Author Topic: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:  (Read 1596746 times)

kashell

Re: VGC's Anonymous/"General" Topic:
« Reply #8205 on: September 21, 2015, 08:29:39 am »
I am living for Lady Gaga's new song and video. While it can be hard to watch at times, the message it sends is powerful.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8206 on: September 21, 2015, 10:52:39 am »
Where is a good place to get decent, Nintendo DS game boxes? From all the ones I said, they are cheaply made... Or do I have to suffer and deal with the cheaper ones?

I am gonna use http://www.thecoverproject.net/ to print out the covers though.

Thanks guys!
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

karyann

« Reply #8207 on: September 21, 2015, 12:04:47 pm »
Where is a good place to get decent, Nintendo DS game boxes? From all the ones I said, they are cheaply made... Or do I have to suffer and deal with the cheaper ones?

Thanks guys!

Brand new boxes can be ordered on Nintendo's online store:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod10409&categoryId=cat10120

They don't have the GBA slot though, but they're great otherwise! I ordered a bunch 2 years ago.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8208 on: September 21, 2015, 12:41:11 pm »

Thanks guys!

Brand new boxes can be ordered on Nintendo's online store:
https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod10409&categoryId=cat10120

They don't have the GBA slot though, but they're great otherwise! I ordered a bunch 2 years ago.

thank you!

1049-2600-8730

« Reply #8209 on: September 21, 2015, 05:15:07 pm »
Is there any reason to go with a Model 1 Genesis over a Model 2? I've heard that the Model 1s have better graphics, but is this something I'll even notice?
The sound on most Model 1 Genesis models is better than most of the Model 2 Genesis, although a Model 1 is a few bucks more compared to a model 2. I personally think that Model 1's have better build quality/parts than Model 2s so I'd reccomend you go with Model 1.

The sound is a big difference. A Genesis Model 1 has full stereo sound, but you have to run it through the headphone jack. I got a cheap cord that is a headphone jack on one end, and the white/red parts of the AV jacks on the other end. Works great. Model 2 is just mono.

There's also compatibility. I've read that there are a certain few of the odd-ball shaped carts (like the EA games) that work on a Model 1 and not a Model 2. Couldn't tell which ones, though, and they are a scant few.

And finally, if you want to use the Sega Power Base Converter to play Master System games, then you need to have a Model 1. While the Model 2 is technically still compatible, the plastic lip on the back of it cuts off the power supply on a Model 2 Genesis. You can't play any games without power.

Thanks guys! Model 1 it is.

kashell

« Reply #8210 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:27 am »
GameFAQs has a new rating system for their reviews. It's so awful. When I wrote a review, I had a number in mind. I didn't think, "Hmm, this game is worthy of only a couple of hearts."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8211 on: September 22, 2015, 01:16:31 pm »
So I went to GameStop to trade in a few retro games that I've had forever and can't even seem to trade away. Turns out that only a select few stores on the East Coast are even taking them. That sucks and makes little sense. It's not like the East Coast has more retro games than the West Coast or something. In fact, with Atari being from California and imports from Japan coming in from the West Coast, you'd logically think there would be a better supply of retro games over here.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8212 on: September 22, 2015, 01:21:50 pm »
So I went to GameStop to trade in a few retro games that I've had forever and can't even seem to trade away. Turns out that only a select few stores on the East Coast are even taking them. That sucks and makes little sense. It's not like the East Coast has more retro games than the West Coast or something. In fact, with Atari being from California and imports from Japan coming in from the West Coast, you'd logically think there would be a better supply of retro games over here.

what games you trying to offload? list em :)

1049-2600-8730

rayne315

« Reply #8213 on: September 22, 2015, 01:45:28 pm »
I just looked at gamestops prices for their retro games and some of them are crazy high. I hope nobody knowingly buys their expensive games as they are loose but priced higher than cib versions from auction sites.. things like romance of the three kingdoms II for $150? I know take it with a grain of salt but vg price charting lists a CIB at $120
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:51:17 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

karyann

« Reply #8214 on: September 22, 2015, 02:04:37 pm »
My boss just walked over, ripped a 4-inches thick phonebook with his bare hands, and went away.

... I'm not sure what just happened. #dailylifeatwork

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8215 on: September 22, 2015, 02:15:09 pm »
I just looked at gamestops prices for their retro games and some of them are crazy high. I hope nobody knowingly buys their expensive games as they are loose but priced higher than cib versions from auction sites.. things like romance of the three kingdoms II for $150? I know take it with a grain of salt but vg price charting lists a CIB at $120

I found that the more expensive games are actually good prices, while the cheaper end games are too expensive. Earthbound was going for $120 (though the GameStop guy last night saw that it just raised to $220). Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was only $30. And they could tell you if it was with the case or not.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8216 on: September 22, 2015, 02:18:27 pm »

what games you trying to offload? list em :)

Nothing you guys would want probably: NBA Live 2000 (PS1), MLB 2001 (PS1), Army Men 3D (PS1), Mortal Kombat (Genesis), High Speed (NES), Shadowgate (NES).

desocietas

« Reply #8217 on: September 22, 2015, 03:07:28 pm »
The retro thing is still fairly new, so it was just a few testing locations on the East Coast for the retro trade-ins.  They haven't expanded to everywhere yet - they may still be seeing if there's really a market it for it.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #8218 on: September 22, 2015, 04:12:47 pm »
My boss just walked over, ripped a 4-inches thick phonebook with his bare hands, and went away.

... I'm not sure what just happened. #dailylifeatwork

Not random at all.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8219 on: September 22, 2015, 04:21:54 pm »
The retro thing is still fairly new, so it was just a few testing locations on the East Coast for the retro trade-ins.  They haven't expanded to everywhere yet - they may still be seeing if there's really a market it for it.

Then they need to market it better, then. Most people don't even know it's happening. Put up something in the store about it. Or even better, sell the retro stuff in the stores.