Author Topic: Nintendo Wii U!!!  (Read 8861 times)

90snostalga

Nintendo Wii U!!!
« on: January 04, 2014, 12:11:21 am »
So thanks to Soera, Turf and the thread for the Nintendo Wii U from a while back, I was properly educated that the Wii U is not an accessory to the Wii, but it's own console!  So I ended up grabbing one based on this information, and I will have to say even tho' I have only played Zombie U on it, I love the console so far!   :D  The gamepad for video games is an amazing function!  The way the character has to look at his back pack on the game pad on Zombie is just one example.

Anyways, my point to this thread, is other than the obvious Nintendo gems coming out to the Wii U like Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc., do you think that it's any ways possible that Nintendo will get more 3rd party support and more 3rd party exclusives?  I believe that some games have the potential to be massive and untouchable on the Wii U versus some other consoles if the game pad is fully uses to it's best possible potential.  Please let me know you're thoughts everyone...

soera

Re: Nintendo Wii U!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:33:55 am »
Its going to develop just the way every other Nintendo system has. It definitely has the same type of potential that the 3DS does with the dual screens and the touch option. I think its a cool system regardless of all the people that say they hate it.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 03:18:05 pm »
So thanks to Soera, Turf and the thread for the Nintendo Wii U from a while back, I was properly educated that the Wii U is not an accessory to the Wii, but it's own console!  So I ended up grabbing one based on this information, and I will have to say even tho' I have only played Zombie U on it, I love the console so far!   :D  The gamepad for video games is an amazing function!  The way the character has to look at his back pack on the game pad on Zombie is just one example.

Anyways, my point to this thread, is other than the obvious Nintendo gems coming out to the Wii U like Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, etc., do you think that it's any ways possible that Nintendo will get more 3rd party support and more 3rd party exclusives?  I believe that some games have the potential to be massive and untouchable on the Wii U versus some other consoles if the game pad is fully uses to it's best possible potential.  Please let me know you're thoughts everyone...
I like the wii u a lot too, infact im replying off the gamepad. I think Nintendo has a lot of work to do, but they WILL show everyone who's on top.
Colton Kelsey
コルトンケルシー

karyann

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
I really love the Wii U, the gamepad is incredible and has so much potential! My only complain is about the damn thing about locking NNID to a console... I created my NNID back when I lived with my parents, but now that I moved away and got my own console, I can't access any game I bought at my parents' because my NNID is tied to their console :( I called customer support to have my account transferred and they told me it was impossible as of now, but that they were working on a software to make this easier in the future. Somewhere in the future. Who knows when.

But other than that, I really love everything that it already has to offer right now, and with the promise of more stuff to come, I can only be excited :) I got Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi U for Christmas, I'll have to play them soon!

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »
I really love the Wii U, the gamepad is incredible and has so much potential! My only complain is about the damn thing about locking NNID to a console... I created my NNID back when I lived with my parents, but now that I moved away and got my own console, I can't access any game I bought at my parents' because my NNID is tied to their console :( I called customer support to have my account transferred and they told me it was impossible as of now, but that they were working on a software to make this easier in the future. Somewhere in the future. Who knows when.

But other than that, I really love everything that it already has to offer right now, and with the promise of more stuff to come, I can only be excited :) I got Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi U for Christmas, I'll have to play them soon!

Aw that sucks  :-\  I didn't know about that.  I'm kind of glad now that I did not create a Nintendo ID at all with it.  I have read of people having problems that every single time they try to play a game, even the same game, they have to do a 5 to 10 minute update.  Mine just says no internet connection, i hit cancel and the game starts.  Other than that annoying Day 1 Wii Mode update, I love it!!   :D  I do wish that companies would take better advantage of the GamePad feature.  Let me know how that Luigi U is when you get around to it..

karyann

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:07 pm »
Aw that sucks  :-\  I didn't know about that.  I'm kind of glad now that I did not create a Nintendo ID at all with it.  I have read of people having problems that every single time they try to play a game, even the same game, they have to do a 5 to 10 minute update.  Mine just says no internet connection, i hit cancel and the game starts.  Other than that annoying Day 1 Wii Mode update, I love it!!   :D  I do wish that companies would take better advantage of the GamePad feature.  Let me know how that Luigi U is when you get around to it..

If the console is yours and you plan on keeping it, there's no problem at all creating an NNID :) I'd actually recommend it, because Miiverse is really fun. I became addicted without realising it.

As of now, I'd say that Luigi U is really great! I love that Luigi has a special jump, and the levels are definitely harder than the usual "New Super Mario", especially if you want to get all the big coins. Especially at that price, I definitely recommend!

blipcs76

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 10:04:35 am »
I got one just before Christmas as well and have been addicted to Super Mario 3D World.  Every single level in that game has a unique element to it.  Rarely do you see so much creativity crammed into a single game.  And the most important part, it's really fun.  That's why I love Nintendo so much, they focus on the most important part of gaming first -- making it fun.  Meanwhile, the 'hardcore' consoles seem to have shifted focus to realism, story and online multiplayer while often forgetting to make their games fun.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 03:25:25 pm »
I just wanted to share this from an article from the latest issue of Retro Gamer. It's VERY reflective of what's going on with Nintendo now, but with the N64. Ironic that I read this today, when this thread is going on.

It's from their section "Back to the Nineties", which takes actual gaming articles from the magazines of the time and reprints them. This one from 1996.

Nintendo was in a state of flux with worrying reports regarding the state of the company over recent weeks. First was the news that its long awaited Nintendo 64 was suffering from sluggish sales and that Nintendo's sales forecast was overly optimistic. Nintendo also announced further price cuts to its newest console with the N64 dropping from $249.99 to $199.99 for it's North American launch last month. Japanese N64 consoles were reduced accordingly.

Nintendo suggested this was to squeeze the competition, Sony's PlayStation and Sega's Saturn, both of which had also recently launched. Others indicated that N64 wasn't selling the units Nintendo had projected.

Potentially the most damaging news report was that long time Nintendo employee and head of its development team, Gunpei Yokoi, had left the company. Yokoi had been involved with many of Nintendo's biggest hardware and software creations. He had created the Game & Watch handheld LCD games and the Game Boy. He had also helped Shigeru Miyamoto as the producer of Mario and Donkey Kong and also produced the hugely popular Metroid franchise. Sadly, it seemed his one failure - the headache-inducing Virtual Boy - cost him his job.

Unfortunately for Nintendo a combination of all these elements resulted in its shares dropping and being suspended from trading amid a wave of selling in its stock. However, its shares resumed trading the next day.

Sound a lot like what's happening with the Wii U with it not selling well, the price drop, and even talks of Shigeru Miyamoto retiring (like Gunpei Yokoi's departure then).

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »
I am definitely enjoying my wii u.  Just picked up one of the mario wii remotes at a Goodwill for $15 actually :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 11:40:49 pm »
I am yet to find someone who has a WiiU that does not enjoy it.  Maybe the majority of people that buy games are more into graphics than good games. Maybe the WiiU is seen as too much of a kids toy. I just know it's a good system with good games.

I've heard its hard to program for and Nintendo puts a lot of restrictions on 3rd party developers. That and weak sales killed 3rd party support. That, in turn, hurt sales even more. The WiiU wasn't even getting bad press. It was just left out of the conversation.

I truly hope the WiiU pulls a 3DS and turns around. Its not that I already have a WiiU and I don't want to buy another system, but Nintendo makes really, really good games.

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:23:05 am »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 01:55:47 am »
I always go with Nintendo when the new generation comes for two reasons; the first party games and they own my favorite baseball team.  Nintendo's first party games are always worth the purchase of the console for me, but I can't help but feel disappointed with the growing lack of third party support.  Nintendo's third party support is about as dismal as the baseball team they own and it makes it harder for me to justify a purchase of a new console, I feel like I miss out on a lot of great games.  After the Wii was losing support and companies were releasing watered down ports of popular games all of my friends jumped ship and no longer have any interest in Nintendo consoles which really sucks as we are not playing the same games together anymore.  I am the only one who stuck with Nintendo this generation in my group of friends.  I am not counting out the Wii U yet as it is way to early to be judging the library to harshly, but so far my 3DS is getting waaaaaay more play time and I am not much of a handheld gamer.  Also I usually get my consoles mid to near end of the generation so I may just not be used to having the lack of games of a new system.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 12:23:32 pm »
I keep reading these articles about Nintendo, Nintendo , Nintendo and now they say they may go more internet and more mobile with their business strategy.  I love my Wii U and wish others would get it.  It's like I want to pray that NIntendo does better lol.

Furthermore, I just really think that with the release of Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, Super smash bros., and the new Zelda game if it ever comes out will pick up the sales quite a bit.  Well, thats what im hoping for.

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:14 pm »
Considering current articles are true about Nintendo's massive flop, will they exit out of the hardware market?

Loss of third-party support, Miyamoto preparing for retirement, Nintendo's stock drops...  Wonder what this year's Nintendo E3 entails.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 10:56:20 pm »
I just wanted to share this from an article from the latest issue of Retro Gamer.

I went to that site and im interested but I have never subscribed to a magazine before.  I'm tempted to do it but is the price a good price for the magazine sub?  I know I can do the online part but I prefer to read magazines and books on paper because its more easier for me.

Also,  do you like the Retro Magazine so far?  What do you think of it?