Author Topic: DVD and VHS categories?  (Read 1193 times)

mudkip25

DVD and VHS categories?
« on: April 30, 2013, 12:21:44 am »
I was planning on adding a Pokemon VHS to the "Swag - Promo Videos/ Movies" category but it seemed kind of cluttered. May I suggest splitting it up? Swag - DVD, Swag - VHS, Swag - Blu-Ray, or something like that.
Tiro Finale!

scott

Re: DVD and VHS categories?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 08:49:54 am »
Hmm. Sounds like a good idea to me.

What's everyone else think?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 09:20:27 am »
I don't have any problem at all w/ this kind of stuff being included in our "Swag" category -but- I do think that we need to draw a line *somewhere* concerning how many different "Swag-SUB-Categories" we're going to be willing to add...otherwise...with all of the different items & different types of merchandise that can make the case to be, at least, tangentially-related to video gaming...Well..."Slippery-Slope" - and all that  :-\

IMHO, I think that we need to have some point where a line is drawn -and- the more obscure categories that fall into our "Swag" category...will just need to be listed/indicated as:

"Swag"

"Other"

(*Description/Explanation in "notes"*)

As always, just my 2 cents  ;)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

tpugmire

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 10:48:38 am »
If anything, it should probably be left as "Swag - Videos" or something like that. No need for separate VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc categories.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 11:55:36 am »
Ya, If we leave it be, we should rename it. Unfortunately, I don't have the power to modify titles. :(

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
If anything, it should probably be left as "Swag - Videos" or something like that. No need for separate VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc categories.

No need? Really? Because as a collector, the definition between a DVD, VHS, LaserDisc, and VideoDisc are a HUGE deal. Just look at the differences between Star Wars films alone. And those differences in value and video quality apply all across the board, not just for Star Wars.

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:33 pm »
I agree, splitting up merch in many categories is a good idea. ;D burningdoom hit the nail on the head with that one.

brunauss

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 01:29:20 pm »
This may or may not relate to this thread. What about those of us who have the Dragon's Lair trilogy that isn't on the other 20+ published platforms, but actually published on a DVD disc that goes into a DVD player. Before someone mentions it can be filed under PC, lets be clear there were indeed two distinct formats published and optimized for both PC and DVD players.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

scott

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 02:20:19 pm »
Since our stance with games has been to list each variation of each title as their own listing. Which makes it seem that each type of video swag might possibly then need to be it's own subcat of Swag. It's confusing on how to handle it and the problem with Swag has always been that it's a cluttered mess. We tried just listing everything under "Swag" in the beginning and it was a giant cluster. Now we have tried organizing it into different types of swag listed and it's slightly more managable, but now we have a problem of how videos work.

We did draw a line at one point, saying that we should only worry about licensed merchandise, and not about unlicensed stuff. So we don't end up with a bunch of vaguely related shirts, mugs, pins etc in the database. So the only swag that should be listed in the database, should be legit, licensed merch, pre-order bonuses, etc. I'm still not sure how to handle documentary type videos.

We deal with many types of collectors here, some only list their games, some list everything, some won't list digital games and stay with physical only. And, since we deal with many types of collectors, we have some users that love having everything listed separate and some that want it all glommed into one list. Everyone has no doubt noticed that some folks ask about how to list quantity of each title, while others like that we list each game in our collections as an individual listing. There isn't really a happy medium, unfortunately.

Things like this aren't something we do lightly, and that's why I'd like to see everyone's opinions on it. If there is enough call for it, then we'll split up VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray etc. But, we aren't a movie database either and should only be listing video game related videos.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 03:23:48 pm »
This may or may not relate to this thread. What about those of us who have the Dragon's Lair trilogy that isn't on the other 20+ published platforms, but actually published on a DVD disc that goes into a DVD player. Before someone mentions it can be filed under PC, lets be clear there were indeed two distinct formats published and optimized for both PC and DVD players.

http://vgcollect.com/foxhack/other

I've been adding my DVD-Video games to Other. Though there should be a separate DVD Game category (not for DVD Board Games, that's another thing altogether.) We have the Action Max, and that thing used VHS tapes, so...

brunauss

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 08:32:57 pm »

http://vgcollect.com/foxhack/other

I've been adding my DVD-Video games to Other. Though there should be a separate DVD Game category (not for DVD Board Games, that's another thing altogether.) We have the Action Max, and that thing used VHS tapes, so...

So I am not the only one to consider "Other" an option. Continuing to be my VGcollect Guardian Angel. Oh I'm adding those remaining 20+ titles, that were a problem last week for me, these next 2-3 days. Thought I give you a heads-up.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:15:54 pm »
So when these categories are added, will the stuff we have in our collection under "Swag - Other" that's DVD or VHS automatically be moved to the new categories?

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:39 pm »
So when these categories are added, will the stuff we have in our collection under "Swag - Other" that's DVD or VHS automatically be moved to the new categories?
Not automatically, no. The change has to be done manually, just like all the other times we've had items in one category moved to another (system hardware, magazines, music, etc.)