Author Topic: Games you cannot find  (Read 3684 times)

Games you cannot find
« on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:07 am »
I thought of this topic after realizing there are a few games that I am after that I have never seen in person, and this is after five years of pretty extensive collecting. Sure, I could go on Ebay and get them, but in terms of actually finding a game at a store or a flea market, I have never seen these games in person and I have never been able to find hem for sale anywhere:

- Illbleed (Dreamcast): For a while I seriously doubted this game existed until seeing pictures of it online.
- Winback 2 (PS2): I have seen several copies for the XBOX here and there, but have never seen the PS2 version.
- Castlevania Chronicles (PS1): Seeing how there are usually quite a few copies on Ebay, I am surprised I've never come across this one.

So what are some games you are after that seem to escape you no matter how long you've been collecting?

karyann

Re: Games you cannot find
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Pretty much any PS1 RPG. There doesn't seem to be ANY up here.

argyle

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 12:00:06 pm »
  • Suikoden II:  I know it's to be expected now, but even before it became the "holy grail" that it has become I never saw it anywhere.  Closest I ever came was a GS employee telling me someone had traded in a perfect copy earlier that day but he was buying it, and a totally destroyed copy at another Gamestop that that employee agreed they shouldn't even be trying to sell.
  • .hack//G.U. (all):  I don't think I've seen any of these in the wild since they were new.  Still kicking myself for not picking up the edition of the first one w/ the figure, I remember looking at it in the store several times.

Honestly I could make a much longer list of games I'm looking for now that I never see anywhere, because older games are almost impossible to find in my area outside of resellers who mark them up to ebay prices.  But these are games that I don't think I've ever seen since they were new on the shelf, anywhere. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »
If I only had local thrifts, pawns, yardsales or game stores as my source I'd say probably 20% of my collection I wouldn't have. For example, the Tandy Color Computer is a pretty hard to find item and although I've found a couple computers and some carts locally, 75% of my collection is from online sources. No one around me collects for it. Every wanted ad I've posted on the local kijiji site goes completely unanswered.

If you collect the popular Nintendo or other mainstream stuff for example, you'd probably have much better luck happening upon them in your local area.

I will say that one game for the PS3 really surprises me that I can't find it anywhere locally is Test Drive Unlimited 2. Wouldn't have thought that a racing game from a popular franchise on a popular system would be hard to find.

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:20:26 pm »
Panzer Bandit, there's only a few listings on ebay but nothing below like 35$.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:22:21 pm by lizardjesus »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:45:59 pm »
Ms. Pac-Man Namco Release on the NES. I have it, but it's the only copy I've seen in person. It's not really a rare or expensive game. I just looked for it for a decade with no luck.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 12:55:49 pm »
Misadventures of Tronne Bonne

*Glares in Soera's direction*
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:11:22 pm »
PCB for the Castlevania arcade game Haunted Castle. It never pops on eBay.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 01:39:02 pm »
A whole freaking lot. My wishlist is far too long and always just seems to grow.

Here's the top ones, for now, that I haven't come across:

-DuckTales 2 (NES) (Well, I actually used to own this, then my brother sold my entire, amazing, NES collection when I was in the Air Force years back. I just haven't been able to find it since.)
-Golden Axe: Warrior (Sega Master System)
-In The Hunt (PS1)
-Lunar the Silver Star Story Complete (PS1)
-Mighty Final Fight (NES)
-Ninja Gaiden (Sega Master System)
-Intelligent Qube (PS1)
-The Punisher (Genesis)
-Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2 (Sega Master System)
-Sonic Chaos (Sega Master System)
-Sunset Riders (SNES)
-Thunder Force V (PS1)

And pretty much ANY TurboGrafx-16 games.

soera

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »
Im going to sound like a broken record ... but Buster Douglas for the SMS. I am a pretty regular customer at a semi local chain around here called Vintage stock/Movie trading company. Well, I had them do a search to see if any stores have the game. Not only did none have it but it wasnt even in their system. This is the first time Ive ever seen a game not even in their system.

pacpix

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 02:56:31 pm »
For some reason I could never find Bad News Baseball on NES anywhere I looked.  It was one of my favorite games when I was younger, but I did not want to buy a common sports game off of eBay when I felt like it should be an easy game to find.  I actually finally got a copy through the VGCollect Secret Santa thanks to Scott!
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 06:18:08 pm »
Gex PS1 - PAL copy, haven't seen a copy go up on eBay for years
All console Metal Slugs - Never came across a single copy in stores, there's plenty up on eBay I'm considering though
Okami PS2 - PAL copy. again I never came across a copy in stores
Gold Nintendo World Championships NES - Shouldn't be to hard to find  8)

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 07:33:37 pm »
  • PlayStation 4 and Vita games with a manual.  Inserts and/or safety guide don't count.   ;D
  • Suikoden II:  I know it's to be expected now, but even before it became the "holy grail" that it has become I never saw it anywhere.
  • Even in the 90's, I don't think I've ever seen a Sega Genesis/Master Drive game or system being sold, whether in the United States or Philippines.  Although, games being rented is kind of a different story.
  • Dokapon Kingdom (PlayStation 2)

Please check out the games I have for sale.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 07:44:04 pm »
Neo Geo and Turbografx shit.

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 09:04:11 pm »
  • PlayStation 4 and Vita games with a manual.  Inserts and/or safety guide don't count.   ;D
  • Suikoden II:  I know it's to be expected now, but even before it became the "holy grail" that it has become I never saw it anywhere.
  • Dokapon Kingdom (PlayStation 2)

I sadly passed on this game back when it was first released. It was on clearance at like a Sears or something for $10 new. Still regretting not getting it.