgusting hackjob of an excellent game. Argh.

Also MetalJesusRocks made a video about the site and it had some uh, issues. :p

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4418 on: November 09, 2014, 03:42:43 pm »
The crafting system is actually pretty bare-bones, at this point in the game, at least...maybe it opens up & gets more in-depth as the game progresses.  This is certainly possible since I'm still relatively early in the game.  At the moment, it's a pretty basic & generic form of adding materials to make a weapon into the same weapon "+1" then using the "+1" weapon w/ more materials to make it into the "+2" version, etc. 

There's also a (very) small # of skills (basically, passive abilities/gambits) to be crafted.

Crafting materials aren't at all abundant, either.  It seems like killing mobs only nets you HP & MP-restoring items + a paltry amount of money...Lack of money & crafting materials are both pretty frustrating inconveniences, thus far and - from what I'm seeing, the only reliable way of obtaining crafting items is by going out of your way to find & bust open any treasure chests on the battle maps.  This, however, is also a bit of a pain in the ass because, these chests are...w/o fail - not only always located in the farthest part of the map from your starting point -but- they're also almost always hidden in out of the way places with terrain, alleys, gaps, caves, etc blocking your view/line-of-sight of them.

Get in the habit of well, 1st - in the options menu, set your vertical & horizontal X & Y axis' to the way that you like them...then, make a habit of (as soon as the fight begins) -

* pressing START, to open up one of the menus, then

* selecting the "MAP" option.

This will bring up an overhead view of the entire map where you can locate & identify the locations of the chests by little treasure chest pics/icons...or, you can just always head for the farthest & most inconvenient reaches of each map to the same effect  :P

Btw, do you know what all does and doesn't carry over to NG+?
This is info I haven't come across anywhere & that I'd really like to see & know!

Have you come across any FAQs for the game yet?

I went into the game (and I'm still playing it) 'blind'...which both adds to & detracts from different aspects of the game.

I've got nothing for ya on that other thing though, because - I don't follow or subscribe to well...anyone or anything and I've never seen anyone that stands out as so good at ____, that I watch/read them enough to have ever cared enough about and/or been invested enough in anyone to let anything that they could ever do or say bother me or affect me in any other way either.

That said, I sometimes get annoyed by (and question people's intelligence & comprehension levels:) when I see the use of "RPG game", myself!  ::)

kashell

« Reply #4419 on: November 09, 2014, 04:15:41 pm »
I'm pretty sure weapons and items carry over. Levels do not. *sigh* Things like number of uses likely gets carried over, too. I'm still waiting for a solid FAQ to be put up.

Also MetalJesusRocks made a video about the site and it had some uh, issues. :p

About this site? This is the first time I ever heard of this guy.

argyle

« Reply #4420 on: November 09, 2014, 05:09:52 pm »
MJR makes some really good vids. He did an overview of different game catalog sites and I didn't think his take on vgcollect was that bad - he did mention something that was a valid complaint (that has since been remedied), the fact that you used to have to use the exact punctuation that was used when the game was entered when searching. Anyway, he has some great "hidden gem" videos, especially for the DS and Wii. I highly recommend those. :)

So I just started the first Ar Tonelico, and I was wondering if there was anything I need to know going in. I remember reading that there's a game-ending bug in the second one unless you do some exact thing, but I didn't know if there was anything like that in the original or just any good advice for someone starting out. :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4421 on: November 09, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »
Actually, levels not carrying over is a blessing - if you get to keep all of your equipment  :o

Wtf am I smoking/talking about?

Stat modifiers from what you equip are vastly more significant than the paltry +1's that you gain once in awhile when you level up!

More importantly, you'd be perma-screwed (by default) if your levels *did* carry over because...you'd lose ranking points (the points you need to "S" rank everything) due to the points that are subtracted from your overall rank scores for being "over-levelled"  :'(

Btw, when you get a chance, mosey on over to the thread for this game on the PS3trophies.org website.

There, in the only topic that I've made there, in what (was) the last post there, the last time that I looked...check out the post made by the girl there (the one w/ "Apple" in her user-name) for the very best breakdown, list of factors, and explanations concerning how your ranking score is determined/what will add to or detract from it that I've come across.

Seriously, it's worth printing out her post & having it by your side during every battle - at least until you know it all by heart  ;)

maximo310

« Reply #4422 on: November 09, 2014, 05:15:54 pm »
MJR makes some really good vids. He did an overview of different game catalog sites and I didn't think his take on vgcollect was that bad - he did mention something that was a valid complaint (that has since been remedied), the fact that you used to have to use the exact punctuation that was used when the game was entered when searching. Anyway, he has some great "hidden gem" videos, especially for the DS and Wii. I highly recommend those. :)
I'd reccomend most of his hidden gem videos, especially for the 6th generation and 7th generation consoles since they're usually multiple parts of 10+ minutes each with good description about these games and why the viewer should purchase the game for that specific platforms, and in addition many of the games he talks about were games I had never heard of before and really helped me out with my collection for those systems!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4423 on: November 09, 2014, 05:30:47 pm »
I'd reccomend most of his hidden gem videos, especially for the 6th generation and 7th generation consoles since they're usually multiple parts of 10+ minutes each with good description about these games and why the viewer should purchase the game for that specific platforms, and in addition many of the games he talks about were games I had never heard of before and really helped me out with my collection for those systems!

I don't know him personally but, I've always thought that this guy named "Racketboy"'s done a great job w/ hidden gems, obscure, and rare games.

Nothing game-crashing in the 1st AT game, Greg.

To optimize your playthrough/see all endings & events in the most efficient way, I'd say to only check a FAQ to find out the ending flags, points of no returns, when & where to make your different save files...to reload from and, possibly one for talk topics & diving too.

You'll be meeting at least 4 of the playable characters in Cross Edge in this game so, get to know them & enjoy the awesome music that makes up this game's OST...it's amazing!  ;D

kashell

« Reply #4424 on: November 09, 2014, 09:30:24 pm »
Applekraut? Yeah, she makes some fantastic guides. I'm sure at some point there will be an official platinum walkthrough courtesy of her. For now, I'm just going to get as much prep work as possible for the game. Tales of Hearts is just around the corner and I can't wait!