Author Topic: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?  (Read 15275 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: Do You Collect to Play, or Do You Collect to Collect?
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2014, 12:08:49 pm »
I think we got our first big fanboy/girl on VGCollect, guys.

Fix'd!

For political correctness  8)
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2014, 12:11:03 pm »
I didn't realize Dream was a girl. My bad for falling into the male-geek stereotype.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »
I also do not really have an opinion as to which was better.

If you look at my collection it is dominated by AAA Genesis titles. That said, it's more because my wife's Grandpa used to own a video game rental store and when he passed all of the stores Genesis stuff became my wife's. Not exactly the preferred way to build ones collection.

Genesis did have a lot of good exclusives. That said when a game went to both systems the Graphics and Sound are undeniably better on the SNES versions almost every time.

For example, I have MK I for Genesis in spite of the weaker graphics and sound because of the blood. But MK2 on the SNES because of the better graphics sound and gameplay.

I think the coolest thing is that these things have become so cheap that now you can actually afford to have both and experience the best of both worlds. Back in the day you had to pick and at the prices you were lucky to have either.

dreama1

« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2014, 03:07:00 pm »
Street fighter sucked balls on genesis.

spac316

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2014, 05:30:42 pm »
I collect to play for the most part. I may not get to them all but I do play when I could. It is now frustrating to buy the games I want to play but can't because it's getting to ridiculously expensive! I dislike it when people just buy a game and place it on their shelves just to look cool.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:34:15 pm by spac316 »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2014, 05:44:03 pm »
I collect to play for the most part. I may not get to them all but I do play when I could. It is now frustrating to buy the games I want to play but can't because it's getting to ridiculously expensive! I dislike it when people just buy a game and place it on their shelves just to look cool.

I'm cool with it so long as they will at least let me borrow it for a review. ;-)

For $350 I'd rather borrow than own Bonk for the NES.

What bums me out more is ReCarts of things like SMB2j that had very limited production runs. As is typically my luck, I didn't even know things like the RetroZone version of SMB2j existed until they were no longer being made.

Try finding one of those for sale anywhere, let alone for a reasonable price.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 05:45:54 pm by dashv »

« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2014, 11:15:46 am »
Woa woaaaaa there cowboy! Street Fighter II SCE for the Genny was amazing! The only downside was the raspy voices and smaller sprites, but other than that it played perfectly fine. Six button pad on Genesis > SNES pad for fighters any day(unless playing MK)!

As for the topic... I am both types of collector. I have 3 systems that I absolutely love and want to own every game for no matter how shit it is and then there is the rest that I buy games that I know are good and actually want to play.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:19:18 am by pceslayer »

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2014, 12:30:39 pm »
I was collecting to collect at one point, (spending over $1000 most months), and then I realized I was never gonna get a chance to play over half of what I collected in my life, (most being RPGs). I have since calmed WAY down, limited myself extremely, (going for getting 1 game a month unless there is some crazy good deal like the PSN .99 flash sale), and play pretty much everything. I got rid of I'd say about 90% of my collection since last year and now have around 20 or games in the cabinet. Of course I am not counting PS+ games, steam or PC in general.

Though I really enjoy collecting games, I got to where I saw no point in it at all when I was never going to play most of em even though I wanted to.

And hopefully no one that does collect takes offense because I love hearing and seeing folks collections.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2014, 12:43:14 pm »
Woa woaaaaa there cowboy! Street Fighter II SCE for the Genny was amazing! The only downside was the raspy voices and smaller sprites, but other than that it played perfectly fine. Six button pad on Genesis > SNES pad for fighters any day(unless playing MK)!

As for the topic... I am both types of collector. I have 3 systems that I absolutely love and want to own every game for no matter how shit it is and then there is the rest that I buy games that I know are good and actually want to play.

You can actually see side-by-side comparisons of Genesis and SNES Street Fighter games on YouTube, and there's very little differences. The 3-button controller sucks to use on SF on Genesis, but that's easily remedied with a 6-button controller.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »

You can actually see side-by-side comparisons of Genesis and SNES Street Fighter games on YouTube, and there's very little differences. The 3-button controller sucks to use on SF on Genesis, but that's easily remedied with a 6-button controller.

I agree with you completely about the controllers.

The 6 button genesis controller is perfect for street fighter while the snes controller is ideal for mortal kombat. I can't wait until the retron 5 lets me have the best of both worlds!

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2014, 04:19:28 pm »

I agree with you completely about the controllers.

The 6 button genesis controller is perfect for street fighter while the snes controller is ideal for mortal kombat. I can't wait until the retron 5 lets me have the best of both worlds!

I'm actually more used to the SNES style for SF games because that same control layout continued onto PS1 and Dreamcast, both of which I owned when they were current back then.

« Reply #131 on: May 20, 2014, 10:24:57 pm »
Usually I play first and then collect..

sin2beta

« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2014, 10:56:58 pm »
I think we got our first big fanboy on VGCollect, guys.

HEY, I've been here for a while. Unless, if my pickup of the Atari Lynx makes me not a fanboy...  ;D

On topic: I collect to play and to collect. I'm a full set collector in terms of goals. As a consequence, I own very few systems. If I really only collected to play, I would only keep about 10-30 games at most. I would then buy and sell games once I was done. Once you get the hang of eBay, you really don't lose money this way. Just keep an eye out for a good deal and then sell it as a BIN for a little under the asking price. You can actually build up your paypal account this way.

But I do enjoy playing these games. Even the bad sports games give me the $1 (or often less) value that I paid for them. If I never pop it in the system again, I still got my money's worth. And the opportunity cost of selling it does not outweigh the cost of keeping it as part of the collecting fun. Sometimes, I just like organizing and cleaning the games.

Now I also have an XBox collection on top of this. This is mostly to play. But I also like the picking up games at flea markets aspect. This is very much a collecting hobby in it. It reminds me of collecting for the NES in the late 90s. It's tough to do this with SEGA or Nintendo now.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2014, 12:13:18 pm »
It reminds me of collecting for the NES in the late 90s. It's tough to do this with SEGA or Nintendo now.

I can find Sega Master System, Dreamcast, and Sega Genesis games for dirt-cheap. Granted the Master System games are rarer to come across than the Genesis or Dreamcast games, though. But those Dreamcast and Genesis games are a dime-a-dozen and quite plentiful around here. It's the SNES, Saturn, Sega CD, and TG-16 stuff that goes for a pretty penny around here.

karyann

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:16 pm »
I primarily collect with the intention of playing.

And like someone else said, people collect many other things without "using" them, so I don't see the problem with buying the occasional game that I have no intention of ever playing.  It's foolish to judge what someone else chooses to do with their money anyway. 

Amen! :P At first I didn't wanna buy anything that I'd never play, but in the end I kinda started doing it from time to time. Just because owning some games make me happy, even without playing them.