Author Topic: Recommended regular Wii games?  (Read 2523 times)

90snostalga

Recommended regular Wii games?
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:52:38 am »
I got my Wii U today but I want to catch up on Wii games.  I never owned a regular Wii and only played it once which was Wii Sports.  Other than the obvious donkey kong  zelda and mario, give me a good list of games to play.  It will take me a little time to get an actual Wii remote and controller but I can look out for games in the mean time.    I got the kids a Wii Mini which is perfect for them but I wont use there remote  ;)

Re: Recommended regular Wii games?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:31:37 am »
Check out Muramasa, Madworld, No More Heroes, A Boy and His Blob, Metroid Other M, Punch Out!!, Red Steel 2, The Kirby games, Warioware, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, I don't know if you're into fighters but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a pretty good one, and Metroid Prime Trilogy although it is pretty pricey
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:48:14 am by kingrat101 »

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 01:50:47 am »
Check out Muramasa, Madworld, No More Heroes, A Boy and His Blob, Metroid Other M, Punch Out!!, Red Steel 2, The Kirby games, Warioware, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, I don't know if you're into fighters but Tatsunoko vs Capcom is a pretty good one, and Metroid Prime Trilogy although it is pretty pricey

Thanks!  There is this one game that I cant remember what it's called that some one mentioned to me years ago.  It was similar (reminded me of) a Virtua Cop for the saturn where the screen keeps moving and the enemies pop up and you shoot them.  It was made by Sega as well I believe, but can't remember the name.  You know?

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 01:51:20 am »
-Bit.Trip Complete - A collection of some of the best Wii Ware games ever produced. The game matches rhythm gameplay with an old-school mentality, and adds in a mesmerizing soundtrack in each game. Must plays if you're a Wii owner.

-Cave Story - This one is a Wii Ware game. But it's a great little game that started as a PC shareware game a while back. This has the original version, and a touched-up version for the Wii. It has fantastic Metroidvania gameplay, with a very charming setting and characters. One of my all-time favorite games after playing it, serious. My only complaint is that it's so short.

-Data East Arcade Classics - I don't have this one. But I grew up playing a number of the games on the collection, and I know these games are just plain fun! I really want to get my hands on a copy of this.

-House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return - The classic Sega horror arcade-shooters return on the Wii. Same cheesy voice-acting, and the same zombie-shooting fun you loved the first time around!

-House of the Dead: Overkill - A fantastic light-gun shooter with a lot of style. It emulates the drive-in flicks of the 70s, and does a damn entertaining job at it.

-Metal Slug Anthology - A great collection of all the run-n-gun classics on Neo Geo MVS.

-Metroid: Other M - This game gets some heat out there. But it's a fine Metroid game. It admittedly gets a little talky at times, but that really is a minor complaint compared to the story you receive, the high-end Nintendo polish, and the great gameplay.

-Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - I'm a Metroid-junkie. Completely in love with the series. And this game is no exception. It takes what was great about the first Metroid: Prime; and gives it a WiiMote. And that one improvement, makes it feel like an entirely new experience.

-Pandora's Tower - I haven't actually played this one, yet. But it's high on my list of wanted games. It looks like a fantastic 3D action/adventure-platformer that uses a Bionic Commando-esque swinging mechanic, and set in a fantasy world.

-Pinball Hall of Fame: Gottileb Collection - Very accurate video pinball recreations of classic real pinball tables.

-Pinball Hall of Fame: Williams Collection - Very accurate video pinball recreations of classic real pinball tables.

-Rayman: Origins - One of the greatest 2D platformers ever made, no joke. It stands shoulders-to-shoulders with the likes of Super Mario Bros., Sonic the Hedgehog, and Donkey Kong Country. Great platforming level design with a musical focus; and speaking of music, it has an incredible soundtrack. Plus stunningly gorgeous graphics to match that amazing music. And it's HUGE, just jam-packed with levels. GET THIS!

-Resident Evil (Remake) - Same game as the absolutely awesome remake found on the GameCube.

-Resident Evil 4 - Another fine RE experience on the Wii.

-Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles - A light-gun shooter based on the classic RE games.

-Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - A light-gun shooter based on the classec RE games.

-Samurai Shodown Anthology - A collection of the Neo Geo MVS entries of the Samurai Shodown series.

-SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 - A fantastic collection of the some of the best first-party Neo Geo MVS games including Samurai Shodown, Metal Slug, Magician Lord, King of Fighters, and others.

-Sonic Colors - Another one I haven't actually played, yet. But I'm a big fan of the 2D Sonic games. And a lot of people tell me that fans like me would love Sonic Colors. It's on my wishlist.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 01:50:10 pm by burningdoom »

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:14:50 am »
I really enjoyed.

Arc Rise Fantasia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Madworld
No More Heroes
Xenoblade
The Last Story
Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
Trauma Center Series
Lost in Shadow
A Boy and His Blob

As for you question about a rail shooter developed by Sega.  Outside Virtua Cop, the only other one I know of is House of the Dead.

There are more, most are first party fare and well known though.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:19:07 am by ffxik »

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 04:01:47 am »
Goldeneye 007
Ghostbusters
Worms Battle Islands

I don't have a whole lot to offer as most of my Wii library is made up of first party Nintendo games.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:04:36 am »
This is a children's puzzle game but I hope you'll enjoy, as much as I did, Zack & Wiki: The Quest For Barbaros' Treasure.  Adorable animation, interactivity with the Wii Remote, and the theme of pirates instantly sold me.

Hope you won't mind me adding a link containing a video from one of my favorite video game-related shows:

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/eefe05/zack---wiki--quest-for-barbaros--treasure-x-play-review--zack-and-wiki-qfbt

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:34:29 am »
Not sure if you guys read my other post from a few days ago but I am frustrated right now.  Finally got to hooking up the Wii U and I put it the one "Wii" game that I have some Spyro game just to test it out, and it does require an update.  I emailed Nintendo and the agent said I do not need an update to play Wii or WiiU games.  That was a straight up lie.  I emailed him back with a kindly email telling him thanks for not researching my question Uhhh  :(

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 12:40:53 pm »
There is this one game that I cant remember what it's called that some one mentioned to me years ago.  It was similar (reminded me of) a Virtua Cop for the saturn where the screen keeps moving and the enemies pop up and you shoot them.  It was made by Sega as well I believe, but can't remember the name.  You know?
I believe that would be Ghost Squad

Also I would recomend anything HERE
http://vgcollect.com/RedBlaze57/wii

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 03:10:52 pm »

Thanks!  There is this one game that I cant remember what it's called that some one mentioned to me years ago.  It was similar (reminded me of) a Virtua Cop for the saturn where the screen keeps moving and the enemies pop up and you shoot them.  It was made by Sega as well I believe, but can't remember the name.  You know?

If you are talking Wii, then it is Ghost Squad. It is a Sega made spiritual successor to Virtua Cop

UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »
Ghost Squad that's it!   :) 

90snostalga

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 09:28:17 pm »
Any one know if any great Nintendo Wii U games coming out in 2014?  I do see a new Donkey Kong is coming...

And that Ghost Squad looks so much like Virtua Cop  :)  I can't wait to play that one for sure
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 09:31:03 pm by 90snostalga »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 10:33:55 pm »
All of Nintendo's first party stuff is great.  Don't skip the well know stuff.  I love Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

As for the WiiU, first party stuff is about all you have.  Donkey Kong is coming.  So is Mario Kart and Smash Bros.  Super Mario 3D World is a lot of fun, and I'm not huge fan of 3D platformers. 

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 11:28:39 pm »
All of Nintendo's first party stuff is great.  Don't skip the well know stuff.  I love Smash Bros. and Mario Kart.

As for the WiiU, first party stuff is about all you have.  Donkey Kong is coming.  So is Mario Kart and Smash Bros.  Super Mario 3D World is a lot of fun, and I'm not huge fan of 3D platformers.

What do you think of that Sonic Lost World, Turf?

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 11:39:43 pm »
I hope they can bring some more great 3rd party titles as well.  And I'm curious to see the popularity of the Wii U.  We were talking before about it in the other post about people not knowing the Wii U.  When I was at the store the other day getting it, people were asking me about why would I buy a 300 dollar accessory for the Wii.  So I had to explain that this is a whole new console and separate from the Wii.  About 6 people were listening and were very shocked.  They had no idea that it was not an accessory for the Wii.