Author Topic: Putting a price tag on your collection  (Read 2243 times)

blipcs76

Putting a price tag on your collection
« on: May 09, 2013, 04:11:56 pm »
I recently priced (almost) everything in my collection for two reasons:

1. Curiosity
2. Insurance value

My method for pricing my collection was using the prices I found at videogames.pricecharting.com to get the value estimates of loose carts and modern games.  For complete games I used a rough average of recently sold auctions on eBay.  I entered everything into a spreadsheed, which keeps everything nice and tidy as well as letting me update values easily.

Anyone else compiled a list of the values of games/consoles/merch in their collection?  I'm curious of other methods we might use to come to accurate valuations of our collections.  What about swag and collectibles?  Those items seem like they could be much more difficult to pin accurate values on.

desocietas

Re: Putting a price tag on your collection
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 04:53:37 pm »
I'm really glad you asked about this because that's one of my summer projects.  I have to renew my renters insurance policy and would like to keep better records of the worth of my possessions, take pictures of them, and organize them better.

I hadn't figured out a good way to determine "replacement value" easily, but what you suggested sounds a lot like what I might've done.  I guess the best way for me would be to go by the venues I'd go through to repurchase these items should they *knock on wood* be destroyed/stolen.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

blipcs76

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 05:15:52 pm »
I put the spreadsheet on Google Drive, which makes it easy to edit regardless if I'm at home or at work, and since its online, if there was a fire/tornado/alien invasion, I'd have records online to verify my collection.  I do need to take more extensive photos of my collection though.  It's hard to verify a lot of titles based on wide shots of my 'game room.'

scott

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:01:33 pm »
I've thought about doing just this. But at the same time, I put it off because it's a lot of work. ha

I might get around to doing it eventually though....
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »
I just blanketed mine with a rider on my home insurance policy. It was cheaper that way and covers more than I currently need to replace everything (considering it's an ever-growing collection).

thomascozine

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:24:36 pm »
I actually did this back in November. I averaged out what my games were actually selling for on eBay (By which I mean I only looked at the sold listings) and what I'd be willing to sell them for if I were to.

This is what I got at the time:
Nintendo DS: $106.70
GameBoy Advance: $23.68
GameBoy Color: $6
Nintendo Wii: $599.74
3DO: $104.82 (iffy as I could not find pricing on most the sample discs I have)
Nintendo GameBoy: $103.71
Atari 2600: $40.16
Odyssey2: $2.98
Intellivision: $179.61
Sega 32X: $124.83
Sega GameGear : $52.14
Virtual Boy: $154.54
Playstation 2: $26.96
Playstation 1: $114.65
Original Xbox: $156.73
Sega Saturn: $171.19
Sega Dreamcast: $208.78
CD-i: $210.96
Turbografx-16: $67.50
Nintendo GameCube: $441.19
Nintendo 64: $352.81
SNES: $736.24
Genesis: $1,139.78
NES: $1,157

Total $6,282.70

But, of course, I have gotten a lot more games since and these are very subjective numbers. I'm not gonna claim this is the real value. But it was fun to do.

desocietas

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:39 pm »
I've thought about doing just this. But at the same time, I put it off because it's a lot of work. ha

I might get around to doing it eventually though....

Perfect time if you're working on your game room!
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

haloofthesun

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »
I recently priced (almost) everything in my collection for two reasons:

1. Curiosity
2. Insurance value

My method for pricing my collection was using the prices I found at videogames.pricecharting.com to get the value estimates of loose carts and modern games.  For complete games I used a rough average of recently sold auctions on eBay.  I entered everything into a spreadsheed, which keeps everything nice and tidy as well as letting me update values easily.

Anyone else compiled a list of the values of games/consoles/merch in their collection?  I'm curious of other methods we might use to come to accurate valuations of our collections.  What about swag and collectibles?  Those items seem like they could be much more difficult to pin accurate values on.

I did mine pretty much the same way, using the same website even, for renter's insurance. I have no intention of selling anything from my collection, so it's all replacement value rather than what I would try to sell them for, so for the few repro carts I have, I just use the price I paid for them as their "value", even though if I sold them they wouldn't fetch that much. Likewise with the archival universal media cases I use for my NES and SNES games. And then I keep a copy of the spreadsheet online just in case. I still have to take some pictures sometime, though.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:34:58 am »
I just blanketed mine with a rider on my home insurance policy. It was cheaper that way and covers more than I currently need to replace everything (considering it's an ever-growing collection).
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

brunauss

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:20:44 pm »

I found it to be the best option as well, for a ever growing collection.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 05:53:26 pm »

I found it to be the best option as well, for a ever growing collection.

I'll have to check my contract to see if that's the case with mine.  I think it is, but the documenting helps with showing them I'm not committing insurance fraud should anything happen to them (I think)...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 05:26:35 am »
this is a lot of work :-[ lol I don't even have that much and I do... there was an app on the phone that would estimate your collection.. but it was only for nes and snes. it was fairly accurate. kinda cool in a way but there should be something for all... like the chart pricing but you enter all that you own or something.
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 08:50:40 am »

We've got a similar policy here - home insurance covers £XX,000 worth of personal possessions, £X00 worth of mobile phones, £X00 worth of food (in case the fridge breaks down and everything spoils), etc. I forget the exact amounts but basically it means that I don't have to worry about individually valuing everything we own, because it's all covered anyway :)