Author Topic: Master System, Who Collects For It?  (Read 4502 times)

Master System, Who Collects For It?
« on: February 14, 2014, 06:52:46 pm »
I never had it growing up, but ever since I started collecting for it, it's become one of my favorite consoles. What are some of your favorite titles? Here are some of mine:

Phantasy Star
Master of Darkness
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Golvellius

soera

Re: Master System, Who Collects For It?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:06:33 pm »
There are a few SMS collectors on here, myself included. I just picked up one more CIB today making my missing list for the CIB US set down to 6 titles. For the total NA (US + Canada) list Im only missing 16 titles. Not to mention I pick up games that I think should have been released in the states such as Bubble bobble, Ninja gaiden, Dragon crystal, Heroes of the lance, etc. I also have 5 of the 23 kiosk Not for resale games.

Golden axe warrior, Phantasy star, Miracle warriors, Golvellius, Ys, Rocky, R-Type, Astro warrior, Basketball nightmare, Ultima IV, Alex Kidd in miracle world are some of my top choices.

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »
Guilty as charged. My first priority when it comes to SMS is to get a CIB full collection of US releases, since there really weren't that many (114), and then I'll continue on with UK games. I only have 30 US and 2 UK games right now, and they include Ultima IV, Wonder Boy, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Fantasy Zone II, Rambo: First Blood Part 2, and Teddy Boy (just to name favorites). Speaking of Teddy Boy, I'm really pining to get all the Sega Cards, since they're cool as hell.

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »
I don't have a huge collection of SMS games; however, I do collect for it and its one of my favorite systems.  Here are some of my favorite games on the Master System:

*  Golvellius
*  Rampage (To me, this is the best port available)
*  Phantasy Star
*  Spy Vs Spy
*  Space Harrier
*  Alex Kidd
*  Hang On (Yes I like this game)

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »
Rampage for me too. Worth owning just for this great port. I like Hang On, Astro Warrior, and Outrun too

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 11:03:32 pm »
Just started collecting for it

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:03 pm »
I do, but I don't have a huge collection or anything. It's mostly made-up of the 1st-party Sega essentials.

My favorite game on the system is actually this kind of strange, and very foreign feeling horizontal shoot-em up called Cloud Master. It was one of the first shoot-em ups I played outside of Star Soldier on NES, so it was one of those games that made me fall in love with the genre.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 11:37:09 pm »
Count me in.

It is too bad that I didn't just pick up everything I needed 10 years ago because I could have completed an international collection for cheap!

I also collect Mark III systems and Master Systems with the YM2413 FM chips from Japan along with any software I can get my hands on.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 11:39:56 pm »
I do, but I don't have a huge collection or anything. It's mostly made-up of the 1st-party Sega essentials.

My favorite game on the system is actually this kind of strange, and very foreign feeling horizontal shoot-em up called Cloud Master. It was one of the first shoot-em ups I played outside of Star Soldier on NES, so it was one of those games that made me fall in love with the genre.

I need to play this!
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 12:13:53 am »
To be honest I've never seen one nor do I personally know anyone who had one.

dstone

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2014, 01:07:12 am »
Some of my favorites are Astro Warrior, Bomber Raid, Shooting Gallery and Spy vs Spy. I need to sit down and play through the collection a bit more; haven't had a chance to give the collection much love recently.

scott

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2014, 08:57:41 am »
The only time I've played a Master System was prolly 7 years ago. Matt and I knocked out Double Dragon on it. It was super fun, but I doubt I'd start up an SMS collection anytime soon.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2014, 10:33:39 am »
I have a respectable Master System collection. Rampage and Penguin Land are my favorite. 

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 11:32:51 am »
For those of you who listed Phantasy Star as one of your favorites - Were any of you actually able to complete the game without a guide?

I loved the game too, but I remember playing that game and I had no clue what to do until I started reading a guide. They literally wanted it to be as crazy as possible just to get the road pass you need at the start of the game. I would have never thought to do what you have to do on my own. Maybe I'm just stupid.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

soera

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 02:28:15 pm »
I beat the game way back in the day when it was still selling on the shelves. Its a pretty tough game but I used to play my RPGs with friends so we had a collective of ideas all the time. The hardest part of Phantasy star without a guide are the dungeons. They can be pretty intricate with multiple levels, walls that all look the same, and traps that make you fall floors so you can lose where you are.