Author Topic: Gamestop to stop taking PS2 trades  (Read 2965 times)

desocietas

Gamestop to stop taking PS2 trades
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »
http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/06/gamestop-ps2-trade-in-not-accepted/

Time to start picking up any scraps they might have left... I'm also looking forward to seeing if there's a big jump in inventory this month!  Doubtful, but I can hope...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

Re: Gamestop to stop taking PS2 trades
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 01:29:23 pm »
My local one only has sports games. In sleeves. Feh.

ko1ru

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 01:39:05 pm »
I was in a GameStop over the weekend that was out of town, and the manager mentioned this to me.  My GameStop stopped taking PS2 trades quite a while ago, but this will eliminate their PS2 selection altogether.  If your GameStop has anything worthwhile, get while the getting's good!

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:06:58 pm »
I might go in to stock up on memory cards and other accessories.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:11:45 pm »
If anyone actually does still trade in they're PS2 games at this point, they're morons. What would they get, like a $1? No game is worth losing for that little.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:46:56 pm »
I was in a GameStop over the weekend that was out of town, and the manager mentioned this to me.  My GameStop stopped taking PS2 trades quite a while ago.  If your GameStop has anything worthwhile, get while the getting's good!

Same here.

About a year ago, my local GS stores went "List Only" on all of their PS2 games = *Nothing* PS2 was out on the floor any more/it was all in the back of the stockroom...AND...there was nothing but a (not very specific and/or accurate) list of ~1,000 PS2 games...w/ no descriptions of what was c.i.b., disc only, no manual, etc.

If anyone actually does still trade in they're PS2 games at this point, they're morons. What would they get, like a $1? No game is worth losing for that little.

This, too...really - I can't remember the last time that I saw anyone selling any PS2 games at ANY stores.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:53:42 pm by disgaeniac »
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

soera

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:50:22 pm »
It has to be more intelligent than the people that give them to the goodwill. For all the people that say you get a tax write off, you dont. They will not give you any receipt of any kind. You may say that they are doing good for the community but they dont. They charge ebay prices on their stuff and none of it really goes back to the people, it goes to the corporate office. And, sadly, at least Gamestop gives you a dollar instead of the nothing you get from the thrift stores.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 05:02:54 pm »
It has to be more intelligent than the people that give them to the goodwill. For all the people that say you get a tax write off, you dont. They will not give you any receipt of any kind. You may say that they are doing good for the community but they dont. They charge ebay prices on their stuff and none of it really goes back to the people, it goes to the corporate office. And, sadly, at least Gamestop gives you a dollar instead of the nothing you get from the thrift stores.

Wow, that sucks.

My Goodwill doesn't. All cartridge games are $3, and DVD-sized case (PS2, Gamecube, Wii, etc) games are $5.99, and all CD-sized case games (PC, PS1, Dreamcast) are $3.99.

For the last year I've been stocking up, especially on PS1 games at my local Goodwill.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 07:18:45 pm »
Last year we took a ton of The Boy's clothes and toys to Goodwill and the Women's Shelter thrift store here in town. We got receipts and a healthy tax deduction.    ;D

desocietas

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 07:35:29 pm »
Not all my GSs have PS2 games, but I'm lucky that the one I go to the most does.  And I mean to go down to Southern California this summer and hopefully swoop up a few items down there in one of their bigger shops.

About a year ago, my local GS stores went "List Only" on all of their PS2 games = *Nothing* PS2 was out on the floor any more/it was all in the back of the stockroom...AND...there was nothing but a (not very specific and/or accurate) list of ~1,000 PS2 games...w/ no descriptions of what was c.i.b., disc only, no manual, etc.

One of the shops has this same deal with their Gamecube games, pointing me to this overly large touchscreen where I can "browse" all the Gamecube items they have available... somewhere.  I asked if there was any way to check condition, and they said "no."

I gave up as soon as I heard that.  I'd be happy to go through that whole catalog and buy stuff if I could see or even read what kind of condition those games were in...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 09:26:01 pm »
Last time I saw ps2 games at a gamestop I was lucky because it was the "last of the stock for that store" and they were going to be shipped to a different store. only one title caught my interest though and that was Soul Reaver 2 surprisingly complete for $2

scott

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 09:42:15 pm »
I don't think any of the GameStops in my area have had PS2 games in a long time. Shame too, it was pretty much the last system I was going there for, other than PSP games.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2013, 10:15:17 pm »
I don't think any of the GameStops in my area have had PS2 games in a long time. Shame too, it was pretty much the last system I was going there for, other than PSP games.
speaking of the PSP I haven't seen that stuff there since before the Vita was out

desocietas

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 10:21:32 pm »
speaking of the PSP I haven't seen that stuff there since before the Vita was out

That had removed all the PSP stuff from my local store but then they showed back up a week later, ha.  I guess it was temporary, but I expect them to be gone any day now.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 10:41:56 pm »
It just blows my mind that there are game stores that refuse to sell older games. It blows my mind even more that Gamestop, a store revolving almost entirely around used game trade-ins and sales, would do such a thing. Much less for one of the most popular consoles of all time. Never made a lick of sense to me.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.