Author Topic: Sony's new and evil patent  (Read 4158 times)

karyann

Re: Sony's new and evil patent
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 11:03:57 am »
By that time, I will be old enough and set in my ways enough to not care for this new-fangled technology and just sit on my couch listening to Grunge music while playing my Genesis. I did it in 1991 and I'm doing it in 2013. So, I'm fine with any changes made. But seriously, there is enough stuff already released to keep me busy. It would just make my collecting easier.

I've been thinking the same since I first heard about the "digital only" and "second-hand protection" things. I've got plenty of games to keep me busy for years, and it'll just be easier to acquire all those that I want if they stop making games that I want (or the way I want). :P You summarized my thoughts perfectly!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 12:12:58 pm »
As a side note since its mentioned here, I never knew what TL;DR was til I saw it on here and had to look it up ... I cant believe all the silly abbreviations in the world now.

Haha :P

Me too - I had to look-up "smh" the other day when Desocietas used it somewhere, too  :-\

Since the release of the playstation, they have been my first console purchase every generation. If this option is pushed through, it will move Sony from the front of the line for sure.

I'm w/ you here, too...word for word - I just keep telling myself that "Sony can't really be *THAT* stupid"...but; as I'm telling myself this - I really do have to wonder  :'(

I've been thinking the same since I first heard about the "digital only" and "second-hand protection" things. I've got plenty of games to keep me busy for years, and it'll just be easier to acquire all those that I want if they stop making games that I want (or the way I want). :P You summarized my thoughts perfectly!

He he :)

Did a fine summarization for me, as well!

Stop making *Physical* games for your consoles = I'll stop buying both your consoles -and- the games that will be on it.

I also have *MORE* THAN a large enough backlog to never *need* to buy another game...and if I did...I'd just continue collecting physical games for the platforms that I already own  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:47 pm »
I loved the PS2, but ended up hating Sony by the start of the PS3 era. Mostly due to having gone through 3 original PS2s over the course of it's life, plus having the HDD paired with the 1st PS2 it was mounted into and being non-transferable on the fly. I haven't agreed with 90% of their choices this gen and hate their network (which seems to take forever to do updates or download things). Not to mention being forced to install games in order to continue playing them usually breaking the flow of the game, MGS4 is notorious for that.  If something like this were true, I'm pretty positive that I'll never touch another Sony gaming console ever.  :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 01:06:14 pm by scott »
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 12:58:36 pm »
If this option is pushed through, it will move Sony from the front of the line for sure.

Actually, this can't really push them back any further (except maybe off a cliff). The PS3 is still the least sold console in the US in it's respected generation.

soera

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:55 pm »
If this option is pushed through, it will move Sony from the front of the line for sure.

Actually, this can't really push them back any further (except maybe off a cliff). The PS3 is still the least sold console in the US in it's respected generation.

Heh I mean from the front of my line! It would never put them behind a Microsoft system however.

darko

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 02:48:06 pm »

Heh I mean from the front of my line! It would never put them behind a Microsoft system however.

Meh, I've been playing the PS3 quite a bit over the past few weeks and I do REALLY prefer the dashboard (or whatever it's called) compared to the 360s. I also like the fact that the games come on a Bluray and, believe it or not, that the games automatically save data to the HDD before you start playing it. Sure, it takes some time, but my load times in FO:NV are MUCH improved over the 360 version with the full game installed. The PS3 is simply a more powerful machine.

HOWEVER, I have no issue with the 360 whatsoever. It's still a great console and I prefer the controller over the PS3s by quite a bit. It's got a nice weight distribution and I find the L3 and R3 buttons on the PS3 controller waaaay too touchy.

When it comes down to it, both consoles have their pros and cons and neither of them have enough exclusives to make a real "this console has better games" argument. Basically, I feel that they are equal. Then again, I've never had either console die on me. Come to think of it, I've never had any console die on me.

Honestly, the PS4 and new XBOX will likely be so freaking close in performance and releases that it will matter even less which one you choose.

As far as your comment is concerned....you're just a fanboy....which you already know. If Sony really did make it impossible to play used games on the PS4 and MS didn't? You'd jump ship in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 02:51:06 pm by darko »

sin2beta

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 09:18:34 pm »
Actually, I do have to say that if everything goes with the no second hand games. I figure digital downloads will become the main way to go.

Will this be an opening for the steambox?

