Author Topic: Current Collection Goals?  (Read 13983 times)

argyle

Re: Current Collection Goals?
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:04 am »
Just tap the Playstation button while you're in the PSOne game, it will bring up a menu and that should be one of the options.

I'd never heard of/didn't know about this, either.

Then again, I can only remember playing a couple of PS1 games on my PS3 (CT WAS one of them, though)!

*SOURCE*  on/for this?

(Not that I don't believe everything that I read on Internet message boards, or anything:)  ;)

Source:  Me.  Because I've done it.  :P

Folks,

I have to apologize. I just sat down to check and it seems I got my new old school mixed up.

The ps2 lets you set it system wide (although my Alzheimer's has me swearing I set it when I first got my ps3 as well.). I also swear I've toggled it on/off per game on my PS3 (that one must be the Aspertame in my Coke Zero).

Anyway, I am uploading a video to youtube showing how to set it system wide on the PS2. I've read a few places that say PS2 with fast disk read is actually faster than PS3 normal.

I'll have to give that a shot. If it's true I guess my quest for a fully backward compatible PS3 fat will come to an end and my PS 2 will continue to have purpose.

I'm pretty embarrassed by my brain misfiring on this one. :P

Man, I'm embarrassed too - I could have SWORN I turned this on just recently when I was playing some Suikoden II.  But like you said, maybe I was thinking of the PS2.  Yeesh - I am getting old I guess...or heck, I drink a lot of Coke Zero too.  Maybe you've hit on something, maybe that stuff erodes our gaming memory centers.   :o  Sorry guys.   :-[
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2014, 07:06:26 am »
WTF?!

Misinformation & mistakes on da netz  :o

Say it ain't so VGC  :P

It's cool...I'd have been more pissed at myself for being ignorant about such a feature for so long!
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

bobster

« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2014, 08:35:47 am »
Just tap the Playstation button while you're in the PSOne game, it will bring up a menu and that should be one of the options.

Then again, I can only remember playing a couple of PS1 games on my PS3 (CT WAS one of them, though)!

*SOURCE*  on/for this?

(Not that I don't believe everything that I read on Internet message boards, or anything:)  ;)

Folks,

I have to apologize. I just sat down to check and it seems I got my new old school mixed up.

The ps2 lets you set it system wide (although my Alzheimer's has me swearing I set it when I first got my ps3 as well.). I also swear I've toggled it on/off per game on my PS3 (that one must be the Aspertame in my Coke Zero).

Anyway, I am uploading a video to youtube showing how to set it system wide on the PS2. I've read a few places that say PS2 with fast disk read is actually faster than PS3 normal.

I'll have to give that a shot. If it's true I guess my quest for a fully backward compatible PS3 fat will come to an end and my PS 2 will continue to have purpose.

Hey man not a problem! I kept seeing people saying it was for the PS2 as well. Some people mentioned the PSP, but I couldn't find that setting anywhere either lol.

So officially, it looks like the PS2 and the PSVita can do it? Good to know!

Testing Chrono Trigger on the PS3 last night, I got to see just how long the load times were opening up the menu. It was BAD. I'll try it with my PS2 tonight when I get home :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #108 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:01 am »
No one mentions the "Everything is awesome"? :D

Have you been watching the Lego Movie?  The Boy loves it.

My kids have watched it 4 times over the last 2 nights. I cant get that damned song out of my head.

It's a catchy little ditty. The Boy got it stuck in his head and and told me "Daddy, I've got an ear worm."

soera

« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:50 am »
Hah an ear worm. Apparently he watches Spongebob too.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #110 on: July 09, 2014, 10:25:05 am »

Yeah. My life is run by cartoons.

argyle

« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2014, 10:36:59 am »

Or possibly Wrath of Khan.  ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:29 pm »
- Start upgrading my loose Genesis games to CIB
- Focus on collecting for the PS1
- Collect more gaming magazines
- Start collecting for my Japanese Saturn again (have added two games in probably a year and a half)

bobster

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2014, 09:01:06 am »

*SOURCE*  on/for this?

Folks,

Hey man not a problem! I kept seeing people saying it was for the PS2 as well. Some people mentioned the PSP, but I couldn't find that setting anywhere either lol.

So officially, it looks like the PS2 and the PSVita can do it? Good to know!

Testing Chrono Trigger on the PS3 last night, I got to see just how long the load times were opening up the menu. It was BAD. I'll try it with my PS2 tonight when I get home :D
I tested it on my PS2 this morning before work (good excuse to be late if I've ever heard of one!) and the fast read on the PS2 had a noticeable difference, but still had very noticeable load times. So it makes it better, but still not great.

It should be noted that when I enabled it and went into the game the first time, it froze at the PS1 logo screen.... You might run into some stability issues.

Here's some videos to show you how bad it can be.

Chrono Trigger Battle Load comparison of SNES vs PS1.

Comparison of PS Vita with and without Fast Read vs PS1

The second video gives you an idea of what you'd be gaining on the PS2 I'd think. Keep in mind, this is every transition... Even opening the menu is painful  :-\
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
^ Like I suggested: Wii Virtual Console version. It's cheap, you get to play it on a T.V. screen, no load times, and instant saves anywhere at anytime.

abe

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »
^ Like I suggested: Wii Virtual Console version. It's cheap, you get to play it on a T.V. screen, no load times, and instant saves anywhere at anytime.

The Nintendo DS version is pretty good too. Even if you can't play it on your TV or use save states, it's still another good option.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:57 pm »

I thought Nintendo shut down the wii shop. No?

abe

« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:16 pm »

Nope, they only shut down the online functionality of games on the DS & Wii. The Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop are still functional. Nintendo will still let you give them your money, they just won't let you have fun online with their games.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2014, 11:01:06 pm »

Nope, they only shut down the online functionality of games on the DS & Wii. The Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop are still functional. Nintendo will still let you give them your money, they just won't let you have fun online with their games.

Well damn! I'm booting up the Wii this month!

karyann

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2014, 10:10:16 am »
Nintendo will still let you give them your money, they just won't let you have fun online with their games.

That's a funny but accurate way to put it haha.