Author Topic: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?  (Read 19606 times)

soera

Re: Who here is getting a PlayStation 4 / XBox One?
« Reply #135 on: December 19, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
The XboxNone eventually has to be connected to the internet at some point.

bobster

« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2013, 10:37:27 am »
Yup it needs a day one patch in order to open up a lot of the functionality you expect out of the box. I think that includes blu-ray movie playback if I remember correctly.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

90snostalga

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2013, 10:38:36 am »
Ah okay.  Am I the only one who finds that a problem tho'?  Or is that okay to most people?

bobster

« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2013, 10:42:21 am »
Well, most people were pretty angry about it. The Xbox one is getting a lot of flak for their online requirements.

To be fair though, I think the PS4 had a day one patch that added stuff too. I don't own either so I can't confirm. I get the impression it wasn't as dire though.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2013, 10:55:05 am »

Heh, the X-BOXed itself into the corner!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

karyann

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2013, 11:49:01 am »
What I would definitely NOT be okay with, if I had an Xbone, is their ban thing if you swear over skype. Yup, you can get banned from certain internet-using applications if you say shit over skype on your Xbone. I could understand if it was profanity while online gaming (managing the infamous "I slept with your mom" isn't a bad idea at all), but on Skype you choose who you add, so it's not the same at all. Just one more reason keeping me away from the console.

soera

« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2013, 01:10:57 pm »
Yeah, its all about Microshaft's life intrusion. Its the reason they made all those initial decisions to begin with. So they can control every aspect of what people do with something they produce.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2013, 01:14:02 pm »
Apparantly the DRM thing "not happening" was a lie, too. I just saw a story on Facebook about some games being blocked for people.

It's the old bait and switch.

sin2beta

« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2013, 10:42:22 pm »
Yeah, its all about Microshaft's life intrusion. Its the reason they made all those initial decisions to begin with. So they can control every aspect of what people do with something they produce.

I am going to have to disagree with the purpose you propose for the rule. Things like saying you can get banned for language seems like something that should be in place. There comes a point where control has to be in place for admins (or their equivalent). The skype thing comes from this service being linked to the upload service for gameplay. Sony just saw this issue with their analogous playroom. That feature was removed and is still gone as far as I know (although I haven't kept up with it). Nintendo no longer has swap note. And hell, Nintendo was the most draconian. Granted that wasn't so much a language thing. However, people act like idiots. There needs to be some way to not let it get out of control. Microsoft needs this blanket rule. Sony needs this blanket rule. Nintendo needs this blanket rule. Hell, we have this blanket rule. We've banned people in the forum for how posts are made.

Believe me, Microsoft is not being too strict on language. If you think they are, you haven't played Call of Duty on XBox live lately. But the gameplay and streaming features are new that have already proven troublesome in just one month. At least Microsoft has not removed the feature like some of their competitors.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 10:46:05 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

karyann

« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2013, 04:28:46 pm »
I am going to have to disagree with the purpose you propose for the rule. Things like saying you can get banned for language seems like something that should be in place. There comes a point where control has to be in place for admins (or their equivalent). The skype thing comes from this service being linked to the upload service for gameplay. Sony just saw this issue with their analogous playroom. That feature was removed and is still gone as far as I know (although I haven't kept up with it). Nintendo no longer has swap note. And hell, Nintendo was the most draconian. Granted that wasn't so much a language thing. However, people act like idiots. There needs to be some way to not let it get out of control. Microsoft needs this blanket rule. Sony needs this blanket rule. Nintendo needs this blanket rule. Hell, we have this blanket rule. We've banned people in the forum for how posts are made.

Believe me, Microsoft is not being too strict on language. If you think they are, you haven't played Call of Duty on XBox live lately. But the gameplay and streaming features are new that have already proven troublesome in just one month. At least Microsoft has not removed the feature like some of their competitors.

I understand your point, but the CoD live and skype are two different things. Except if skype was the new way to communicate when playing online with strangers (I don't know if it is or not, I don't really care for the xbone), then it would be the same. It's true that it's similar to Nintendo and swapnote though, but they only removed swapnote. From what I've heard, Microsoft bans users from using many online services for a skype offence. If that's true, I find it worse than stopping only the problematic application.

sin2beta

« Reply #145 on: December 25, 2013, 03:31:32 pm »

I understand your point, but the CoD live and skype are two different things. Except if skype was the new way to communicate when playing online with strangers (I don't know if it is or not, I don't really care for the xbone), then it would be the same. It's true that it's similar to Nintendo and swapnote though, but they only removed swapnote. From what I've heard, Microsoft bans users from using many online services for a skype offence. If that's true, I find it worse than stopping only the problematic application.

Right now, from my understanding Skype is one and the same with the XBox Live  services. They are basically integrating all the services. I believe that was one of the purposes of Microsoft buying skype.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

karyann

« Reply #146 on: December 25, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »
Right now, from my understanding Skype is one and the same with the XBox Live  services. They are basically integrating all the services. I believe that was one of the purposes of Microsoft buying skype.

Oh, I see. That changes a lot of things, I've got to search for more informations on this. I'm kinda curious now!

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2014, 12:25:36 am »

Not true at all... XboxOne can be updated via USB just like 360, PS3 and PS4.

« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:12 am »
I am holding off for a while before I get a PS4. I have all sorts of issues regarding Microsoft and their XBOX One, and don't anticipate I will ever buy one. But until a library worth dropping several hundred dollars is available on the PS4, I'll happily enjoy my PS3 and Wii still :)

soera

« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:10 am »

Not true at all... XboxOne can be updated via USB just like 360, PS3 and PS4.

I havent seen anywhere mentioned that you can play the Xbox None without having updated it from the start.