Author Topic: New XBox Reveal on May 21  (Read 28397 times)

htimreimer

Re: New XBox Reveal on May 21
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2013, 11:23:27 pm »
you know, i understand why companies like ea and microsoft are shoving DRM down are throat, its because there losing money on games and the reason why there losing money is not because of piracy or used games, it the fact they are spending too much money on graphics, cutscenes and story. there trying to turn the gaming industry in to hollywood and they don't seem to see that it will never be hollywood but they don't want to hear that, so they blame it on piracy, game rentals and used games and continue to spend way to much on games
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:30:24 pm by htimreimer »

scott

« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2013, 11:48:41 pm »
Story is just as important as gameplay. Its not the days of 30 min long platformers and puzzle games anymore.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

jobocan

« Reply #212 on: June 11, 2013, 12:12:51 am »
Story is just as important as gameplay. Its not the days of 30 min long platformers and puzzle games anymore.

I'll say it this way: if the gameplay isn't good, the story doesn't matter a single bit. Yes story has relevance and by theming properly can impact the gameplay positively, but the story only matters if the game is fun to play.

sin2beta

« Reply #213 on: June 11, 2013, 12:15:30 am »

I am definitely an old fogey (the insanely old age of 26) but part of me just wants a game with two dinosaurs beating each other up.

But the movie video games are the natural progression. And they are damn good. I've said it before, but Final Fantasy 13 is one of my favorite movies.

And honestly, EA and other publishers are probably losing money. let's try some back of the envelope calculations and try to Carl Sagan this mother. The fact that they made 15 million from online passes in its first year means that at least 1.5 million used purchases were made of their games. What fraction of those people would buy it new if not for used games? Let's say one-fifth. Seems reasonable to me. Now the game would not cost $50 for all of those purchases. But let's assume an average of $35. This is the midpoint of $20 and $50. That means possible lost sales are somewhere around 35 * .3 million = 10.5 million. This is also not counting the people who would purchase a game who did not buy online passes. So, that 10.5 million is probably low. It also doesn't count forces in the other direction. New games are usually purchased with seemingly artificial money from trade ins. This creates a rather fascinating economy existing only in gaming... but I don't imagine this force being too powerful.

The bottom line is, they are losing some money through used games. But that is part of the business. And sometimes you can alter yourself out of the business itself if you try to control the invisible hand of economics too much.

EDIT: I find it interesting that my low-end figure of 10.5 million is at the low-end of EAs range of 10-15 million sales. This makes me think that the person at EA doing cost analysis actually did the cost analysis and did not just say $10 per pass randomly. It also makes the mathematician in me happy. Thank you Fermi, Feynman, and Sagan!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 12:24:46 am by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

htimreimer

« Reply #214 on: June 11, 2013, 01:11:48 am »
But the movie video games are the natural progression. And they are damn good. I've said it before, but Final Fantasy 13 is one of my favorite movies.

i have to disagree with you on natural progression of games, i'm not a fan of the story of skyrim but the way they integrated the story in gameplay was perfect and a great example on how it should done. you learn about the world and people that live in the world through books and notes, you talk to people and you learn about them and the world  and not like they cant do this, we see bookcases,desks,boxes
and other items through out games. if i wanted a movie, i would watch a movie. if i wanted game, i would like it to tell the story by using its environment

foxhack

« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:15 pm »
MICROSOFT IS DONE

IT'S FUCKING DONE

Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions. See game package and/or retailer product information, for each game’s specific geographic regions.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/pre-order-xbox-one/disclaimer

THEY MADE THE KOOL-AID AND DRANK IT THEMSELVES

scott

« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »
Wow. That is fucking retarded!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

sin2beta

« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »
I assume from reading that just means it is region locked. But it seems it also means, I can't take my american console to Japan for a semester abroad or such. Honestly, a lot of the language seems purposefully vague.

I'd agree that the XBoxOne is probably going to have a Sega Saturn esque life span. I assume it will last longer than the virtual boy... but who knows. I say two years.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »
I assume from reading that just means it is region locked. But it seems it also means, I can't take my american console to Japan for a semester abroad or such. Honestly, a lot of the language seems purposefully vague.

I'd agree that the XBoxOne is probably going to have a Sega Saturn esque life span. I assume it will last longer than the virtual boy... but who knows. I say two years.

Microsoft has a history of continually pushing things that don't work. Zune, Windows 7, etc.; and they have the money to keep pushing. I have a feeling we'll be seeing Xbox One for even longer than 2 years, even though it should die before that.

pacpix

« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2013, 04:32:31 pm »

Microsoft has a history of continually pushing things that don't work. Zune, Windows 7, etc.; and they have the money to keep pushing. I have a feeling we'll be seeing Xbox One for even longer than 2 years, even though it should die before that.
I think Windows 7 is a nice operating system.  What do you not like about it?
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2013, 04:49:50 pm »

I think Windows 7 is a nice operating system.  What do you not like about it?

It's incompatible with sooooo much stuff. And Internet Explorer loves to crash on it. I was forced to move to FireFox because of it.

Not that Windows 8 is any better with either problem, though.

foxhack

« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2013, 04:50:21 pm »
Windows 7
You seem to have mistyped Windows 8.

sin2beta

« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2013, 06:46:09 pm »
Next person to get fired from Microsoft???

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/22/4355984/xbox-one-backward-compatibility-backwards-thinking-don-mattrick

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/12/gamers-without-internet-can-stick-with-xbox-360-says-microsoft?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

I don't think they'll get fired for this. These definitely seem aimed at press a bit more than just getting in a twitter war and creating a spectacle for fans. But this does show a lot of the attitude that Microsoft has.

Now they may get fired when Microsoft closes the XBox line, or at least downsizes it dramatically.

jobocan

« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2013, 07:12:28 pm »
So the Best Buy event to play Wii U games is stupid. At least at my Best Buy.

There's one demo unit, and you had to sign in to play a game, and if you get in an hour late because you were working (see: like me) then you can't play games at all.

Good preview event, making sure no one can play.

.... at least the games were pretty, especially Mario Kart.