Author Topic: Language Variations?  (Read 1488 times)

artikskarab

Language Variations?
« on: December 08, 2012, 12:28:44 am »
Hi, Artik here.

Just found the site 2 days ago and it's pretty much the best collection database site I was able to find on the Internet. Props to the team! Now for my query.

I'm a french-canadian gamer, so a lot of my games come in bilingual packages (aka english and french text on it). For most of my games, it's not a real problem. I just go with the NA release, do a quick search to see if the Item Number/Barcode are different, and use the english Box Text. But, there are a couple of games that I own that have different Barcodes. As an exemple, the Barcode for Skyrim on the site is 093155117624, but the Barcode on my bilingual copy is 093155117655. So my question is twofold.

1- Should bilingual versions of the game be added as a new version of the game?
2- Can I update images using my bilingual copies or do they need to be english only?

I thank you in advance for reading my query. I hope I can be of some help filing up the database.
Crying does not show your weakness... Crying means you have the strength to accept all of your emotions!
Now playing: Ratchet & Clank Collection - PS3

darko

Re: Language Variations?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 12:57:38 am »
I would suggest making a new NA submission and noting the bilingual variance in the title. For example: Skyrim (Bilingual Variant) or Skyrim (French/English Variant). In the description you could note the languages available on the the disc, upload the appropriate artwork to match the specific version you have, maybe the fact that it was only available in Canada (also in the description), and put the other facts in such as the barcode.

scott

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 09:56:56 am »
Yup, what darko said. And thanks and welcome to the site!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
Welcome to the site, Artik!

I think the dual-language text is pretty common (at least for the US versions of PS3 games that I buy); since just about all of 'em have everything on the game's case (and in the instruction manuals) in both English & French...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:40:50 am »
Ya, but then there are NES games that were released in Canada that had different box text from the "US" versions. A couple examples I can think of off the top of my head right now are Faxanadu and Kirby's Adventure. Of course, I think we have an actual Canadian section for NES games already, so they wouldn't be put in with the US listings anyway.

artikskarab

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:51 pm »
Ok, but should I make a new item in the database only if the Barcodes are different or for all the items that have bilingual packaging? I'm not sure, because I see that some items in the database already use bilingual images, so I'm not sure if they're avalible in all of North America or if it was Canadians that put the images there...
Crying does not show your weakness... Crying means you have the strength to accept all of your emotions!

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »
We're fine with new entries for bilingual packaging. What games on the site have you seen that have bilingual artwork?

(Also: I'm now adding the English/French variant of Samurai Shodown Anthology, haha.)

artikskarab

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:59 pm »
I've mostly seen them pop up for Wii games, but they're a little everywhere... Here are 2 examples I could find:

Zelda: Skyward Sword: http://vgcollect.com/item/20228
Kirby's Epic Yarn: http://vgcollect.com/item/5399

foxhack

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 11:01:17 pm »
It depends on the game.

I couldn't find an English only version of Kirby's Epic Yarn or Skyward Sword - however, I only found all-English Skyward Sword + Gold Remote Bundle boxes.

So basically, IF there are confirmed box variants, then go ahead. But if there aren't (the only versions are English + French) then there's no need.

artikskarab

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 12:29:23 pm »
Should I write both versions of the Box Text or only the English version?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:34:38 pm »

Huh...Hmm...Good question, actually - I've never even thought about that.
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

insektmute

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 02:43:57 pm »
I'd go with a new entry if the cover and/or barcode are notably different. As far as which title, maybe go with the one that's written on the spine?

artikskarab

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 03:12:47 pm »

Huh...Hmm...Good question, actually - I've never even thought about that.

I'm not sure because some of my games are trilingual (English, French and Spanish) and they would be a pain to write, but they're part of the text so I'm not sure...

foxhack

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:25:24 pm »
We're a primarily English site, so my vote goes for English only. Especially if it has multiple languages since it would make the page much larger (in dimensions, not file size) than it actually needs to be.

scott

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »
I agree on the English only.