Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1552537 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #5565 on: January 13, 2015, 07:55:34 am »
What's the body shop's name? I'll write a scathing review on Yelp.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5566 on: January 13, 2015, 09:00:36 am »

don't even need to...just get them thinking that you *might* ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #5567 on: January 13, 2015, 09:38:59 am »

Mind games...I like it.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5568 on: January 13, 2015, 10:51:57 am »

Mind games...I like it.

;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

kashell

« Reply #5569 on: January 13, 2015, 12:33:17 pm »
I need an opinion.

First of all, I hate working out. Absolutely hate it. But, I know it's important so I tend to spend 45 minutes or so a few days out of the week attempting to "better" myself even though I would much rather be gaming. The last gym I joined was insanely expensive: 90 dollars a month for two people. So, we cancelled our memberships. Now, I'm struggling to find a facility that's close to either where I live or where I work. So far, I only have a few options and I'm not very pleased with them. Any insight on this FWP (first-world problem) would be appreciated.

Anytime Fitness is the cheapest. It's 30 dollars a month and open 24/7. The problem is that I am never able to get a hold of the staff so I can't even sign up. This worries me because if I want to cancel, I can already tell it will be a huge hassle.

There's a Cross Fit facility right across from my house. However, it's Cross Fit and I have been pretty adamant about not drinking that Kool-Aid. Also, it's probably 100 dollars a month.

There's a personalized facility called Koko, but it's also crazy expensive. The upside is that it's always a one-on-one session and never crowded.

Opinions on these? Am I better off buying my own equipment? I wouldn't even join a place until February since this is the worst month to go anywhere having to do with a NY resolution. This is really frustrating. I would much rather be bettering my Venom game in Guilty Gear than myself, after all. XD

soera

« Reply #5570 on: January 13, 2015, 12:37:22 pm »
I dont understand the need for gyms. As long as you eat right and stay active, shouldnt be an issue.

The only reason you would need a gym is if you are going to try to change your body and get a trainer.

bobster

« Reply #5571 on: January 13, 2015, 12:43:08 pm »
I need an opinion.

First of all, I hate working out. Absolutely hate it. But, I know it's important so I tend to spend 45 minutes or so a few days out of the week attempting to "better" myself even though I would much rather be gaming. The last gym I joined was insanely expensive: 90 dollars a month for two people. So, we cancelled our memberships. Now, I'm struggling to find a facility that's close to either where I live or where I work. So far, I only have a few options and I'm not very pleased with them. Any insight on this FWP (first-world problem) would be appreciated.

Anytime Fitness is the cheapest. It's 30 dollars a month and open 24/7. The problem is that I am never able to get a hold of the staff so I can't even sign up. This worries me because if I want to cancel, I can already tell it will be a huge hassle.

There's a Cross Fit facility right across from my house. However, it's Cross Fit and I have been pretty adamant about not drinking that Kool-Aid. Also, it's probably 100 dollars a month.

There's a personalized facility called Koko, but it's also crazy expensive. The upside is that it's always a one-on-one session and never crowded.

Opinions on these? Am I better off buying my own equipment? I wouldn't even join a place until February since this is the worst month to go anywhere having to do with a NY resolution. This is really frustrating. I would much rather be bettering my Venom game in Guilty Gear than myself, after all. XD
So I'm going to suggest a different route that works better for me. It might not work for you! I guess it all depends on how much willpower you have, but since you're already planning to go to the gym, I suspect you have some of that.

I'm suggesting just staying home and doing body weight exercises. No workout gear required and it works out your full body instead of just parts.

Rather than sounding like a freaking exercise commercial, here's a good article/routine that I've enjoyed.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

When I did have a gym membership, I really only used the treadmills to run. During the winter it's nice to have that option. I used Planet Fitness and it was good enough for my needs. Anytime Fitness seems to be in the same ballpark as Planet Fitness.

Ninja Edit:

I dont understand the need for gyms. As long as you eat right and stay active, shouldnt be an issue.

The only reason you would need a gym is if you are going to try to change your body and get a trainer.

Sometimes having a dedicated place to focus on staying active can do a lot for a person. It's not comfortable and warm like home is.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

kashell

« Reply #5572 on: January 13, 2015, 12:58:11 pm »
Bobster, I'll check out that article when I get back. Thanks for the link. If I can do the stuff I need to at my home, I'd be a very happy person.

Personally, I've been a twig most of my life until about 2010-ish. Diet and regular activity weren't enough until then. So, hearing folks say that they see the difference since joining a proper facility has been lovely. Now, I will say trainers are not a good use of money. There is so much free information out there.

davifus

« Reply #5573 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:54 pm »
I need an opinion.

I think you'll be better off getting your own weights. I have Anytime Fitness and they're pretty good with being there at their work hours.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

kashell

« Reply #5574 on: January 13, 2015, 02:29:55 pm »
Bobster: I read the article. I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it works. If I like it, then I'll be very happy since the money saved from nixing a gym membership can be used for...wait for it...video games!

bobster

« Reply #5575 on: January 13, 2015, 02:32:32 pm »
Bobster: I read the article. I'll give it a shot tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it works. If I like it, then I'll be very happy since the money saved from nixing a gym membership can be used for...wait for it...video games!
Good luck! I used to go to the gym and just hop from machine to machine. Wasn't very satisfying. Body weight and free weight exercises are way more my thing (even if I haven't been doing anything lately -_-.) The key thing for me is it doesn't take nearly as long as a gym visit (maybe 20 minutes) and I don't have to leave the house!

Now if only I could get myself to do it in the morning before showering  :(.

kashell

« Reply #5576 on: January 13, 2015, 03:23:00 pm »
Good luck! I used to go to the gym and just hop from machine to machine. Wasn't very satisfying. Body weight and free weight exercises are way more my thing (even if I haven't been doing anything lately -_-.) The key thing for me is it doesn't take nearly as long as a gym visit (maybe 20 minutes) and I don't have to leave the house!

Body and free weights are my du jour as well. Since it's 20 minutes, do you feel the same amount of satisfaction you would after a typical 45 minute to an hour work out?

bobster

« Reply #5577 on: January 13, 2015, 03:28:43 pm »

Body and free weights are my du jour as well. Since it's 20 minutes, do you feel the same amount of satisfaction you would after a typical 45 minute to an hour work out?
Well to be fair my 45 min to an hour work outs were only jogging/running. I don't think I could do that long with body and free weight stuff lol. Perhaps I'm not as hardcore as you though!

Bwigdahl

« Reply #5578 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:02 pm »

I stay pretty active at work. hauling pallets/carts back and forth all day and lifting 50+ lb boxes 40 hours a week. It's the eating right part that I struggle the most with. However I've lost around 20 lbs just by eating more home cooked meals over the last few months and changing absolutely nothing else. I'm still a good 20 to 30 pounds away from where I'd like to be but it's a start at least.

kashell

« Reply #5579 on: January 13, 2015, 03:49:22 pm »
My work is usually in front of a computer so I don't have much opportunity to be active unless I'm walking to lunch and taking the stairs back up to the 10th floor. It's something...I guess. XD