Author Topic: An invitation to visit and/or contribute to my video game website, FEMICOM  (Read 1502 times)

rachel

Hello, friends! Now that I've been here for almost a year (!), I thought I'd share a little bit about one of my game-related endeavors.

I am the director of FEMICOM, the feminine computer museum, online at http://femicom.org. I seek to archive girly video games, electronic toys, and software of the 20th century. You can read more about the museum on the website's About page, but briefly, the goal is to collect and preserve the memory of "pink games," often derided or discarded, and other electronic items that were created in the '80s and '90s in an attempt to appeal to a female audience. I maintain an online database of games as well as a physical collection of games, boxes, manuals, etc. By collecting physical copies, I am able to get reliable sources for release data as well as photos, screenshots, video gameplay, etc. (From what I can tell via Google searches, FEMICOM is the sole source of information on at least a few of these games!) In addition to collecting games, I am also collecting gameplay memories from the site's visitors as well as information from game developers and artists in the form of sketches, interviews, and so on.

If you have memories to share, suggestions, or materials to donate to the collection, do let me know. (I'm especially eager to get a complete collection of the Casio Loopy games, though I know they're hard to come by.) Or, just check out the site! I would appreciate it. The site is fairly new, so there is certainly much to add, but FEMICOM is getting bigger and more complete by the week. I'm hopeful that I can one day make the physical collection open to the public through museum installation, though I realize there may be some legal barriers. Stay tuned for further developments, and thank you for reading!

Contact information: femicommusem@gmail.com

anton

Re: An invitation to visit and/or contribute to my video game website, FEMICOM
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:49:04 am »
So mostly you accept game with a girl as the main character?
If so you should add Princess Crown. How about Alice? Madness returns etc, i know it's not really girly but it features a girl as the main character.
Sorry if i didn't get the idea of "pink game", im not sure.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 10:08:57 am »
So mostly you accept game with a girl as the main character?
If so you should add Princess Crown. How about Alice? Madness returns etc, i know it's not really girly but it features a girl as the main character.
Sorry if i didn't get the idea of "pink game", im not sure.
I don't think that fits in with "games that are featuring feminine design elements"...

Also Is Kirby a feminine game? I see it listed on your site.. sure it's cute, but feminine I dunno. What about Yoshi's Island 2?

Also what of the cute-em-ups? Shooters like Cotton, Magical Chase and Star Parodier which feature cute enemy design.

darko

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:17:31 am »
Super Princess Peach?

anton

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:22:13 am »
I don't think that fits in with "games that are featuring feminine design elements"...

Also Is Kirby a feminine game? I see it listed on your site.. sure it's cute, but feminine I dunno. What about Yoshi's Island 2?
Oh alright, my bad, i didn't get the idea of "pink game"

rachel

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:09 am »
One of the most interesting parts of this website is trying to figure out what "stereotypically girly" means! The discussion is just as important as the website, if not more so.

I'm on the fence about whether Kirby and Yoshi's Island should remain. They have pastel colors and I believe did have a stronger appeal to girls than many other games of that era, but honestly they may not really belong after all. I need to look into the cute-'em-ups (great word!); I know even the SFC Parodius has some amazing floral tiled backgrounds in menu screens. And while Super Princess Peach more than fits the bill, I'm only collecting games from 2000 or earlier.

Thanks for your comments!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 12:10:02 pm »
Interesting idea for a site, and the Q&A was insightful and a pleasure to read!

I was going to mention Rhapsody - but saw that you've already got it covered.

When I clicked-on "share a memory w/ Femicom", I typed-out my comment & hit send...but there seems to be a problem/error w/ you receiving it; just thought that I'd point that out to you.

Also...needs The Misadventures of Tronne Bonne!

Out of curiosity - why only pre-2,000 games?

I'm surprised that you wouldn't want to keep up to date w/ newer/current games (like Mugen Souls, Neptunia series, A Witch's Tale, etc)...for visitors to your site who enjoy these games & could presently be interested in/looking for some to play?!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 12:23:36 pm »
I forgot Coryoon!  4 shame...

scott

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:19 pm »
I'm not sure on Kirby. When Kirby's Dreamland came out for the Game Boy I remember me and my cousins all loved it (all boys too), while my sister didn't really get into it, but thought it was cute. If it were something marketed toward girls, I'm pretty sure my cousins wouldn't have touched it with a 10 ft pole, due to misplaced concerns over if things they like were girlie or not. ha
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:24:23 pm »
Also (and I think that some of them were pre-2000); the Atelier series of games might also qualify...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

rachel

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 01:35:33 pm »
Thank you for all the suggestions; they're great!

There are a number of reasons I chose to limit the collection to 2000 and earlier. Given that it's a personal undertaking, I definitely considered project scale and my own areas of expertise. But I also think these are the games most in need of concerted preservation efforts.

Since the Wii came out, there's been a fair amount of discourse about how gaming and the gamer demographic is changing. More females are playing video games. Meanwhile, retro gaming aesthetic is invoked as a device to return the game-literate player to "the way things used to be." Mega Man 9 is hard because Mega Man 2 was hard, and only the most practiced players could get through it; no social gamers allowed, so to speak. Of course I don't mean just Mega Man 9 but also the huge swath of mobile and indie games that feature an 8- or 16-bit aesthetic as an appeal to an earlier era of gaming.

I think there are some really interesting ideas embedded in there about the retro gaming aesthetic and larger cultural issues within gaming. How they intersect with gender and gender stereotypes is the focus of my study as a graduate student, in fact. By cataloguing games from 2000 and earlier, FEMICOM is able to catalogue the retro and the feminine together, which I think makes it an interesting site for discussion.

Of course, soon enough 2000-2010 is going to be retro, but that's a worry for another day...! :)

(By the way, I tested the email link, and it worked for me just fine. I don't know whether it was a hiccup or is perhaps a browser issue, but I would certainly appreciate any additional information about the error you received.)