Author Topic: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?  (Read 19867 times)

Re: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2013, 02:21:58 pm »
I've got 5 games at the moment and apparently Amazon didn't get Need for Speed so that'll be next week hopefully.

I am rather enjoying myself so far. First game I fired up was Knack. Went in with low expectations but also I only ever expected it to be a simple launch game. I ended up enjoying it more then I expected to. It's basically just like a Crash Bandicoot sort of game. And it's oddly difficult sometimes.

Played some Resogun which is pretty cool and some sweet music. I suck at these kinds of games but eventually I completed it on Rookie.

Next I tried out some Killzone and after waiting for all the boring story intro stuff I got to some shooty parts. Game looks impressive but I wasn't in the right mindset to be playing a shooter at that moment. I'll come back to it today maybe.

Played that Contrast game for like 15 mins. Seemed weird and neat. Wasn't really feeling it though and maybe I'll come back to it.

Popped Lego Marvel Super Heroes in next. Man these Lego games are always so damn charming and cute. Played it for awhile and will do more today.

Before going to bed I popped in Assassin's Creed 4. Ended up looking better than I expected. I'll definitely play it more today.

Also got FIFA14 for free on one of the deals so I haven't tried that out yet. I'm not a sports person and never buy these kinds of games but we'll see. I might have fun dicking around in it.

And then NFS I'm looking forward to so that could be good next week.

My biggest and only real complaint so far is the main system interface itself. I didn't think the PS3 one was bad and it worked fine for me. I feel like there is a lack of organization to the menu. I like something fairly minimalistic. I want there to be a Games tab where all game stuff goes and it is always the default tab the system starts on and it's always at the "front" of the menu per say. I want to be able to make sub menus/folders. So on PS3, under Games, I had a folder for Arcade (all the small download arcade-like PSN games), a folder for Demos (any demo went here. I still have the Gran Turismo HD Concept one which can't be downloaded these days), a folder for Free Games (any games I got for Free from PS+) etc. Also had my Video menu listed similarly with folders for TV, Comedy, Movies etc. As it seems to be now on PS4, it adds a menu option for every game you play onto the main cross media bar thing. Mine is already overcrowded and I don't like it. The "What's New" is the default and first menu tab, seems neat but I don't really need it, at least at the front.

Less serious is I liked the UI customization on the PS3. How you could change colors of the background and stuff. Changing "Themes" was pretty cool as well.

In the end I'm hopeful they'll patch this kind of stuff in with firmware updates. I'm glad I got the system and I haven't had any real problems with it so far. Commence PS4 Day 2.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
So...it's official!

Received my PS4 yesterday -and- purchased my 1st game for it today ("Knack").
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

teck

PRO Supporter

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2013, 12:47:33 am »
Only got Battlefield 4 here....  Thinking about getting Need for Speed, but want to see it hands on a little more first....

insektmute

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2013, 01:18:42 am »
So, so, so lame that I had to cancel my pre-order. Arghhhh, damn you all!

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 08:56:58 am »

You're honestly not missing-out on much at the moment  ???

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2013, 02:36:23 pm »

You're honestly not missing-out on much at the moment  ???

Not much, but so much..

Mwuahahaha  ;)

brunauss

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
Visited Best Buy yesterday and was pleased with the how much of the running consoles they let you see now. Which now brings me to this. If ever I changed my mind about the new consoles, think I would go with the Xbox One... for this very simple reason... I don't want my console cooking itself. The Xbox One looks too be very efficiently ventilated on the sides and half of the top. About time they did this right. Now for the PS4 *groans* WHY are there NO air intakes or no means of proper ventilation on this unit. Did the designers not pay attention in class when discussing Thermal Dynamics. These new consoles are supposed to be a better match to existing game rigs and thus require fresh cool air to be sucked in to replace the hot air being pushed out. No air intakes... no fresh cool air. From what I can see, the PS4 chasis is built internally to be the perfect vacuum chamber. Thermal Dynamics teaches us designers that heat expands a lot faster in a vacum. I am really disappointed in Sony. The PS4 display model says the console will cook itself to death faster than the first generation Xbox 360 did. It also says Sony will loose a serious amount of money, if they do not address this problem right away.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 03:09:03 pm by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

brunauss

« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2013, 04:10:30 am »
Visited Best Buy yesterday and was pleased with the how much of the running consoles they let you see now. Which now brings me to this. If ever I changed my mind about the new consoles, think I would go with the Xbox One... for this very simple reason... I don't want my console cooking itself. The Xbox One looks too be very efficiently ventilated on the sides and half of the top. About time they did this right. Now for the PS4 *groans* WHY are there NO air intakes or no means of proper ventilation on this unit. Did the designers not pay attention in class when discussing Thermal Dynamics. These new consoles are supposed to be a better match to existing game rigs and thus require fresh cool air to be sucked in to replace the hot air being pushed out. No air intakes... no fresh cool air. From what I can see, the PS4 chasis is built internally to be the perfect vacuum chamber. Thermal Dynamics teaches us designers that heat expands a lot faster in a vacum. I am really disappointed in Sony. The PS4 display model says the console will cook itself to death faster than the first generation Xbox 360 did. It also says Sony will loose a serious amount of money, if they do not address this problem right away.

Recently followed this link and got some revised and better detailed data on the PS4 internally.
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/15/ifixit-reveals-the-ps4-is-beautiful-inside-and-out/

The above stated situation thankfully does not exist. Being too busy to get online much, since the release of the PS4, did not help much to soften the impact of what I personally could not see. After watching the video, I can honestly say my attention migrates back to PS4 and Xbox One will just have to wait much further down the road. The PS4 is clearly a very fine machine to be watched.

Oh something else is bothering me now. Has everyone now abandoned this thread just because one of the two consoles is now out on shelves?
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

scott

« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2013, 08:45:56 am »
Nope. I was just gonna post that I downloaded Contrast and found it to be super interesting, with a strangeness that is right up my alley.

All in all I'm loving the PS4.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

karyann

« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2013, 10:28:30 am »
I tried 2 demos at an EB Games store this week-end, and man it was great. I love the new controller, it's super comfortable! Knack was really fun, and I also tried a digging game but I don't know how it's called. All in all, I loved what I tried.

soera

« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2013, 11:07:36 am »
Oh something else is bothering me now. Has everyone now abandoned this thread just because one of the two consoles is now out on shelves?

I have. The only interest I had in anything this generation was Wii U, PS4, and a little bit in the 3DS (mostly Link to the past 2). Now that they are all available for me right now, not much more for me to add here.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2013, 12:00:20 pm »

I have. The only interest I had in anything this generation was Wii U, PS4, and a little bit in the 3DS (mostly Link to the past 2). Now that they are all available for me right now, not much more for me to add here.

No "Vita-love" or interest?

soera

« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2013, 01:13:32 pm »
Mmmmm a little. I wouldnt turn one down but so far I havent seen too much about it. I may check into it more later on but right now with the PS4, Im going to be pretty occupied as far as buying stuff for the future.

karyann

« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2013, 04:39:13 pm »
No "Vita-love" or interest?

I think that hardware-wise, the Vita looks really great. I'm not really aware of the games for it, but it's definitely in my plans to buy one when I can get it for a better price than what I can find right now. I can't complain about the games since I'm not aware, but I definitely have a complain about the price  :o Those memory cards are so damn pricy, I can't believe anyone would prefer digital over physical with such storage prices. But all in all, I already own 2 Vita games, and I can't wait to try them :)

scott

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 05:52:11 pm »
I kinda really want a Vita now for Remote Play on the PS4.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread