Author Topic: What do you do for living?  (Read 8104 times)

brunauss

Re: What do you do for living?
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2014, 07:50:14 pm »
I do remember a similar thread like this being started before and can't find it either. So I will post on this one.

I work at the Fort Myers Newpress in Fort Myers, Florida as a newspaper inserter in the production section of the building. Thats where the paper gets printed and shipped out the door. My job officially is about placing advertisements into the inserter machine, that puts the final printed product together, and stacking down the individual printed main sections themselves. Unofficially I have proven to be a fast learner with almost no limitations and thus they have me doing a little bit of everything, except being the manager and working on the equipment itself. The Newspress itself is part of the global communications corporation Ganett Communications based out of England. I have been with Ganett itself for 10 years and spent the first half up north at the Lansing State Journal in Lansing, Michigan.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

scott

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2014, 07:53:08 pm »
Primary sales man and kinda like an assistant manager of my family's business.

what is the family business

Oh, I sell utility and cargo trailers and parts.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2014, 07:55:46 pm »
Senior architectural design engineer.
i design building envelopes for large commercial buildings. - the metal panels and curtainwall (glazing) mainly.

That is actually pretty nice!!! :D
I am currently working on an application to navigate interiors using Oculus Rift. Would you be interested in it?

Thanks!

Thats pretty cool but 99% of my work is exterior. i need to learn how to use Revit. currently i just use AutoCAD and Navisworks (to look at the architects models)

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2014, 07:56:41 pm »
Primary sales man and kinda like an assistant manager of my family's business.

what is the family business

Oh, I sell utility and cargo trailers and parts.

thats pretty cool. you got contracts with any of the major trucking companies?

scott

« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2014, 07:58:13 pm »
Nope, it's all just small trailers. Not the big semi trailers, man I hate those things.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2014, 08:03:58 pm »
Nope, it's all just small trailers. Not the big semi trailers, man I hate those things.

i think semi's should be limited in speed. sick of them thrashing past me and 80 in snow.

bobster

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:37 am »
i design building envelopes for large commercial buildings. - the metal panels and curtainwall (glazing) mainly.

I am currently working on an application to navigate interiors using Oculus Rift. Would you be interested in it?

Thanks!

Thats pretty cool but 99% of my work is exterior. i need to learn how to use Revit. currently i just use AutoCAD and Navisworks (to look at the architects models)
From the pictures, I'm actually surprised you don't use Revit currently! Unfortunately, Curtain Walls in Revit are still pretty crappy to work with.

Going along with this thread, I work at an Architectural firm as their IT manager. Before that, I was the BIM/CAD manager which is a fancy way of saying I knew the most about AutoCAD and Revit.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »

Thanks!

From the pictures, I'm actually surprised you don't use Revit currently! Unfortunately, Curtain Walls in Revit are still pretty crappy to work with.

Going along with this thread, I work at an Architectural firm as their IT manager. Before that, I was the BIM/CAD manager which is a fancy way of saying I knew the most about AutoCAD and Revit.
cool.
ive never really got into the whole BIM modeling yet. we have sent that out to other companies. i think that companies expectations of the BIM model is still along way off. to creat a building that can be a perfect take off and fab package all in one is still years away. the current PC's just cant cope with a model with that much information.
i specialize in custom unitized curtainwall.

bobster

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2014, 09:54:20 am »

Thanks!

cool.
ive never really got into the whole BIM modeling yet. we have sent that out to other companies. i think that companies expectations of the BIM model is still along way off. to creat a building that can be a perfect take off and fab package all in one is still years away. the current PC's just cant cope with a model with that much information.
I agree to an extent. The capabilities are there to get a good take off, but it requires a ton of time to model everything. That ends up making it not worthwhile to do. Inputting all the materials and their properties for every object isn't really feasible and like you said, too taxing for most workstations. But then you've got firms like HKS that have crazy BIM rooms for running Navisworks and high end models.

As a coordination and consistency tool, it's hands down amazing. I work in AutoCAD as little as possible lol.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2014, 11:23:01 am »
I work in AutoCAD as little as possible lol.

I'm in the process of learning AutoCAD.  My work just switched over from an AASHTO backed CAD program that was not exactly an industry standard.  Holy shit is that a massive program.  I've worked in one place since I graduated college 8 years ago, and never had any training in AutoCAD.  I don't even know where to start.

bobster

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2014, 11:42:06 am »

I'm in the process of learning AutoCAD.  My work just switched over from an AASHTO backed CAD program that was not exactly an industry standard.  Holy shit is that a massive program.  I've worked in one place since I graduated college 8 years ago, and never had any training in AutoCAD.  I don't even know where to start.
Yup there isn't a single thing about autoCAD that's intuitive. At least there's the ribbon on the newer versions where you can find most any command you're looking for. Before that everything was basically command based -_-. I'd point you in a direction to learn, but I realized everything I know came from trying to figure out a specific problem lol.

If you do a lot of floor plans, where you'd reuse the same base plan for them, look into xrefs. They're totally helpful for keeping consistent among plans.

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2014, 11:53:10 am »

Thanks!

cool.
I agree to an extent. The capabilities are there to get a good take off, but it requires a ton of time to model everything. That ends up making it not worthwhile to do. Inputting all the materials and their properties for every object isn't really feasible and like you said, too taxing for most workstations. But then you've got firms like HKS that have crazy BIM rooms for running Navisworks and high end models.

As a coordination and consistency tool, it's hands down amazing. I work in AutoCAD as little as possible lol.

as a collision detection its amazing.
or if i cant tell what is going on in the architecturals then the model is normally pretty cool to look at to get an idea.

job im working on right now the slab is out on the whole building. just had a meeting and he said he would place it where we want it. meeting could not have gone better for us

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2014, 11:54:47 am »

Yup there isn't a single thing about autoCAD that's intuitive. At least there's the ribbon on the newer versions where you can find most any command you're looking for. Before that everything was basically command based -_-. I'd point you in a direction to learn, but I realized everything I know came from trying to figure out a specific problem lol.

If you do a lot of floor plans, where you'd reuse the same base plan for them, look into xrefs. They're totally helpful for keeping consistent among plans.

i dont use the ribbon. i use shortcut keys. L for line C for Circle etc

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56:24 am »

if your drawings take ages to save do this

ISAVEPERCENT
then type 100

that will make it so autocad just saves the changes made since the last save.

also look into lisp files.

bobster

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2014, 11:56:44 am »

i dont use the ribbon. i use shortcut keys. L for line C for Circle etc
That's definitely the most efficient way to CAD for sure. But for someone just starting to learn the program, it's a lot to take in.