Author Topic: What do you do for living?  (Read 7927 times)

90snostalga

Re: What do you do for living?
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2014, 12:35:44 pm »
I think that you guys are the only one's on here who know what the heck you are talking about lol.  I know I sure don't.  Sounds like ya'll are speaking another language to me

« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2014, 06:03:20 pm »
I work in AutoCAD as little as possible lol.

I'm in the process of learning AutoCAD.  My work just switched over from an AASHTO backed CAD program that was not exactly an industry standard.  Holy shit is that a massive program.  I've worked in one place since I graduated college 8 years ago, and never had any training in AutoCAD.  I don't even know where to start.
Yup there isn't a single thing about autoCAD that's intuitive. At least there's the ribbon on the newer versions where you can find most any command you're looking for. Before that everything was basically command based -_-. I'd point you in a direction to learn, but I realized everything I know came from trying to figure out a specific problem lol.

If you do a lot of floor plans, where you'd reuse the same base plan for them, look into xrefs. They're totally helpful for keeping consistent among plans.

i dont use the ribbon. i use shortcut keys. L for line C for Circle etc
That's definitely the most efficient way to CAD for sure. But for someone just starting to learn the program, it's a lot to take in.

Thats how I was taught. I had to do 1 year on the shop floor first. Then 1 year on the drawing boards. Then CAD

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »
I used to be an Application Engineer at a firm that sold Autodesk products. I still can't believe the number of calls we had to deal with when AutoCAD added the ribbon interface. I was just starting to get the hang of Revit when the company I worked for went out of business. Now days I only use AutoCAD for some basic modeling of my woodworking projects and to do some tweaks on some house plans. I loaded up 3DStudio MAX the other day; it's downright sad how much I've forgotten about that program. Used to do character modeling and animation in college with it, now it takes me 20 minutes to try to remember how materials work.  :(

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2014, 01:05:09 pm »
I think that you guys are the only one's on here who know what the heck you are talking about lol.  I know I sure don't.  Sounds like ya'll are speaking another language to me
I can understand if this post is taken down but....

90snostalga's head right now

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 01:21:02 pm »
I'm going to college this fall for Computer Systems and Networking, where I'll look to become a Network Admin or a Repair Technician. Not too fussy on programming, but I can build/diagnose a PC in a heartbeat.

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »
As for collaborating - do you do any Android or iOS dev? The Android app is slowly being worked on and will be opened sourced in the near future. I need lots of help on that as Java isn't my area (nor do I have the time for it).

I am not an expert on the iOS/Android side, although I had little experience with Android.
I will be travelling for the next two weeks, but I will contact you as soon as I get back so we can talk and see if I can be of help.

Cheers!
Juan M. - Naicigam

« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 03:14:32 am »
Buying and selling whatever... Mainly vintage pocket watches and guns. In the next few weeks will be working at a pawn shop.... Hoping to see some good deals on games come in:D
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren