Author Topic: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?  (Read 317023 times)

Re: What Was The Last Movie/Anime You Watched?
« Reply #2445 on: June 26, 2024, 02:26:36 am »
Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith - It's always shocking to me how much of a leap in quality Revenge of the Sith is to just Attack of the Clones.  The first two movies are nearly unwatchable to me, but this one is pretty great from beginning to end.  It has its issues for sure strewn about, but I'm rarely annoyed by anything like the last two.  Good opener, the fall of Anakin works...enough...I don't think it's great, like he goes from questioning things to murdering children real fast and the stuff with Padme is "eh", sorta wish they had gone about it a different way.

That being said, I sorta feel like his movie is sitting pretty high on the list.  Best in the prequels, I like it more than Return of the Jedi, I might at this point put it above Empire as I don't think I enjoy the stuff after Hoth as much other than some of Luke's training and the Luke vs Vader fight.  It's always hard for me to compare old movies with new movies in a very direct way, but I think A New Hope is such a classic all around, so below that.

Gonna do the full sequel trilogy next and then will do Solo and Rogue One.  Between this I might go and watch Ahsoka since it's the only thing I have left that I haven't seen.  Don't think I'll rewatch all the television series at this point, but maybe I will.  Could all be a nice lead up to Star Wars Outlaws and eventually I need to get to playing Jedi Survivor.

« Reply #2446 on: June 29, 2024, 03:21:49 pm »
jackass: the movie - It's not just about the pranks themselves, it's also about the execution. And no one is better at it than these idiots.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2024, 03:47:07 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2447 on: June 30, 2024, 03:21:28 am »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens - This one is great, I feel as if I enjoy it more since my last watch. It certainly has the issue of being a light rehash of a New Hope, hero found on a desert planet, a Darth Vader type character, leading up to a planet destroying space station, but there's a lot of great stuff going on.  It's just a real fun scifi adventure, I love the whole cast.  It still annoys me how little they utilize Phasma, she gets the Boba Fett treatment, even though she has a great look and is a great actress.  I think she should've been on the planet when they show up to capture Rey, getting into that fight with Finn, pushing him to his limit, nearly killed because she's better, just to get blasted by Han, but survives and gets away.  Would've been way better.

« Reply #2448 on: June 30, 2024, 04:38:19 pm »
A Quiet Place: Day One - The concept of A Quiet Place remains a strong elevator pitch that continues to erode logistically the longer the franchise runs and the larger the setting.  Fortunately this entry boasts some great setpieces coupled with really strong performances to counterbalance those issues.  Probably the weakest of the three films, but it is still pretty solid.

« Reply #2449 on: June 30, 2024, 05:32:52 pm »
A Quiet Place: Day One - The concept of A Quiet Place remains a strong elevator pitch that continues to erode logistically the longer the franchise runs and the larger the setting.  Fortunately this entry boasts some great setpieces coupled with really strong performances to counterbalance those issues.  Probably the weakest of the three films, but it is still pretty solid.

This feels like one of those series that didn't need a sequel, but it somehow seems to continue being decent.  I thought the second movie was gonna be unnecessary, so I avoided it, but it turned out to be pretty good.  This movie with it being set in the early point of the apocalypse is what I thought the previous movie was gonna be about, which I didn't really want, but it sounds like they did things decently enough, so I might check it out when it hits home release.

dhaabi

« Reply #2450 on: June 30, 2024, 05:48:10 pm »

This feels like one of those series that didn't need a sequel, but it somehow seems to continue being decent.  I thought the second movie was gonna be unnecessary, so I avoided it, but it turned out to be pretty good.

I feel strongly that A Quiet Place didn't need a sequel, especially considering it was written as such. The debut entry is good, but the sequel entry was far from it, in my opinion. I'm sure at some point I'll get around to watching A Quiet Place: Day One, but I wouldn't even consider it to be on my watch list backlog.

« Reply #2451 on: June 30, 2024, 06:05:58 pm »
I feel strongly that A Quiet Place didn't need a sequel, especially considering it was written as such. The debut entry is good, but the sequel entry was far from it, in my opinion. I'm sure at some point I'll get around to watching A Quiet Place: Day One, but I wouldn't even consider it to be on my watch list backlog.

