Author Topic: Would you feel weird rocking a original Gameboy or Game Gear in public?  (Read 3548 times)

thecrypticodor

I do from time to time and I notice some weird looks from people. Especially when It's an enormous Game Gear with the Master System Converter attached. ;D I think it's mostly stupid people that are so ''new'' obsessed that any old tech is deemed valueless and inferior to them.

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: Would you feel weird rocking a original Gameboy or Game Gear in public?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:10:49 pm »
I probably wouldn't carry a Game Gear out just because it's so big; but a Gameboy isn't out of the question.  It's actually pretty similar in size to a 3DS XL. I'm not above a Gameboy. I bet it would even cause a few conversations.

scott

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »
I actually have a Red Game Boy Pocket that darko did a backlight mod for me on. I've rocked that in public multiple times.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:18:54 pm »
I actually have a Red Game Boy Pocket that darko did a backlight mod for me on. I've rocked that in public multiple times.

Darko does back light mods?

To answer the original post.  My answer is no I would not feel weird rocking anything.  I do it all the time.  I just don't care what any one thinks.  I still rock a cassette Sony walkman from time to time. 

scott

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:22:44 pm »
It was kind of a one off commission/ favor, I think.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:41:39 pm »
Not at all. I use my GBA-SP quite a bit, still. The Game Gear would just be a bit bulky to carry around.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:00 am »
Not at all. I use my GBA-SP quite a bit, still. The Game Gear would just be a bit bulky to carry around.

And you could only play it 30-minutes, tops, before the batteries got sucked dry :p

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:10:07 am »
When I go on business trips I pull out the Game Gear and put it on the dashboard and pretend it is my GPS unit.

Actually I get the most stares at security when I have to put any systems in the bins at the airport.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

thecrypticodor

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:37:50 am »

And you could only play it 30-minutes, tops, before the batteries got sucked dry :p
All you would need is a Game Gear battery pack like this one

Also you would have to replace the internal battery inside the pack as it would be so old it most likely wouldn't hold a charge and then you could get about a hour. Very practical as well as portable I must say.  ;D

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:30:29 am »
Original Gameboy?  Maybe not.  Although, I enjoyed Super Mario Land and Tetris on it, the handheld doesn't really give me a lot of variety.  Then again, I only had access to those games and no longer have them.  Gameboy Color or Gameboy Advance...  Definitely!

Game Gear?  Don't remember playing one so until I've played some games on it, then I will give my decision.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:48:15 am »
If you're gonna go out on a train or a bus you gotta bring something with style. I'm talk'n Atari Lynx or NeoGeo Express! And if you have the funds you can listen to some music on your Sega CDX. Only then you'll be a cool kid.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 01:58:35 pm »

The battery-life really isn't as bad as people make it. I took my Game Gear with me on a trip down to the Bay Area, which is 3 1/2 to 4 hours away, and it lasted me the whole trip without dying. And that was with it playing Master System games through the converter.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 02:30:28 pm »
The battery-life really isn't as bad as people make it. I took my Game Gear with me on a trip down to the Bay Area, which is 3 1/2 to 4 hours away, and it lasted me the whole trip without dying. And that was with it playing Master System games through the converter.
Yeah that's about what I get using 3000 mah rechargable batteries
The Game Gear is essentially just a portable Master System. So the converter doesn't contain any circuitry that would consume any extra power. It's just a pass threw device thats maps a MS pin connectors to the appropriate Game Gear pinout.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:25 pm »
Yeah that's about what I get using 3000 mah rechargable batteries
The Game Gear is essentially just a portable Master System. So the converter doesn't contain any circuitry that would consume any extra power. It's just a pass threw device thats maps a MS pin connectors to the appropriate Game Gear pinout.

I just figured it would take more power to run a full-on console game vs. a shrunk down portable game.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:33:05 am »
I've had some strange looks when I would take my Atari Lynx out and about. I'm surprised at how many people didn't realize Atari made anything past the 2600, never mind a handheld.