Author Topic: Upcoming Niche Japanese Imports  (Read 18672 times)

abe

Re: Upcoming Niche Japanese Imports
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2015, 08:08:24 am »
Atlus and Vanillaware have announced that their previously teased collaboration project is an HD remaster/remake of the PS2 game Odin Sphere. The remake, titled Odin Sphere: Leifdrasir will be released on the PS4, PS3, and the PS Vita in Japan on January 14th, 2016. I'd say a localization is pretty likely, though for the moment no plans for a localization have been officially announced.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2015, 11:34:37 am »
Atlus and Vanillaware have announced that their previously teased collaboration project is an HD remaster/remake of the PS2 game Odin Sphere. The remake, titled Odin Sphere: Leifdrasir will be released on the PS4, PS3, and the PS Vita in Japan on January 14th, 2016. I'd say a localization is pretty likely, though for the moment no plans for a localization have been officially announced.

VERY excited about this, I loved Odin Sphere. :)

But they actually have 2 projects on the way - they're also working on a new IP w/ Atlus that will be announced in Sept.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

desocietas

« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2015, 12:32:41 pm »

VERY excited about this, I loved Odin Sphere. :)

But they actually have 2 projects on the way - they're also working on a new IP w/ Atlus that will be announced in Sept.

I'm really excited about Odin Sphere as well.  It's in my backlog (of course), but I love the look of Vanillaware games, but I heard that this particular title definitely chugs on the PS2.  I look forward to how it is handled on the newer consoles.

And a new IP! Exciting!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

abe

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2015, 12:46:23 pm »

I didn't see that yet when I made the post. :'( Here's the teaser video for anyone interested. Too bad we have to wait until September for more details on the new project. :(

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2015, 01:04:30 pm »
Odin Sphere ♥
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

abe

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:45 pm »
Spike Chunsoft and tri-Ace have announced their RPG collaboration project: Exist Archive: The other Side of the Sky. It has sci-fi themes and is set in modern day Tokyo as well as on a fictional planet known as Protolexa. The plot revolves around a group of 12 young humans with special powers granted by evil deities residing within them. From what I've read, it seems that dungeon exploration takes place along a 2D plane similar to Child of Life, with battles taking place on a different screen (also like Child of Life). The game is set to release some time this year in Japan on the PS4 and PS Vita.

There's plenty more info here for those who are interested: http://gematsu.com/2015/07/exist-archive-first-game-system-details

soera

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
About a year later from my initial post on the first page, Final fantasy explorers has an NA release date!!!! 01/16. :)

abe

« Reply #97 on: August 19, 2015, 11:18:53 am »
It's about time for another mini update. I'll update the OP later.

-Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 has been announced to be in development for the PS4 and Vita. No solid release date announced yet. There's also a possibility of a North American release according to the game's producer, Yosuke Hayashi. If it were to see a release in North America, apparently it would undergo some "adjustments" before it would be released here.

-Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires will receive a PS Vita release. No release date has been announced. It's possible that we may see a release for the game in North America, as previous Dynasty Warriors Vita games have received localizations.

-Majo Koi Nikki, a visual novel from Kaga Create, is receiving a PS Vita port.

-Miracle Girls Festival (PS Vita) now has a solid release date of December 17th in Japan. ;D

-Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to the PS4 in Japan some time in 2016.

-Picross 3D 2 has been announced for release on the 3DS in Japan on October 1st. The game will support the use of Amiibo in some way. The original Picross 3D for the Nintendo DS did see a North American release, so I'd say we'll probably get this eventually. No official word on that yet though.

-Summon Night 6: Lost Borders has been announced for the PS4 and Vita. It's due for a release in Japan in Spring of 2016. Depending on how well Summon Night 5 for the PSP sells over here after the presale period is up, there is a possibility of a North American release.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2015, 08:06:49 am »
-Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to the PS4 in Japan some time in 2016.

SEGA trolling much?

I played this game on JP servers for like one year, that's a really good game and not releasing it in the West is simply a shame. The way the game works means the publisher would have needed a good team to produce a lot of community events content, which works wonder in Japan with the SEGA team but maybe they never found any competent western team to handle this or wouldn't take the financial risk after the crisis they went through...

Anyway i'm sure this could have been a big success and even with friends on the JP server with a patched game client, the language barrier was frustrating and not being part of the community events was kinda lame, that's why we finally stopped after a year.
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

argyle

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2015, 10:27:03 am »
I still wish they'd localize PSO2 because I was a big PSO fan back in the day. But I'm not sure I'd really care as much as I would have back when the game was first announced. Franklly, Warframe has out-PSO'd PSO. PSO2 would have to be mind-blowingly awesome to compete IMO, and I just get the feeling I'd be let down by it now. 

became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the

abe

« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2015, 11:14:35 am »
Woo, the first trailer for Miracle Girls Festival (PS Vita) from Comiket 88 is out. It's only 30 or so seconds long but I'm so excited. ;D

argyle

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2015, 09:53:01 am »
Man, I really hope Tokyo Xanadu for the Vita gets released over here. An awesome looking JRPG that isn't filled with half-naked girls is getting rare for that system.  :-\

abe

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2015, 02:35:27 pm »
I hope so as well. It does look pretty awesome. I think there's a good chance that it might get a western release. :)

abe

« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2015, 10:01:27 pm »
-Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshouki is receiving an HD port with some added improvements for the PS Vita in Japan on November 12th. Some of the additions to this version include an improved interface with touch control support, as well as trophies. It releases in Japan on November 12th. It's not particularly likely to get a North American release, but there may be a slight possibility of a localization if Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence (PS4) does when it releases in NA next Tuesday.

-Nippon Ichi Software has announced a new title, a dungeon crawler called Refrain no Chika Meikyuu to Majo no Ryodan for the Vita. According to the Gematsu article I read, it translates to something like Refrain’s Underground Labyrinth and the Witch Brigade. Not too many details out for it yet, other than a rough release date of winter for Japan. Most of NIS's games seem to be getting localizations lately, so I can't imagine that this would be any different.

-Hyperdimension Great War Neptune Vs. Sega Hardware Girls (PS Vita) has been given a Japanese release date of November 26th. I'm assuming that this will receive a North American release eventually because the rest of the Neptunia franchise has so far.

-Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters is receiving an updated version in Japan. The game, Mato Kurenai Yuugekitai: Daybreak Special Gigs, will release on the PS4, PS3, and PS Vita in Japan this November.

abe

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2015, 09:02:20 pm »
New Miku game yay! ;D ;D ;D

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA X has been announced for release in Japan in 2016. The Vita version is due for a release some time in March, while the PS4 version will be releasing some time in the fall of 2016. A localization is pretty likely, given the way SEGA has handled the franchise in North America lately.

Here be the first Japanese trailer/reveal