Author Topic: April 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/ Recently Purchased  (Read 20553 times)

soera

Re: April 2013 - Recently Added to Collection/ Recently Purchased
« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2013, 02:51:03 pm »
If the screen lights up but the games wont start, you may want to replace the connector. Could just be a really dirty pin in there.

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2013, 03:04:38 pm »
If the screen lights up but the games wont start, you may want to replace the connector. Could just be a really dirty pin in there.

Try taking a credit card and wrapping a thin cloth around it
(nothing that will break up into small bits though, try a soft cloth like you get with your phone screen protectors)
with a tiny bit of alcohol on it and insert it into the pin connector and move it up and down.
It worked for me a few times with numerous systems.
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

htimreimer

« Reply #167 on: April 26, 2013, 04:35:03 pm »
I bet that NES will work. It takes a lot to break those things. Best bet is to get one of the star bits for the consoles, open it up and give that thing a good cleaning. Also maybe swap out to a new 72 pin connector.

Well, the NES is already opened. It came out of the box in two pieces. The TV screen lights up, it just won't actually play the games when it is plugged in.
the NES biggest downfall is its pin connector, i always recommend that you replacing the pin connector when you buy a NES because those things are not made to last. the NES is built like a tank but the pin connector is not.

« Reply #168 on: April 26, 2013, 04:38:44 pm »
Just ordered a Sega Saturn Memory Card Plus for $10 free shipping!
I can finally save my games without the worry of them being erased!
What import games should I pick up?
I make music.
I'm really cool, you should tell your friends about me :P

https://soundcloud.com/torvez

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #169 on: April 26, 2013, 05:14:02 pm »
I bet that NES will work. It takes a lot to break those things. Best bet is to get one of the star bits for the consoles, open it up and give that thing a good cleaning. Also maybe swap out to a new 72 pin connector.

Well, the NES is already opened. It came out of the box in two pieces. The TV screen lights up, it just won't actually play the games when it is plugged in.
the NES biggest downfall is its pin connector, i always recommend that you replacing the pin connector when you buy a NES because those things are not made to last. the NES is built like a tank but the pin connector is not.

I don't know about "built like a tank". You bump those things or the shelf they're on and you're game is pretty likely to reset or start blinking.

scott

« Reply #170 on: April 26, 2013, 05:22:41 pm »

I don't know about "built like a tank". You bump those things or the shelf they're on and you're game is pretty likely to reset or start blinking.

I killed my cousin's save file for Destiny of an Emperor when we were kids, just from hopped off of my bunk bed. The game started blinking and we loaded the game back up and no save file. It was a sad day.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #171 on: April 26, 2013, 05:30:36 pm »

I killed my cousin's save file for Destiny of an Emperor when we were kids, just from hopped off of my bunk bed. The game started blinking and we loaded the game back up and no save file. It was a sad day.

That's a tragic save file loss as a kid.  :(
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

scott

« Reply #172 on: April 26, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »
He didn't touch the game for like 2 years after that either.

soera

« Reply #173 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:19 pm »
Hopefully he did return to playing it! That game is a shining star in the NES library.

htimreimer

« Reply #174 on: April 26, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

like i said the pin connector was not built like a tank, it both poorly thought out and designed and that's why the slightest bump would cause it to start blinking or even reset the game, everything else was built like a tank

scott

« Reply #175 on: April 26, 2013, 07:16:36 pm »
Hopefully he did return to playing it! That game is a shining star in the NES library.

Ya he did. And eventually I tracked down my own copy too.

desocietas

« Reply #176 on: April 26, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
I just walked out of Gamestop with the following for $45:

- Rhythm Heaven Feaver (Wii)
- Eternal Sonata (PS3)
- Super Paper Mario (Wii)
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (PSP)

Some of them might not be worth it for the price I paid (new doesn't go for much more for some of them), but I figured I could always swap something out this weekend if I came across something better in another GS.  Just had a B2G1 coupon I wanted to use, and they have a little sale going on right now through Sunday.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

scott

« Reply #177 on: April 26, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
I thought you already had Tactics Ogre?

desocietas

« Reply #178 on: April 26, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »
I thought you already had Tactics Ogre?

I did - ironically, this was probably the same copy I bought before then returned in a previous sale...  :P

It's about the same price for new on Amazon, so I might swap it out for something else this weekend if I find something else.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

sin2beta

« Reply #179 on: April 26, 2013, 08:57:29 pm »
Picked up Phantasy Star. Despite it being tied with Shenmue for my favorite game I have never owned it. At least, I've never owned the original SMS. I've played emulators and sonic's ultimate genesis collection and the phantasy star collection versions. I've just never owned a master system before.

This brings me to my other pickup... a master system. This pickup was inspired by a trade with SlothingXPIG. I have never owned a SMS before. But I decided to drive down to Thrillhouse and pick one up. I was shocked by how beautiful the SMS is in person. Pictures make them look so so. But in person, the SMS might be the best looking system I have seen.

I found this classic description of a master system on the Segabits forum by user Centrale

I love the Sega Master System.  Slick and sophisticated, its clean lines and crisp colors suggest an elegant lady assassin ridin' dirty on corinthian leather seats to a ballroom in order to eliminate the latest target.  It's got a flow chart printed on it that lets you know how the shit goes down on a day-to-day.  Its color scheme: black and red, the colors of a brotherman on the run.  It says to me, "fun is serious business."

8)

It's the last SEGA system I need unless I go crazy and start with variations or pick up an SG 1000 or SC 3000.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c