Author Topic: Movie tie-in games - Which ones are are good? What's the worst?  (Read 3004 times)

razorbeamz

We all know that they're almost  bad, but some are good, and some are REALLY bad!
My collection doesn't include my Steam or PSN games, just physical games.

maximo310

Re: Movie tie-in games - Which ones are are good? What's the worst?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Some good movie games are Spider Man 2, From Russia with Love, Batman Begins, Cat in the Hat, and Peter Jackson's King Kong.
I think some of the worst movie games made are Dick Tracy on the NES. Street Fighter: The Movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future series, Charlie's Angels, and E.T.

abe

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:42:16 pm »
Both The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King for the GameCube/PS2/XBox were pretty decent, especially for movie games. They follow the movies pretty closely, there's lots of action, and a decent battle system that consists of more than just pressing the same buttons repeatedly.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 07:15:19 pm »
I double what abe said. Two Towers and Return of the King games were pretty good.
The Chronicles of Riddick games were great. Probably one of the very few cases were the games were actually better than the films.
Disney's Aladdin and Lion King were decent too.

The worst movie tie in game I ever played was Reign of Fire for the GameCube. I think it was also on PS2 and Xbox. I think if it was an early PlayStation 1 release it would be have okay but damn... it was just a really dated looking. And the gameplay wasn't good either.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:33:03 pm »
I don't know if you can call them movie-tie-ins per se, but apparently the new transformers games are really good

pikalink91

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
A Bug's Life on PS1 is a really good game, loved it as a kid and love it to this day!!^_^

Treasure Planet is decent, on both PS1 and PS2.

Chicken Little is very fun in my opinion :-)

Wall-E (PS2 version) is also pretty good :3

Bottom line, Disney does some really good movie-licens games x3

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 08:59:18 pm »
I think I might be in the minority, but I've always really liked the NES versions of Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future 2+3. Roger Rabbit has decent music, fun driving, goofy weapons, and lots of exploration. BTTF also has good music, and the mini-game segments to find artifacts were great.

Good:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (2600): It's a lot like Defender, but Defender is good, so this is too
Tron (Arcade): All around good game with a beautiful cabinet to complement it
WarGames (Colecovision): It's like a more advanced version of Missile Command
Batman: The Video Game (NES): The music alone is worth playing it
Willow (NES): Nice action RPG in the style of Zelda or Final Fantasy Adventure
Navy Seals (Game Boy): Not super awesome, but a decent side scroller with good visuals
Hook (Game Boy): I haven't played the other versions much, but the GB version is a quality game
Jurassic Park (SNES): Great music, nice visuals, slightly frustrating early First Person Shooter segments
Aladdin (SNES & Genesis): Two totally different games, but both excellent
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (Genesis): Super weird, hilarious fun. Look it up on YouTube if you've never seen it!

BAD:

Bebe's Kids (SNES): A terrible game for a terrible movie. I have it for cheap laughs, but it's just sad.
No Escape (SNES): Great movie, not so great game unfortunately...
Dennis the Menace (SNES): Another surprisingly great film, but cursed with a clumsy movie tie-in. Mr. Wilson looks like Saddam Hussein

kyosai7

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:34:39 pm »
I'll throw in another recommendation for The Two Towers and Return of the King on Xbox. Would The Third Age count, too? It's a LotR game, where you're a group following the main fellowship. The main difference being that there was a special mode where you were evil, being orcs and the Balrog, killing the main group, to unlock gear for the main game, and it was  turn based RPG. Ahh, remember when EA was a really good company?

Also, X-Men Origins: Wolverine. A FANTASTIC hack n slash that really captured the essence of Wolverine's character.

Does John Woo's Stranglehold count? It was an official sequel to one of his earlier films.

Spider-Man 2 is really awesome (I want to try the Amazing Spider-Man games)

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Movie was awesome. Both the Genesis and Super Nintendo games are really fun, yet different takes on the beat em up.

I also liked TMNT. It was a fun, b-grade Prince of Persia. Same with TRON: Evolution, but with the added bonus of disc combat.

Now, for the long list of awesome movie Star Wars games...

• Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  • Episode I: Jedi Power Battles
  • Battlefront II
  • The Force Unleashed(it was the official bridge between eps 3 and 4, before Disney wiped the canon clean, for better or ill)
  • TIE Fighter
  • Star Wars Trilogy: The Arcade Game

I actually didn't care for the Super Star Wars games too much. I'm not a fan of 2d hack n slash games (which is why I didn't REALLY get into gaming until N64/PS1, although I did go back and discover some wonderful RPGs)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:43:03 pm »
Some good movie games are Spider Man 2, From Russia with Love, Batman Begins, Cat in the Hat, and Peter Jackson's King Kong.
I think some of the worst movie games made are Dick Tracy on the NES. Street Fighter: The Movie, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Back to the Future series, Charlie's Angels, and E.T.

Spider-Man 2 is a good movie tie-in, but only if you haven't played a dozen-or-so other Spider-Man games that have come since, because a good majority of them completely copied Spider-Man 2.

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:23 am »
I have not played it yet just bought it a month or two ago... You guys let me know if it is a good one one bad one..... The Warriors for ps2

Limeface

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:19:59 am »
The Spongebob Squarepants Movie game was actually a pretty awesome Platformer. Really unique level design. The Up game and Incredibles: Rise of the Underminer were solid games.  Heavy Iron Studios was the developer on all 3 of those and they do really solid work with the licenses they work on.
The Thor: God of Thunder DS game is a really awesome and overlooked Beat 'Em Up/Platformer. Looks great for a DS game.

The Toy Story 3 game has really fun levels. Doesn't exaclty follow the movie's plot but really holds its own.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a Zelda clone. I remember it had some really difficult level design.

Ghost Rider feels really similar to God of War, but not in a bad way.

The Ghostbusters game released 4 or 5 years ago is a really cool game that really captured the movie's likeness.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:46:15 am by Limeface »

MJMaranan

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 03:51:55 am »
I've heard that Mark Hamill made one hell of a Wolverine voice and that gameplay is pretty awesome on X-2: Wolverine's Revenge.

As for games I've actually tried that I believe are good...  Aladdin and Hook for the Sega Genesis, Robots for Xbox (or Gamecube?) even though the controller gives me carpal tunnel, & Spider-Man and Batman Begins for the PS2.

Please check out the games I have for sale.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 08:22:56 am »
No Escape (SNES): Great movie, not so great game unfortunately...

NO ESCAPE!!!
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 10:50:59 am »
I'm surprised no one mentioned E.T. (if they did then I totally missed it XD)

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 11:47:10 am »
^^ They did   ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 10:04:13 am by badATchaos »