Author Topic: What do you HATE about collecting?  (Read 9536 times)

hexen

Re: What do you HATE about collecting?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 02:56:47 am »
I don't mind stickers, sometimes they add character.  That character lets you know they've been unloved.  They've been traded around like a drug addict, from halfway house to halfway house.  They've done time in an unsafe retail environment.  They have been in a bin with others of their kind.

I tend to agree with this in some cases. The smaller, family owned places with small, un-obnoxious but interesting stickers are usually pretty cool. One of my games has a little sticker on it from a place called The Pharaoh Shop, which is an Egyptian king that I find quite cool.

Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 05:46:47 am »
Actually, yeah. I hate stickers as well. Especially EB's. One on the front, fine. One on the back, okay. One on the spine - on the actual insert? You stupid bastards. One on the disc?! Hell, my pre-owned Valkyria Chronicles has "P.O." written on it in sharpie. Argh!

darko

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 03:58:41 pm »

Also marker writing bothers me although mr. Clean magic eraser works like a charm

Oh, ill try this. I have a few games that I picked up used, my LoZ: link to the past is horrible, marker everywhere.

Just be careful on how much you use it. It is sandpaper. If you use it too much you'll rub off the texture on the cart.

jobocan

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 04:24:39 pm »
I don't mind stickers, sometimes they add character.  That character lets you know they've been unloved.  They've been traded around like a drug addict, from halfway house to halfway house.  They've done time in an unsafe retail environment.  They have been in a bin with others of their kind.  

A game without stickers, with a decent label has a better chance of having been in the hands of a caring collector or at least shelved somewhere safe.

I also don't mind stickers actually. Or writing. For one, they enable me to get the games cheaper, and I don't display my games in a way that let you see the stickers or writing anyways. As long as the sticker isn't covering too much of the label, or the end-label, I'm perfectly fine with them. What's important to me is that the game works.

htimreimer

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2011, 09:59:41 am »
I have two things i hate about collecting

(1)Cleaning the games and video game consoles (inside and out) i think the best example of this is nes games their are so many ways to clean them it gets confusing and tell me why did the two of the consoles i clean had a dead spider in it

(2)All the different connections that old consoles like the odyssey 2 its so annoying i have to buy an adapter to play it

scott

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:15:14 am »
tell me why did the two of the consoles i clean had a dead spider in it

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy cleaning an old SNES and it had cockroaches inside. eewwwww

Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

darko

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2011, 01:07:05 pm »
tell me why did the two of the consoles i clean had a dead spider in it

I saw a video on YouTube of a guy cleaning an old SNES and it had cockroaches inside. eewwwww

I can beat that. I have a clear Gameboy from which I had to remove what appeared to be a toe nail clipping. It was inside the case resting on the speaker.  

byron

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »
I really enjoy cleaning games and systems. I love to take them apart and dust all their little crevices with a toothbrush.. I'm weird, aren't I?

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 08:33:23 pm »

*cries* ah... whyyy.  now i'm going to be worried about my older consoles and what terrible insides they might have.  i heard cockroaches love things like stamp glue, so something like the inside of plastic consoles must have little treats for them.

I can beat that. I have a clear Gameboy from which I had to remove what appeared to be a toe nail clipping. It was inside the case resting on the speaker.  

*cries some more* reminds me of all the gross things I'd see in the apple keyboards at school back when we had the ones with the clear cases...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

tpugmire

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 09:00:28 am »
This is why I completely disassemble and clean every piece of hardware I get.  Cartridge games get the same treatment if I can get them open without destroying the labels.  Controllers are by far the grossest things I have come across.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

scott

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:32 am »
Years ago I bought a used original Game Boy so I could scavenge the screen off of it, to replace mine which was failing. When I tore it apart, all the buttons had a yellowish brown grime that resembled ear wax on them. It was all inside the case, so I'm not sure what it was and it looked pristine on the outside. I gagged so much when cleaning the buttons, etc. I got it for $10 with a game, so it was a cheap but gross repair.

htimreimer

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2011, 05:27:37 am »

Controllers are by far the grossest things I have come across.

Controllers are gross,  i opened up one of my Odyssey 2 controller and what i found was something orange that i think was food at one point

scott

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 05:30:50 pm »
Interestingly, I tore down all 4 of my nes controllers and they were all pristine. Never cracked open my Saturn controllers though. But one of my 3d controllers is super grungy.

htimreimer

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 02:08:39 am »
But one of my 3d controllers is super grungy.

that  controller you really should clean it

scott

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »
Ya... it's stashed away in a box somewhere, I never use either of my 3D controllers. Maybe one day. ha