I agree, it didn't need a sequel whatsoever, but the sequel they did make was still good, like the original would be a 9, and the sequel would be a 7 or 8, which is still solid.  More often than not these type of movies get sequels that are so much worse, like Monsters from 2010, where it's just a solid, interesting, single story, but they made a sequel to capitalize on the success of the original, and ultimately failed.  I view 28 Days Later in a similar way to a Quiet Place currently, where you get this great single movie that didn't need a sequel, but it had a decent enough sequel, though it could certainly not do it right for the upcoming movie, but hopefully it's a situation where it turns out well.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 11:46:19 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2452 on: July 01, 2024, 08:36:43 am »

I agree, it didn't need a sequel whatsoever, but the sequel they did make was still good, like the original would be a 9, and the sequel would be a 7 or 8, which is still solid.  More often than not these type of movies get sequels that are so much worse, like Monsters from 2010, where it's just a solid, interesting, single story, but they made a sequel to capitalize on the success of the original, and ultimately failed.  I view 28 Days Later in a similar way to a Quiet Place currently, where you get this great single movie that didn't need a sequel, but it had a decent enough sequel, though it could certainly not do it right for the upcoming movie, but hopefully it's a situation where it turns out well.

This is my opinion as well.  It would have been perfectly fine to leave it at just the first film, but it's not like they've embarrassed themselves with the sequels.

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F - A real throwback to the 80s in the best ways.  Terrific soundtrack and decent action.  Biggest issues are that it's way too long, the dialogue is too on the nose, and it's totally unable to effectively present the thematic depth it's aiming for.

Season of the Witch - This is pretty terrible.  A couple of OK fight scenes and decent make-up effects are about the only things it has going for it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2024, 11:46:33 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2453 on: July 06, 2024, 09:11:03 am »
"The last movie I saw was Spider-Man: Through the Spider-Verse. I was absolutely thrilled with the animation and the story. The visual effects were amazing and the way they continued the story of Miles Morales was just incredible. This is a must-see movie for any animation and superhero fan. The mix of different art styles and unique plot twists kept me in suspense from start to finish. If you're looking for something new or want to check out other great movies and series, I highly recommend checking out https://123movies-safe.net/. They have a huge collection of movies and anime that you can watch for free. This is my favorite site when I'm in the mood to have a movie night or find a good anime to watch.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2024, 05:49:38 am by vicecrufoli »

« Reply #2454 on: July 06, 2024, 03:51:19 pm »
Grumpier Old Men - A comedy sequel up and down. Rehashed jokes, rehashed plots, a new character, regression of character development.  Not quite as good as the previous.

Singin' in the Rain - I don't think I've seen this in over 20 years.  I loved it back then, and I still love it today.  Funnier and more self-aware than I remembered.  Just a magnificent picture.

Maxxxine - This was amping up to be my favorite of the trilogy (flaws and all), but it comes dangerously close to falling apart completely in the last act.

Volcano - I watched this a bunch in the late 90s... well the first half, anyway.  It's big loud, cheesy, and kinda fun. The biggest problem is that it peaks way too early. Stick that John Carroll Lynch scene 20-30 minutes later and this is better movie for it.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 07:00:17 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2455 on: July 09, 2024, 03:57:04 am »
Deepwater Horizon - Random watch, had a mood to watch something different than what I have been lately, and been meaning to watch this, not for any particular reason, I think oil rig type settings are interesting, kinda feeds into the unsettling nature of deep water (no pun intended) settings for me, Abyss, Underwater, all sorts of that type of stuff, though this being a very real disaster, it was an interesting watch. 

Really intense drama to it, the effects were wild, I see where all that money I read about them spending on the movie went, a budget much higher than these movies usually get, because it shows, everything from the beginning of the blowout, to the actual explosive destruction, and following collapse was wild.  I think it also does a good job of showing the tragedy without being...exploitive about what happens.  Sorta see that in war movies where deaths of the characters get lingered on.  Story accuracy seems fine enough, I like to look at wikipedia after movies like this to see reception and generally accuracy, but it seems they did okay, though there were liberties taken for the sake of cinematic drama.  That's sometimes questionable, but the things changed didn't seem too egregious.

