Author Topic: Love It or Hate It: Video Game Edition - The Legend of Dragoon  (Read 1555 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Love It or Hate It: Video Game Edition - The Legend of Dragoon
« on: November 09, 2013, 03:48:09 pm »

Platform: PlayStation (Original)

Genre: Turn-Based RPG

Release Date: December 1999 (Japan)
                       June 2000 (North America)

This game seems to have a pretty wide divide. Some fans adore it, and other gamers can't seem to understand why the others adore it.

What is your opinion on the game?

Love it, or hate it?

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Love It or Hate It: Video Game Edition - The Legend of Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 04:12:00 pm »
Never played it. "Why are you posting here then" you say?  Your guess is as good as mine.

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »
Never played it. "Why are you posting here then" you say?  Your guess is as good as mine.

How dare you post without having played the game?!? You shall be punished heavily!

Yeah, I dunno, never played the game. Saw a friend play it once and it looked okay.

scott

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 07:55:07 pm »
Loved it! I even went right out and bought it after checking it out at my cousins. I had a problem with the linear map movement, after having played games like FFVII. But I really enjoyed the combo system when attacking and I liked the story a lot.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

azure

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 09:44:41 pm »
Never played the game, but I have heard of it. From my standing point now, and considering JRPGs are my favorite kind of games. I would say that I would probably enjoy it.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:24:10 am »
I love it. I enjoyed playing the demo and got around getting it when i was young. Oh the memories <3.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 09:10:05 pm »
I think "hate" is a bit strong but if my only other option is "love"... :)

Too much backtracking for my tastes, especially when they give you a nice dot-to-dot world map... then force you to walk through every dungeon you've already done just to reach the next place you're meant to go to anyway. Characters/story were also nothing to write home about in my book, and the game wasn't charming enough for it to not matter. On a system with so many brilliant RPGs no matter where you're from I don't think LoD matches up.

bobster

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:23 am »
Loved it! But that was way back when it first came out. Not sure how it'd stand up today if I played it. I remember the combo system getting really tedious for me towards the end.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:33:18 pm »
never played it.

insektmute

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 03:49:14 pm »
I absolutely loved it, especially once I got used to the combat mechanics. They're similar enough to Shadow Hearts that I wouldn't be at all surprised if the SH team considered LoD to be an influence.

I do remember when it came out though, and tons of reviewers tore it to shreds, more or less over the fact that it wasn't Final Fantasy VII. Sad, because most of those exact same sites now treat it as one of the best PS1 games.

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:48:16 am »
It was alright.  It was no Final Fantasy VII killer.  The graphics were good, the story at times was a little redundant but well told.  The only issue I have with it is the battle music.  I like to have it upbeat and punchy.  Dragoons battle tunes, with exception of a couple of the boss themes were, blech.  The rest of the soundtrack was good though so it balances out.

It's definitely worth owning.