Basically, X-Box sales are insane because they are not sales at all. Games stay at 60 USD for seemingly forever. I don't know how PSN is. However, Steam sales are insane in that you gan get about 100 games without realizing it. They have massively cheap sales. In all honesty, I do not mind digital too much if it goes that way. ALthough, the bulk of my buying will probably still be retro physical releases.

All in all, if second hand games are prohibited, I'd probably buy a steam box. Well, I would just use steam on my computer, but you get my point.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 09:44:11 pm »
I've said it before, and I'll say it again.

If games go all digital, I'll be buying retro games exclusively.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:45 pm »
In all honesty, I'd probably go that route as well. As much as I do sometimes like the idea of digital. I look at my steam library and I have 5 games total. I love my vvvvvv but I just can't get motivated to buy digital it seems. I've gone all digital in music and movies. But I could not tell you the last movie or album I purchased.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

madmax

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »
Sony are in a really tough spot right now. The PS3 didn't do so well because of the way they acted when they decided to take away some features on the PS3. They defied hackers and even dared them to try to hack them, it cost them Millions of dollars and a lot of bad advertising. Several of their websites were hacked as well and the hacking community basically targeted Sony for being so arrogant.

If the PS4 comes out with such technology, the fans aren't gonna be happy. The community will ultimately try to hack the PS4 in order to make used games work. It would be a PR mess and the final straw for Sony.

htimreimer

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2013, 01:51:27 am »
Sony are in a really tough spot right now. The PS3 didn't do so well because of the way they acted when they decided to take away some features on the PS3. They defied hackers and even dared them to try to hack them, it cost them Millions of dollars and a lot of bad advertising. Several of their websites were hacked as well and the hacking community basically targeted Sony for being so arrogant.
thats why can see them using this technology,they lost a lot of money and the removal second hand games would help them get that money back and we have seen time and time again they dont care for there fans with them just leaving account information txt files and the removal of other os
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 01:56:10 am by htimreimer »

ffxik

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2013, 02:45:52 am »
thats why can see them using this technology,they lost a lot of money and the removal second hand games would help them get that money back and we have seen time and time again they dont care for there fans with them just leaving account information txt files and the removal of other os

Nope.  Sony would effectively be cutting their own throats with this move.  They lost so much before simply because they promised certain features, then took them away.  Then had the audacity to throw that back in the consumers face.  If they implement the used game restriction, Sony would lose vastly more money from unsold consoles just sitting  on store shelves.  This would literally be Sony's death knell in the console market.

As long as the media stays physical I really don't see the used market going anywhere.  That is why they are pushing digital so much.  Which depending on how things go.  That may not even be the case as speculation is abound with the sales of used digital content.

No one knows what the future holds.

htimreimer

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2013, 03:08:17 am »

Nope.  Sony would effectively be cutting their own throats with this move.  They lost so much before simply because they promised certain features, then took them away.  Then had the audacity to throw that back in the consumers face.  If they implement the used game restriction, Sony would lose vastly more money from unsold consoles just sitting  on store shelves.  This would literally be Sony's death knell in the console market.

As long as the media stays physical I really don't see the used market going anywhere.  That is why they are pushing digital so much.  Which depending on how things go.  That may not even be the case as speculation is abound with the sales of used digital content.

No one knows what the future holds.

i dont think this would a day one thing but instead update for the ps4 after they
sold enough consoles   

madmax

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2013, 06:31:24 pm »
You have to remember that Sony usually loses money on console sales and then they make money on game sales and accessories. If Sony does something like this and enough people are upset about it, the PS4 sales may not be very good at all. If no ones buying their systems, no one will be buying their games and then they will lose more money because they will have a bunch of PS4 sitting on shelves. Unsold inventory is more expensive to keep than selling it at a loss.

karyann

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 10:44:01 pm »
In all honesty, I'd probably go that route as well. As much as I do sometimes like the idea of digital. I look at my steam library and I have 5 games total. I love my vvvvvv but I just can't get motivated to buy digital it seems. I've gone all digital in music and movies. But I could not tell you the last movie or album I purchased.

I have many games on steam, but I don't consider them part of my collection. I know I listed them in my collection here, but I did it just because I could, I guess. I don't even know :P But I don't count any of my PC games, digital or retail, in my own collection count.

Anyway, I don't know many (if any) collectors who prefer digital games. I guess it's part of the fun of collecting, to be able to hunt the games, and also to be able to look at all that hard work on display. I know I love it.