Author Topic: Sony's new and evil patent  (Read 4160 times)

htimreimer

Sony's new and evil patent
« on: January 04, 2013, 12:59:18 am »
xbox may not stop you from getting second hand games but it looks like the ps4 will. check the link for more info: http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

sin2beta

Re: Sony's new and evil patent
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:10 am »
After working in lab settings, I know that companies patent literally everything that they think they can. Whether or not they think it will ever be used. Most employees are told and expected to patent. So, I do not always put stock into this type of stuff.

That being said, I do expect to see more of this in the future. Although I do not know exactly how long it will last. There have been attempts at this stuff to small degrees. I think a lot of new game purchases come from people selling their recently purchased games. People play games, beat them, and sell them to fund more games. This creates a fake and larger money source for people who buy new games. I honestly don't see more people buying new games. The most likely thing that would happen is that game companies will forcibly create a steam or app store "race to the bottom" in price structure to compete for people's monthly game budgets.

If you can't trade you are pickier and more frugal with money. Personally, I think the companies will only be hurting themselves. I would expect a few companies to try this (EA) and others will sit back and learn from their mistakes. But I could be overly optimistic.

I expect things to change a lot after this next generation of consoles. By that time, I will be old enough and set in my ways enough to not care for this new-fangled technology and just sit on my couch listening to Grunge music while playing my Genesis. I did it in 1991 and I'm doing it in 2013. So, I'm fine with any changes made. But seriously, there is enough stuff already released to keep me busy. It would just make my collecting easier.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:58:08 am »
I agree with this not being concrete evidence of this being implemented in the PS4. We also saw patents by Sega for a new console based off of their Ring-Edge arcade hardware a couple years back. This console never saw the light of day. Yet it got a handful of Sega fans very hopeful and vocal in the online gaming community for a short time.

So even though a patent is filed, it doesn't mean it's gonna happen. It's just a way for companies to prevent other companies from getting the jump on them.

htimreimer

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:22:50 am »
the reason i can see this in the ps4 is because sony is having problems (mostly financial problems) with the console market and this would help there problems but i agree that this is not being concrete evidence
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:24:32 am by htimreimer »

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:28 am »
Nail in the coffin if true...

jobocan

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:10 am »
Sony announcing that patent sent a big backlash already. If they have their fingers on the pulse they KNOW that it's a bad idea. The biggest effect is tons of people saying they'll not be buying Sony's next console.
Whether or not this actually makes it to the PS4 is irrelevant, the fact that they're considering it is a big deterrent to many people. What most people are (probably rightfully) thinking... they could not implement it at first to lure people who know it's a dumb idea, and then start using the DRM a year or 2 down the line.

The game industry shouldn't be treating the customers like crap, and if they don't learn that soon it will blow up in their face.
There's one pretty simple way to counter whatever effect the used game market has on them: price games properly. But that's not happening with the constantly-increasing cost of game development. And they also need to realize that... well, the used game market isn't an inherently bad thing for them.

We'll see what the future holds, but if Sony actually do this... they're dead.

ko1ru

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:23:40 am »
Nail in the coffin if true...

Precisely.

darko

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 09:38:16 am »
If they do implement this, it just proves that they WANT to fail in the console market. Nintendo has already set the precedent in the new generation by allowing preowned games to be played.

jobocan

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 09:47:24 am »
Actually, thinking about it... I think they're already using a form of that DRM. Specifically with cross-buy games. Cross-buy is a feature on the game disc that let's you connect the PSN and get a free download of the Vita version of the game, but it only works once per disc, as the disc gets registered on their systems and it detects if you try getting the download on another PS3 and/or PSN account.

In that particular use it makes sense actually, but it also shows that they are using this tech already, maybe here as testing before they implement it fully in their next console.

darko

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 09:52:07 am »
Actually, thinking about it... I think they're already using a form of that DRM. Specifically with cross-buy games. Cross-buy is a feature on the game disc that let's you connect the PSN and get a free download of the Vita version of the game, but it only works once per disc, as the disc gets registered on their systems and it detects if you try getting the download on another PS3 and/or PSN account.

In that particular use it makes sense actually, but it also shows that they are using this tech already, maybe here as testing before they implement it fully in their next console.

Or just patenting it for this reason. That would make sense and seems fair to me.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 10:11:48 am »
I know about the patent-filing and I also know (less than) Sin2beta does (but, enough to know that he's right:)

I'm not worried.

I don't believe (and won't believe it until I see it happen/hear it from Sony) that they'll be making it impossible to play any used games on their next console...it would be suicide for them.

If MS *doesn't* do the same...Sony's lost before the console releases,

If MS *does* do the same...then, both MS & Sony are pretty much both giving the "gen" away to Nintendo, by default.

TL;DR = Patent filed /=/ feature concretely implemented :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

darko

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 10:24:34 am »
If MS *does* do the same...then, both MS & Sony are pretty much both giving the "gen" away to Nintendo, by default.

This will mark a sad day in gaming history. I'm sorry, but Nintendo has effectively lost my business when it comes to home consoles. There's close to nothing that will get me to drive to a store and buy a new WiiU. I might pick one up when the used market picks up, but that will likely not be for at least a year or so. I just don't get the draw, at all.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 10:37:47 am »

This will mark a sad day in gaming history. I'm sorry, but Nintendo has effectively lost my business when it comes to home consoles. There's close to nothing that will get me to drive to a store and buy a new WiiU. I might pick one up when the used market picks up, but that will likely not be for at least a year or so. I just don't get the draw, at all.

*ABSOLUTELY* Agree - QFT!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 10:43:46 am »
I tend to agree. A lot of people simply do not buy new items whether it be cars, furniture, appliances, houses, games, etc. It does not make sense from my standpoint. And from a business standpoint, it does not make sense to try to implement (if that is their end result) to make second hand games not usable. It pushes away a large percentage of the community from purchasing and would be a bigger loss of any sort of profit as opposed to the way game systems are done now.

As a side note since its mentioned here, I never knew what TL;DR was til I saw it on here and had to look it up ... I cant believe all the silly abbreviations in the world now.

soera

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:27 am »

While I dont necessarily say that Nintendo has lost my support in the console world, I will agree that they have nothing on the Wii U right now other than nifty features ... but that alone is not going to get me to buy one. Since the release of the playstation, they have been my first console purchase every generation. If this option is pushed through, it will move Sony from the front of the line for sure.