« Reply #2456 on: July 13, 2024, 09:12:19 pm »
Ninja III: The Domination - A new 80s camp favorite.  This movie hates cops and knows how to milk a shoestring budget. I wish it was bit more explicitly violent, and the lead actress's performance was a little more lively it'd be flat out great.

The Beekeeper - I can't tell how self-aware this is, but that's why it's actually so good.

Passenger 57 - Very sturdy low budget actioner anchored by a very game Wesley Snipes. Fun quips, ok action, killer pacing. Worth checking out.

Longlegs - I didn't really connect with this beyond one or two sequences.  I'm glad it seems to be working for people, but I found it almost devoid of atmosphere and tension.  Lambs or Zodiac it is not.

Twister - Fun disaster movie effects, and the pace moves at a clip.  Can't ask for much more than that.

The Fugitive - One of the most rewatchable movies of all time.

Horizon: An American Saga - Chapter 1 - There's a lot to love here, but it has maybe one too many story threads going and the writing stumbles in a couple of places and those things keep it in the pretty good range, instead of the really great range.  I'm definitely game for the next chapter.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2024, 12:12:32 am by Cartagia »

« Reply #2457 on: July 17, 2024, 03:56:14 am »
I enjoyed Despicable Me 4 a lot. I have not seen any of the other movies yet but now I want to. The variety of locations and background detail really stand out. I'm surprised the movie didn't have any product placement given all the scenes where it could have easily fit in. The only real world thing I noticed was a BTS (the K-pop group) Samsung phone but it wasn't actually the Samsung phone so seemed like it was more of a subtle joke or character development.

« Reply #2458 on: July 17, 2024, 09:29:06 pm »
White Sands - It's got a killer cast and the vibes are pretty decent, but this just a flat, uneventful, not at all tense crime caper.

Bad Boys: Ride or Die - It's definitely fun, but it leans to much into the the silly Marcus stuff when it should have done more with the themes of redemption and family / legacy.  It's got a cool visual style, and the action is kinetic, even if the choreography is kinda meh.

Kung Fu Killer - The concept is strong and the action sequences are all very good, but the script is dumb as hell and it looks incredibly cheap.

Poseidon - Terrible script with absolutely no real characters, just meat to feed the grinder.  It is however, mean as hell for a PG-13 movie, has some killer setpieces, and is a breezy 90ish minutes.

Twisters - Sorry, I just cannot jive how catastrophically stupid this script is with how over melodramatic and deadly seriously it takes everything.  Sure, Glen is great and the setpieces are fine, but I spent more time laughing at it than with it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2024, 02:15:24 pm by Cartagia »

« Reply #2459 on: July 23, 2024, 01:24:24 am »
Deadpool 1 and 2 - With the new movie coming out, figured I'd rewatch the first two movies.  They are still some dumb fun action flicks.  Over the top, absurd, a little awkward and cringe at times, but I still find them to be fun.  I'm not super amped for the new movie, I think they got abit desperate with the marketing, showed way too much without me trying to see it, kind of a big misstep there, though it'll probably be some good fun at the least and I'm cool with one more Hugh Jackman romp as Wolverine as long as this is truly the last time with him lol

The Marvels - Figured I'd keep the Marvel kick going by watching the only movie I haven't seen yet, because it's characters I don't find particularly interesting.  About what I expected, kind of a middling movie, nothing particularly bad, not much that stood out to me.  The one thing I did like was the early fight scene, it had the right amount of chaotic energy to it and was actually kinda fun.  The rest was just...fine, it's certainly not the worst of the Marvel movies as there's a few I would put below this one, particularly Black Widow, The Eternals, and Thor: Love and Thunder. 

I do feel like the movie is kinda weighted in favor of Danvers and Rambeau, with Kamala being more of the third wheel of the story. They try to inject her side of things more with her family being involved throughout, it involving the other bracer of hers, but it's Danvers and Rambeau doing most of the important stuff.  Oh well, all caught up with all the Marvel stuff other than when Deadpool/Wolverine comes out...oh shoot, no, still need to check out Loki Season 2 and What If Season 2 lol...Well, almost caught up.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2024, 03:34:59 am by kamikazekeeg »